Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hearts of Iron 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Hearts of Iron 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 10:48:40 AM   
doomtrader

Most probably I'll buy this game. Just to compare with HoI 2.

maybe you could tell me - can you see the difference between those two provinces:
Here is Paris zoomed in:

And here is when you zoom out:

Here are the whole images:
http://images.strategyinformer.com/screenshots/00280354.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/750/hoi39mg6.jpg

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 31
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 1:56:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yeah...the river is not going through it in the zoomed out level

*EDIT*
Actually the river is totally the wrong shape

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 10/3/2008 1:58:10 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 32
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 2:36:45 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Well if T don't like it then I don't like it! And if Grell don't like it then I don't like it and well,.. I just don't LIKE IT!
I do like the idea of HOI3, heck if it takes three tries to get a game to be good then shame on all of you for buying the first two tries.

so that means everyone who bought WitP should be ashamed of themselves since it is being "reworked" for a second release in an attempt to get it right?

careful who you condemn as you may just find it turns out to be yourself!

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 33
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 3:16:15 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
so that means everyone who bought WitP should be ashamed of themselves since it is being "reworked" for a second release in an attempt to get it right?

Given that WitP was an extended version of Uncommon Valour, which was a re-working of Pacific War it could be argued that the upcoming Admiral's Edition is just PacWar 5.0

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 34
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 3:17:16 PM   
GShock

But how is this HOI? I didnt know there was a III out...gamersgate doesn't list it.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 35
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 3:42:26 PM   
Arsan

They just began developing HOI 3. It will take nearly a year before its released.
Regards

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 36
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 3:50:46 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

*EDIT*

Thanks,
that's make me sure that I'm not an idiot and it's not a zoom in and out issue, as Johan was trying to bamboozled me.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 37
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/3/2008 4:26:31 PM   
Arsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

*EDIT*

Thanks,
that's make me sure that I'm not an idiot and it's not a zoom in and out issue, as Johan was trying to bamboozled me.

I would say one of the two images is from a mockup map and not the real one...
River inside regions instead than on the borders looks a pretty bad idea (like in TOAW )

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 38
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/4/2008 10:15:53 AM   
GShock

Looks like HOI3 is planned for Q3 2009. So it's about 1 year from now.

I have to say Paradox games, according to me, are highly overrated. The infamous ping pong land combat bug totally spoiled EU3 for me. Now am tackling Victoria Revolutions (with VIP mod) and while i admit it's a brilliant way to devise economic, social and political issues in the industrialization period, i find myself at a loss on how bugs such as Pay 100$ loan (tooltip showing loan will be reduced 105$) can make it through final releases. There also seems to be a huge bug with AI management of PoPs who do not split when reaching 40k manpower thus hurting the AI economy very much (strange isn't it, that the AI can field such megalithic armies with a crippled economy? Not at all, it's called AI cheating, something everyone can do when he can't program an average AI player).

The guys at VIP have done a huge job with their mod to improve balance and gameplay. I think i am facing a huge game that was abandoned much sooner than it should have and which, under many aspects, is much better than EU3/NA (last expansion i bought).

I would really buy HOI2 + armageddon, but you see how it goes, Paradox is releasing a new title, after leaving behind severe bugs. It's the common doctrine of most dev houses in the strategy/simulation segment nowadays and it's truly sad.

What about Take Command2 Manassas...arty batteries shooting on each other for 30 minutes and the total kill count being 1 or 2...or AACW, when you siege Richmond and the Army supposed to stop you is in New York. These are gamebreakers.

One might decide to really buy a game only 2 years after its release when the most critical bugs have been solved and after making sure there's an alive modding community on the forums....the problem is that modding has its limits and after 2 years the game has been abandoned. Modders do what they can, but the game remains screwed up.

Too much competition in this segment, too many fragmented sales shared among too many companies...that's why.
It's between hard and impossible to find a game you can play for a year without fighting bugs yourself from morning to night. I share the same vision as Adam with difficulties when picking a new title. I am optimistic for a few Dev houses and very pessimistic with 90% of others i rate between insufficient and mediocre (happy to have discovered a few surprises lately).

You know what...that's all because they try to make things more complex than their manpower and investments can sustain. Why they do not want to merge with one another to release a big title with much increased quality i'll never understand. Perhaps that's because of greed.

With the best of luck wished to Paradox, I'm possibly (not surely) gonna buy HOI3 in 2011 IF the community is still alive by then and modding...and this will include 1 or 2 expansions they choose to release in place of fixing the game without further costs on their users. Objectionable policy but as long as quality is good that's not a problem with me. I'd rather pay 5EU per semester to sustain the developing than have them forced to build a new title and abandon the old one with all the users who bought it.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 39
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/4/2008 1:43:28 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: GShock

You know what...that's all because they try to make things more complex than their manpower and investments can sustain. Why they do not want to merge with one another to release a big title with much increased quality i'll never understand. Perhaps that's because of greed.

Because, in the wargames and TBS markets at least, that "big title with much increased quality" might shift 50% more copies than if if didn't have such much increased quality, while three 'broken' games will sell 200% more. It's not about 'greed', its about making a living. Not to mention that it's human nature to be over-ambitious about what you can achieve, and just as well - 'realism' in this market would just result in an endless stream of sequels and clones of games that have sold quite well before, and originality would be a thing of the past. The developers still dream and they still care, thank God.. even if their publishers don't and bank managers can't.

IMHO it's just something, within reason, that we have to live with. Anything that is inherently good tends to hang around long enough to get patched up. If it ever got too bad, people would just stop buying and take up chess... I don't consider your 'gamebreakers' to anything of the sort, for example. Maybe if we were all into shooters and RTS games we wouldn't have to, but they can sell orders of magnitude more copies than any TBS that doesn't have the name "Sid Meier" somewhere in the title.

The one plus point is at least we get variety, more than we have ever had before. It's no good for gamers who want an ACW or Napoleonic game if all that time and effort goes into the 'perfect' WW2 grand strategy game they have no interest in whatsoever.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/4/2008 1:47:05 PM >

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 40
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/4/2008 11:13:30 PM   
hazxan

quote:

ORIGINAL: orwell... with over 10k individual provinces,

No. Really. No. Don't go there...
Because THAT's what was wrong with HOI1 and HOI2. Not enough provinces. Add a few thousand more and all will be perfect.

quote:

ORIGINAL: orwell I'd say diplomacy is one of Paradox's areas they tend to struggle with.

You'll never notice it (or anything else) is broken because you'll be busy fiddling with over 10,000 provinces. Bafflement through micromanagement seems to be Paradox's strength.

< Message edited by NotaGrog -- 10/4/2008 11:14:37 PM >

(in reply to orwell)
Post #: 41
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/5/2008 1:11:27 AM   
Terminus

Yeah, well I'm as done with Paradox as I am with Ubisoft. Bad games made by unpleasant people in both instances.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to hazxan)
Post #: 42
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/5/2008 3:49:08 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Well if T don't like it then I don't like it! And if Grell don't like it then I don't like it and well,.. I just don't LIKE IT!
I do like the idea of HOI3, heck if it takes three tries to get a game to be good then shame on all of you for buying the first two tries.

Witp is being reworked? I didn't know anything about this!!!!!! Any links?

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 43
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 2:34:09 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

I would say one of the two images is from a mockup map and not the real one...

That's what I was suspected too.

quote:

River inside regions instead than on the borders looks a pretty bad idea (like in TOAW )

In EU3 if a River flow trough a province there is some % chance that during the attack you will have to fight trough the river.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 44
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 2:43:02 PM   
Arsan

quote:

In EU3 if a River flow trough a province there is some % chance that during the attack you will have to fight trough the river.

Didn't knew. I played EU2 for years and loved it but hated the "ugly 3D and no historical events" approach of EU3 and never tried it.
But lately i've heard good things about EU3 + expansions + MM mod.
Maybe i will get the imminent EU3 complete edition...
(another game to add to the list of games i own but don't have time to play )

Regards

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 45
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 2:48:17 PM   
doomtrader

EU3 is a good game IMHO, and I think that the new event system make a lot of good things for the game (in EU2 playing as Spain no matter how well you will play, everytime you will get an event about bankrupcy).
I also heard that the game is playable only with both addons (together it makes the game worth about 70 Euro).
MM is a great mod. The community is very strong and mod creators are eager to make the game as good as possible.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 46
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 3:00:08 PM   
Arsan

Hey! i liked going bankrupt!
For me EU (i began playing with EU1) was great mainly because of the historic events. But it seems mods and expansions added historicity to the EU3.
No doubt the best Paradox asset is the huge, strong and knowledgeable community of gamers and modders.

I had read that the complete edition of the EU3 game is released this month. 30 euros for the game plus the 2 expansions looks like a good deal! And by now i hope its pretty well patched.

Regards

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 47
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 3:22:29 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

30 euros for the game plus the 2 expansions looks like a good deal!

Indeed!

quote:

And by now i hope its pretty well patched.

AFAIK it is.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 48
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 3:36:35 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Hey! i liked going bankrupt!
For me EU (i began playing with EU1) was great mainly because of the historic events. But it seems mods and expansions added historicity to the EU3.
No doubt the best Paradox asset is the huge, strong and knowledgeable community of gamers and modders.

I had read that the complete edition of the EU3 game is released this month. 30 euros for the game plus the 2 expansions looks like a good deal! And by now i hope its pretty well patched.

Regards

Indeed it is, and I hear it's even more kickass than the EU2 in MP. Haven't tried MP myself in EU3 yet because of time constraints but I was pretty active in EU2 MP and it was one of the best MP experiences ever.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 49
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/6/2008 3:41:07 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
Witp is being reworked? I didn't know anything about this!!!!!! Any links?

http://www.matrixgames.com/news.asp?nid=468
Screenshots : ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/WarInThePacifc-AdmiralsEdition/WITPAE_screens_BETA.zip
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1076715

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 50
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/8/2008 7:28:30 PM   
GaryChildress

The only thing I don't like about HOI is the whole province system of movement. I much prefer hexes. Also the unit art was not all that impressive in HOI 2 I didn't think. Other than that they are definitely great games IMO.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 51
RE: Hearts of Iron 3 - 10/8/2008 10:26:51 PM   
doomtrader

You wanna hexes - wait for Bitter Glory
You wanna better unit art go for SKIF

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Hearts of Iron 3 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI