Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/24/2003 3:31:34 PM   
Marek Tucan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]I'll second you on that, Charles.

The Germans had excellent field repair shops (and a truly devoted mechanics corps..). Short of a completely burned out tank, most "destroyed" tanks were operational a few days later, or cannibalized for parts. They went to great lengths recovering disabled tanks, even under fire. Every division had at least one, if not many, tank repair shops.

If this was a practice adopted due to the shortage of new tanks, or just a standard army procedure is beyond my knowledge, but my guess is the former.

Anyway, the English, Russian and U.S. troops all noted the German efficiency and probably adopted their own versions.

Putting extra rounds in a dead tank was, AFAIK, practice on all sides, as HEAT does very little structural damage to a vehicle = easy claimed for repairs. [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe the Russians were also quite good in fast repairing - at least I've read quite alot of German field repair stations were composed mostly by HIWIS wit a minimum of German crew, because the Russians were able to fix the damaged tanks fater than the german mechanics...

And I've also read that it was quite common that say a T-34 was claimed destroyed but was repaired, re-crewed and back in combat within few hours even in the case of quite serious damage...

Tuccy

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 31
- 6/24/2003 3:38:17 PM   
Sentry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arethusa

Using another countries vehicle might be difficult without some time but your own should be a snap. Heck, after firing 105mm in real life, I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to use a 75mm ATG pretty quick if there was an enemy tank heading right for me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Right....i bet u do.And in situation of combat i guess the german tankers figure out quite fast how does T-34 work,cuz if they dont they just die.
And yes....ofcourse the german crew should be able to man atleast empty german tank

War has always been and always WILL be.It`s in human`s nature....

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 32
- 6/24/2003 3:42:18 PM   
Sentry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marek Tucan

And I've also read that it was quite common that say a T-34 was claimed destroyed but was repaired, re-crewed and back in combat within few hours even in the case of quite serious damage... [/B][/QUOTE]

The reason for this was that T-34 was a very simple tank.Its parts could be changed very quickly and if correct armor plate was not found: Heck,this 10mm armor from T-60 will do ;) .
I have even heard that several times when T-34 engine was knocked out it was replaced with truck engine (GAZ-AA).
Now you bet that Russian tankists actually didnt like to use repaired tanks,because they never knew what "modifications" were used.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 33
- 6/26/2003 11:20:52 PM   
Griefbringer

Manning abandoned enemy vehicles would be pretty cool, but doing it in RL on field of battle might lead to something nasty called "Friendly Fire" - it is quite darn hard to signal to the rest of the company that the tank is now in your hands in the middle of the battle - thus when the turret starts moving again on that tank, everyone will rather gun it again rather than go and see who is inside.

I think normally the enemy vehicles were captured only after the battle, and then given a new paint job and insignia before being taken again to use.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 34
- 6/27/2003 1:47:19 AM   
Sentry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Griefbringer
[
I think normally the enemy vehicles were captured only after the battle, and then given a new paint job and insignia before being taken again to use. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm....maybe.But i guess the tank crew saw tank they damaged and its bailed crew.When tank is remanned and acts strangely i dont think they will open fire.Maybe the germans took flag from their tank and attached it to their new tank (T-34 for instance) so others would see that its under new management.These are my opinions how to use enemy tank during combat situation.I really dont think they were used...

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI