Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Early September 1862

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Early September 1862 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:36:27 AM   
jchastain

OK... let's see how the new strategy is working...

No battles. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing right now. I suppose we'll see. I'm excited to see the new camp and invalid corp advance coming on line though. Moving so many armies around, there is a lot of attrition to deal with. 2 more RR also. That'll help if their partisans will let me actually use them from time to time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 361
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:39:24 AM   
jchastain

95,000 replacements needed. I'm missing an entire army. 5K per turn coming back on line though. Still a long way to go, but at least we're starting to build the infrastructure to get it done.

New York now insisting on a Manufacturing Center. I suspect its too expensive right now, but I'll try to deal with that when I can. He's getting more logistics support. I trailing in that category I pretty sure. Eventually I need to make that up too. Once again, all I need is everything.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 362
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:42:19 AM   
jchastain

His Nashville forces didn't come out to play at all. I need to leave Keyes in place to protect the supply lines. Hatchie really is the key province since it is fed by railroad from both the Paducah and, more importantly, the Tennessee River which is held with Ft Henry.

That army might as well dig in. I don't see it going anywhere in the immediate future.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 363
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:44:46 AM   
jchastain

Down in Mississippi we made some progress. No enemy to be seen though. As tenuous as those supply lines are, I expect to see him try something down here. And I have to rememver that these are sieging troops and not my best fighters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 364
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:46:18 AM   
jchastain

In the East, Robert E came up to play face off. And he has a baby division down near the Kentucky border. That's one of the potential harrassing forces we may have to deal with.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 365
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:46:18 AM   
nmleague

Quick question, in what corp do you have U S Grant and at what level?

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 366
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:48:07 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: nmleague

Quick question, in what corp do you have U S Grant and at what level?

Grant hasn't appeared yet. The talent scouts are out looking for promising young officers though.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 367
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:50:20 AM   
jchastain

Let's check the amphibeous force. They got down off the coast of North Carolina. Not bad. The whole areas is undefended. I'd be tempted to go ashore here, but he's fairly well fortified and the supply situation would be untenable. Better proceed to florida as originally planned.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 368
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:53:50 AM   
jchastain

One advice I'll pass along. When your ships just won't move, look to see if RR movement is still enabled. There are no tracks at sea but if RR movement is toggled, the game still things that's what you're trying to do. I'm not trying to stir up trouble here, just saying - look at RR movement toggle when your ships won't move. You've now been warned.

OK, D-Day. We'll hit the beach at Jacksonville and then will be making our way to Tallahassee (though not this turn I suspect).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 369
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 5:59:20 AM   
jchastain

With that done, let's look at the overview once again. If you forget the fact that most of those big boxes are full of troops who don't realize there are bugle calls for orders other than retreat, then it doesn't look too bad. But that is one motley invasion force.

EDIT: Ooops, I obvious took that one prior to the landing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jchastain -- 11/17/2006 6:02:58 AM >

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 370
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:00:53 AM   
jchastain

In New Jersey, the new Siege unit came on line as expected.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 371
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:02:02 AM   
jchastain

We'll have him meet up with the other one, move them forward and equip them with some of our new big guns so that they can do some real damage.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 372
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:02:45 AM   
jchastain

In the mean time, the siege on Jackson can't wait so let's get it going with what we have in place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 373
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:03:50 AM   
jchastain

And again, we have to up our supply priorities for most of the units on the map. With everything moving all at once, it takes a lot to keep the logistics working.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 374
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:05:21 AM   
nmleague

Lost track of the date of the current turn. Do Generals come in when they were historically available? Was just wondering because US Grant lead the forces that captured Fort Donelson in February 1862.

So far from reading the AARs forts seem to be over powered, Fort Henry actually fell in one day, mainly to gunboats, with little loss on both sides (US 40, CSA 75), and Fort Donelson took only 5 days to capture but more importantly the CSA lost over 15,000 to Union losses of just over 2,000.

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 375
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:05:21 AM   
jchastain

Looks like I can't even afford my current anemic level of diplomacy. Oh well, the army must be fed, so tell the state department there is a gift ban for the remainder of the year.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 376
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:09:03 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: nmleague

Lost track of the date of the current turn. Do Generals come in when they were historically available? Was just wondering because US Grant lead the forces that captured Fort Donelson in February 1862.

So far from reading the AARs forts seem to be over powered, Fort Henry actually fell in one day, mainly to gunboats, with little loss on both sides (US 40, CSA 75), and Fort Donelson took only 5 days to capture but more importantly the CSA lost over 15,000 to Union losses of just over 2,000.

Do, you are right. I forgot to change the subject this round. It is now Late September 1862, not early.

Not sure when Grant enters the game. That might be a better question for Gil. He's the historian.

There were several bugs in the siege routines that have hopefully been corrected now. But still, sieges are not fast affairs in the game. That said, there are options to make them faster or slower, but I find that those options have a material impact on the pace and outcome of the game.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 377
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:11:46 AM   
jchastain

OK, I have a good supply of horses now. In fact, I am now producing 58 per turn. Since money is far too tight to buy Cav right now, I think I'll keep investing in camps as the need is still great and this little march across the south won't help stem that demand. Since the Gov wants a Mint and cash is short, that's a logical build also but iron is tight right now so it will have to wait a turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 378
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:13:23 AM   
jchastain

I really doubt he'll charge across at the AoP. With all that's going on behind him, I don't see him moving into the blue territory. The more I think about it, the more I suspect I can reduce the supply of the AoP since the needs are so great elsewhere. Let's revisit those orders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 379
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 6:14:53 AM   
jchastain

Sure enough, that helps the finances tremendously. I could bump diplomacy back up a bit, but let's let that sleeping dog lie. The treasury needs every dollar I can get to it right now.

So, I'll leave it alone and that's where we'll end the turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 380
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 9:40:29 AM   
fabertong

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

jchastain.......Thanks for the great AAR.....could you post a turn routine(what you check, in what order)......I can gather the feel of how you play ........but would love to see a simple breakdown.......please.........(always be polite....I tell my 5 year old twins)...........

Believe it or not, the sequence you see is pretty much what I am doing each turn.

• I start with the Event Reports to get an idea of what happened.
  • Then I scroll around the map to see how far I got and check out any moves he made.
  • I generally decide on a course of action from examining the map and poking my mouse in to look at various armies. Sometimes I'll just go ahead and move - sometimes I'll check the logistics first. It really depends on what has been happening. If the army was sitting still, I'm generally confident logistics are fine. If things are more tenuous, I'll go check the numbers before committing to the moves.
  • I then tend to do my builds. The city list is where I tend to do them. Though sometimes when I am tooling around the map making my moves, I'll plop in somewhere to get things going.
  • Towards the end, I'll scan a few things. Supplies (Military List) is usually the first. My income and diplomacy (Nation Screen). Sometimes I'll look at Research. Occasionally I might look at governors (though I often rely on the Events report to tell me when I seriously need to do something). I probably should do this much sooner, but I get all excited by the tactics and tend to get caught up in that first. Were I giving recommendations for building good habits though, I'd definitely suggest doing this sooner. I can't tell you how many times I've spent all my resources and then noticed that I really should have built something for a governor instead of whatever I did. At the start of the game, I was pretty good about checking Diplomacy early since that is such a money pit and is so important to everything else.

My nature isn't to be highly orderly or disciplined (which is why it is likely a very good thing that I chose a career in business instead of the military). That probably comes out in watching me meander through my moves. I am truly a casual gamer at best. When you read Hard Sarge's accounts, you are watching a master at work. I continue to be amazed at the depth of thought he applies to his actions. In comparison, I'm a hack. But these types of games are still a nice little diversion that I really enjoy (even though I am quite sure I'll never make the hall of fame for any of them).

Thanks for the info.......love the AAR...............

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 381
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 10:46:40 PM   
jchastain

The siege in Jackson has begun. And it doesn't look to be a fast one or a painless one. Oh well, that's why we sent the shock troops.

Also, looks like the Rebs are investing heavily in technology and continue to outpace me in advances. Just one more thing to keep in mind.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 382
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 10:52:37 PM   
jchastain

Looks like their Navy attempted to react to my invasion force, but we repulsed. He lost 14 ships. That's not insignificant for him.

And... oh my.... Cumberland? Lee came across into Maryland? And it appears he was beaten back. That's a big deal. I didn't think there was any chance he'd come right at me. That was a mistake and one he will have to be made to pay for.

Reinforcements are starting to come in well. Still a long way to go. But we're moving at a good pace now.

Disease in Hatchie? Ut oh. This could be bad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 383
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 10:56:23 PM   
jchastain

Hatchie might have been the last place I wanted disease, but I must admit it isn't as bad as I feared. Looks like a loss of about 100 per unit - couple thousand total. It could have been much much worse.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 384
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 10:58:03 PM   
jchastain

The governors are getting restless. I really do need to take a closer look at them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 385
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 11:01:14 PM   
jchastain

OK, the important thing that happened was the battle in cumberland. Let's look at the battle report there and get a feel for the details.

He abandoned a few weapons, but nothing of any significance. One minnie and a few muskets. A few units lost some supply, but not all that many. Other than taking an extra 10K worth of casualties, he wasn't hurt by his move as badly as I had hoped. The real question now is whether I pursue.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 386
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 11:03:55 PM   
jchastain

Even with that win, the armies still seem fairly evenly matched. The kenawha division slipped off somewhere. Still he's down right now. If I am going in after him, this is the time to do it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 387
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 11:09:32 PM   
jchastain

It really comes down to supplies. At the end of last turn, I reduced the supply priority of the AoP and that is coming back to haunt me. I just didn't expect him to go on the offensive. But I can't go chasing after him with a supply level of 5. Even with his losses, he is likely at least that well supplied and he would be on the defense this time around. For the sake of a few bucks, I'm not in position to take advantage of my biggest win. The only good news is I suppose the ANV is neutered for a while. He won't come back at me after that loss. My army is bigger than his and starting to make progress. If I can keep his most powerful force here idle, staring at me in a standoff, then that's a win for me because it means his most potent force isn't dealing with my mass of poor quality scavengers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 388
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 11:10:47 PM   
jchastain

My siege guns didn't get nearly as far as I had hoped they would. Oh well, just need to keep pushing them along. But for now, I might as well accept that they won't be in Mississippi where I need them any time soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 389
RE: Early September 1862 - 11/17/2006 11:12:59 PM   
jchastain

Which means the siege in Jackson will continue to proceed at a crawl. This will almost certainly go into the winter anyway, so I might as well back off and use encircle him. That will slow progress but it will reduce our casualties since this isn't going to happen soon enough to move on to another location for the winter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Early September 1862 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI