Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Late May 1862

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Late May 1862 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Late May 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:05:00 AM   
jchastain

Finally... it has become the civil war and not just the civil maneuver.

Mississippi was exactly what I expected, a big win for the good guys. Doh! I had my second corp in the army and hadn't reorged and it was lost. Oooops. 50 money, down the drain. Oh well.

Battle in Shenandoah? How the HECK did he think to meet me there? Has he been sitting there the entire time? Oh well. One brigade surrendered but generally speaking it wasn't a big deal at all. And at least now he has seen some action in the east so hopefully he'll be less inclined to let his forces get to where he really needs them.

If you look closely at the text, we won a battle. They won a small battle. The distinction might be small, but it is important when you start adding up victory points. Make no mistake, we won this round.

Governors Hicks blocked our muster, sure enough. But we got some labor from him. Oh look, his popularity fell. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 211
Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:07:15 AM   
jchastain

>50,000 troops short still. Disease hurts.

The political front is happily quiet. That's a good thing as now is not the time for needless distractions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 212
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:11:50 AM   
jchastain

OK, we'll start in the west where the real action is. Keyes has them on the run and will continue to pursue. Their best bet is probably to fall back and regroup with Johnstons's corp forming in Knoxville. I want to make the trip as painful as possible for them. That would be a fairly potent force if they recombine, but the entire west is now undefended and mine for the taking. I'll leave the two largest armies in Nashville to get that seiege started. It will be a nasty one. But the smaller 4th Army can occupy middle Tennessee and then continue into Mississippi or Alabama. I need to start cutting off his resources and reducing his ability to build and feed his army. He invested way too much in those memphis forts and now he should be starting to appreciate that they aren't going to help and he has a real problem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 213
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:17:20 AM   
jchastain

I don't see him moving into Kentucky with all the problems he has back home right now, but it doesn't pay to be careless. My strong garrisons are too far in the rear right now and won't do me much good there. I'll use my RR to get them from the Central Mississippi to Lexington just in case he tries something.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 214
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:19:30 AM   
jchastain

OK, let's go see what happened in the east. Hmmmm.... he probably has just been sitting there. I have no idea why, but I hope he continues to sit there as I really don't want that useless bunch of hills. I'll let my division fall back to Annapolis and hope he is content to keep sitting still.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 215
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:21:05 AM   
jchastain

I think Wheeling is actually in more danger than Kentucky. I'll pull the Cleveland garrison to Pittsburgh, which will free the Pittsburge garrison to go to Wheeling. It really isn't necessary to move units across the map. It is often more effective to just cascade them down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 216
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:23:28 AM   
jchastain

I can't imagine anyone getting to Cleveland, but again, why be careless? Buffalo has a fort nearby so I'll just evacuate the city and take that garrison down to Cleveland. I don't see an English threat so the duplicate garrisons are really unnecessary. I still think the morale should go up for any unit allowed to leave Buffalo, but that suggestion didn't make it into the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 217
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:27:00 AM   
jchastain

OK, last turn we decided that some additional research wouldn't be a bad thing. Rhode Island has a university and an open plot of land. I'll go ahead and put an engineering school there. I bet one day everyone will be begging for admission to the Rhode Island Institute of Technology. And to think, I made it possible.

The governor isn't a big fan of mine. He doesn't dislike me, but he really doesn't much care either way. But as politicans over the ages have learned, it doesn't much matter - the academics are going to do what they want to do regardless. Put another way, research isn't impacted by governors, so it is safe to build this here even though we're not highly popular in these parts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 218
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:29:58 AM   
jchastain

Since...
(a) We have sufficient horses for either a CAV unit or a Camp, and
(B) We don't have the cash for a CAV unit, and
(C) We need both anyway...

We might as well go ahead and build a camp. It doesn't much matter where, so we'll plot it in the with the corn fed boys.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 219
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:31:09 AM   
jchastain

And finally, notice that there is no diplomacy screen.  I didn't look at it.  Finally.

So, that ends yet another turn...

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 220
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:36:55 AM   
jchastain

No battles. darn. The siege is goin... wait. Does that say eleven THOUSAND casualties? choke. I figured he has upgraded that fort... but 11,000! OK, ummm... that'll need some attention or else I won't have an army left.

2 more tech advances for him. Hmmm... he seems to be surpassing me in the tech race. Got to keep up with the Jones.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 221
RE: Early June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:39:40 AM   
jchastain

Those arsenals from a few turns back showed up. That'll be nice. Reinforcements keep trickling in and more continue to be needed. Looks like we are both investing in England and both managed to reduce the other. Guess the brits are tiring of both of us. That's OK by me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 222
Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:41:36 AM   
jchastain

Let's start by looking at this siege. The current approach clearly isn't going to work. I think we'll try an encirclement. It'll slow things down a bit, but it will keep us out of the range of those big guns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 223
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:42:54 AM   
jchastain

Once again I'll try to get the 4th Army out of the gravitational pull of that fort. There is just so much free land for the taking, it is a shame not to go grab some of it. Thanks Goodness Keyes didn't get caught up in that mess.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 224
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:45:13 AM   
jchastain

Speaking of Keyes, let's take a look at his Illinois Army and make sure supply is still OK. They have been busy recently. Generally looks fine, but the 8th Division is down a bit and that is where I have some of my best troops. I'll kick them up to high priority. That will not only get them more supplies but it will also help ensure they get first crack at the replacements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 225
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:48:04 AM   
jchastain

While I'm here I notice that my artillery piece with the big gun doesn't have any attributes. Let's go all out and load it up with Zouaves and a Baggage Train for good measure. Ooops. I also see that my 2nd cavalry unit never got a decent weapon. Cav uses different weapons that infantry and the best I have available for them is the Musketoon (QC3). So the oversight isn't all that big, but let's go ahead and get them what I can while I'm here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 226
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:50:48 AM   
jchastain

OK, with that done we can look at the situation. Sibley and Hindman ducked down south to Tuscaloosa. They obviously didn't want to concede the entire west and are trying to duck down? And the Bragg came up to support. Planning a combined attack on me? I guess they haven't yet figured out that this is my best fighting army. But I'm willing to teach them that lesson.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 227
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:54:14 AM   
jchastain

I'm the agressor and I don't want to just sit back and HOPE they attack me. Time to be bold. If I go south and Bragg comes west, I'll lose my supply lines. I suppose there is some risk of that in both directions actually.

While I think I could take them together, let's take a shot at interrupting their plan and picking them off one at a time. First, I'll go east to Huntsville. With any luck, I'll catch Bragg sitting on his heels.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 228
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 8:59:12 AM   
jchastain

And then, I'll double back and hopefully catch Sibley and Hindman expecting support that will never come.

So, ideally they are planning a joint attack and I'll catch Bragg alone before he can begin and then get back to here where I will be the defender against the other two. I have no idea if I can move this army between two provinces and fight two engagements in that short span of time, but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. If they are coming after me and get here before I get there, then so be it. If they are planning to sit still, then I'll at least bag one of them. And if they are running.... well... then I'll just have to deal with that if it happens. My gut tells me that they still think they're better than me and that they're coming. I hope I'm right.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 229
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:01:58 AM   
jchastain

2 turns before a new Cav and a new Inf show up. I ought to build a Corp now to house them (and hopefully a new division next turn). My containers still aren't at the quality level I'd like. In fact, I need to build some academies so that I can get better containers and more promotions. But they cost heavy cash and that's been a problem for the entirety of the war. Maybe this fall I can figure something out so that I'll have better leadership in place in time for the '63 campaigns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 230
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:03:01 AM   
jchastain

In fact, cash is short again while other resources have small surpluses. Time to swtich New York back to making Cash instead of Labor.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 231
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:05:15 AM   
jchastain

In fact, I ought to go ahead and spend some of those surpluses and see if I can get anything useful. Let's face it, cash isn't going to suddenly become plentiful any time soon. Hmmmm. Gov wants a signal tower. Kind of silly to put one so far north, but since I have the excess resources, why not?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 232
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:06:34 AM   
jchastain

The rest of it, we'll try to spend more rationally. A couple of RR stations wouldn't be bad. And a few more arsenals. Those new cannons just require a ton of guns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 233
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:10:12 AM   
jchastain

I haven't checked stats since the start of the war. I really haven't thought about it. Most of them don't show much honestly. there haven't been a lot of big fights that radically shanged anything. But I did find the strength graph to be interesting. I was thinking I was just dominating him. But instead it shows that despite starting with a reasonable lead, I have now allowed him to pretty much catch me. I can't let myself get too cocky. He's got a lot of troops out there somewhere. Just thank goodness they don't seem to be where the fighting is. If he wants to come at me in drips and drops, I'm all for that. But we need to get his trend line going in the proper direction.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 234
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:12:55 AM   
jchastain

Since we may have a troop issue, now might be a good time to muster some men in areas where the Govs aren't very friendly. Elections are coming up before too long so I don't want to hurt my friends. Looking at it though, the only one I see where I can:
(a) Not hurt a friendly governor, and
(b) not hurt my economy (ie little is produced there)
is Delaware. And they only have a manpower of 1, so I can't muster there. Infantry takes 2. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I'll try again after the elections and right before we have the next refresh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 235
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:14:29 AM   
jchastain

One thing I can do is use my garrisons more effectively. Let's keep moving some of the underutilized ones from the Northeast down towards where we're building that new corp. That will kill 2 birds with one stone - getting more troops to the front and making sure I don't leave another corp open and lose it again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 236
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:16:21 AM   
jchastain

AoP will eventually have to become a reasonable fighting force. The Eastern standoff won't last forever. So I might as well use some of my available gund to upgrade a few more of the key units there. There actually are a couple of darn good units there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 237
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 9:17:37 AM   
jchastain

And with the end of my turn comes another upgrade. I'm finally getting Target Practice I. The turn AFTER he received Target Practice 2. I didn't do anything to catch up with the Jones this turn, but I still need to take care of that.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 238
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 6:18:07 PM   
Grotius

What a great AAR!

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 239
RE: Late June 1862 - 11/14/2006 7:27:47 PM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

What a great AAR!

Thanks! I love hearing the feedback. And I can't wait to get home from work later and continue with it. Online system architectures seem so trivial compared with saving the union and preserving freedom for all posterity.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> RE: Late May 1862 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI