Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:17:22 PM   
Q-Ball

In AE, the Kuriles can be a defensive problem for Japan; alot of buildable bases right on your doorstep. There is something that can help though.

A number of 5th Fleet bases can be changed to General Defence(R), including Paramushiro Jima. This is important, because you can then use all the Restricted Home Island units, something like 150-200 planes, on Paramushiro Jima and Sakhalin. This includes the Mavis unit that is restricted, and is otherwise stuck at home.

The Restricted air units are often used for training, but rookies are better than nothing, and at any rate, that Mavis unit alone makes it worth it

Not sure if this is WAD, but the Kuriles aren't exactly Truk......I don't think it's gamey, since it's close to home

This also means building Paramushiro to a large airbase is probably a good idea, because the big fort there will make an Allied landing costly regaredless

Post #: 1
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:20:00 PM   
Mike Solli

Very sneaky, Q-Ball.  I like it!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:26:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Very sneaky, Q-Ball.  I like it!

+1. Thanks for the heads up.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:31:04 PM   
Q-Ball

If you are really industrious, I suppose that means you can airlift restricted ground troops out there as well....I think. Haven't tried that. But the air units works.

I don't think it's sneaky, since the Kuriles are much easier in AE for the Allies (IRL, they didn't consider it long), and the Japanese did consider them part of the Home Islands.

I think a line would be crossed on this type of thing if, for example, Saipan could be changed. THAT probably would not be kosher.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:32:11 PM   
USSAmerica

Dastardly Japanese players!  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:33:00 PM   
ny59giants

In WITP there had to be an LCU with the Command you wanted to change to on that base to change it. Is that the case in AE (need General Defense)??

If you can do all this then use your idle transport planes to air lift your troops to the bases. An AIR HQ from Honshu goes to Hakkaido by transport ealry in the game.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 4:49:04 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

In AE, the Kuriles can be a defensive problem for Japan; alot of buildable bases right on your doorstep. There is something that can help though.

A number of 5th Fleet bases can be changed to General Defence(R), including Paramushiro Jima. This is important, because you can then use all the Restricted Home Island units, something like 150-200 planes, on Paramushiro Jima and Sakhalin. This includes the Mavis unit that is restricted, and is otherwise stuck at home.

The Restricted air units are often used for training, but rookies are better than nothing, and at any rate, that Mavis unit alone makes it worth it

Not sure if this is WAD, but the Kuriles aren't exactly Truk......I don't think it's gamey, since it's close to home

This also means building Paramushiro to a large airbase is probably a good idea, because the big fort there will make an Allied landing costly regaredless

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 7:35:37 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

In WITP there had to be an LCU with the Command you wanted to change to on that base to change it. Is that the case in AE (need General Defense)??

If you can do all this then use your idle transport planes to air lift your troops to the bases. An AIR HQ from Honshu goes to Hakkaido by transport ealry in the game.

Probably still the case....which is why it works on Para Jima. I don't have the game up, but the Fort there is probably General Defense. For sure you can't move it.

Same deal with Sakhalin; there are a couple bases with General Defense units there. So those can change as well.

Move the AIR HQ up there is a real good idea. It isn't going to do much in Tokyo.

You can't change Okken Jima, but if you have an AIR HQ on Para, then you can use torps from it anyway (it will be in command range)

Airlifting some engineers also a pretty good idea, though I find in AE they have plenty to do anyway expanding ports, at least early-on, and are pretty cheap buys anyway.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 3/5/2010 7:37:19 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 8
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 8:25:02 PM   
ny59giants

I think you need to use some of those small AA companies. Change their command to 5th Fleet, transport to one of those empty bases, and then change the base command. You cannot change command on bases without an LCU present first. 

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 9
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 9:51:06 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Q-Ball,

Which Air HQ can get to Haikkado? I've been trying to get one there with no success as yet. And great idea for Paramushiro Q-Ball, although with your strategy in the DEI as Allied, I don't know how many players will decide to attack the Kuriles anymore!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 10
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/5/2010 11:21:36 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Q-Ball,

Which Air HQ can get to Haikkado? I've been trying to get one there with no success as yet. And great idea for Paramushiro Q-Ball, although with your strategy in the DEI as Allied, I don't know how many players will decide to attack the Kuriles anymore!

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a Perm Restricted Air HQ. You can move it by transport PLANE.

Michael, hadn't thought of that....transfer unit, then change HQ back. Might work.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 11
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 1:55:26 PM   
topeverest

Thanks,

This line of thought never entered my mind. Dick Dastardly definately would have approved of such a devious maneuver!

Andy M

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 12
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 3:51:56 PM   
LoBaron

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 13
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 3:59:46 PM   
WITPPL

cunning plan My Lord.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 14
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 4:40:52 PM   
Grollub

It's a plan worthy of the 'high commission of international cunning planning' ...

(See sig)

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 15
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 4:46:22 PM   
Mynok

What are the drawbacks of having 5th fleet troops on a General Defense base?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 16
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 5:01:39 PM   
WITPPL

to be serious.

I have to thank The Highest Commisioner of International Cunning Planinng [THCoICP] for this.

I was scratching my head lately how to blow damn Kuriles out just to secure my Northern flank.
My opponent clearly has chosen this path and will try some sneaky moves there for sure.

Lets experiment a bit.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 17
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 5:02:43 PM   
Grotius

Great idea! It doesn't strike me as gamey at all -- in game terms, I see the Kuriles as an extension of the Home Islands. And I still wonder whether the AE weather model makes it sufficiently difficult to conduct air and naval operations way up north.

I have the same question as Mynok. Also, are you suggesting we put an Air HQ in Paramushiro, or just on Hokkaido?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 18
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 5:07:55 PM   
WITPPL

Most Air HQs have a command radius of 1.

However,

There is a 11th Air FLEET HQ with a radius of 5. Planes in radius (wich covers 4 hexes around) will fly torpedoe missions.

If I get this right.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 19
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 7:16:43 PM   
Q-Ball

AIR HQ: The problem I found is that the Air HQs with 5 radius in the Home Islands have Motorized Support....so they can't be airlifted in whole. The Air Flotilla HQs, though, can, but only have a radius of one.

GAMEY?: I think not for the Kuriles, and for the Chichi Jima chain. VERY gamey for anything far outside the Home Islands, so folks should not do that outside Kuriles.

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 20
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 7:52:30 PM   
WITPPL

Under latest patch I can not switch Kurile bases to GD HQ.

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

It was such a splendid cunning plan...

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 21
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 8:30:41 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

You can if there is a unit in the hex that belongs to General Defence. The fort at Para may have been switched to a non-restricted command. Switch the Fort to GD, then try. For the other islands, land a cheap non-restricted unit, change it to GD, then change the base to GD

Interestingly, the bases in Taiwan start General Defence. Theoretically, no reason you can't fly a restricted Air HQ out to there

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 22
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 8:35:49 PM   
Mynok

Err....you don't really need any more Air HQs on Taiwan, do ya?

I'm still curious what drawbacks there will be having 5th fleet troops on a GD base. Are replacements affected? Disorg/fatigue recovery?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 23
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 8:42:29 PM   
topeverest

Gamey , but I'll take it.

This has got to qualify for the tip of the week.

Andy M

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 24
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 9:54:36 PM   
rader

By the way, if you are haivng trouble flying units in, try moving your ATRs to the destination and picking up the restricted troops.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 25
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/12/2010 11:01:26 PM   
Mark Weston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

You can if there is a unit in the hex that belongs to General Defence. The fort at Para may have been switched to a non-restricted command. Switch the Fort to GD, then try. For the other islands, land a cheap non-restricted unit, change it to GD, then change the base to GD

Interestingly, the bases in Taiwan start General Defence. Theoretically, no reason you can't fly a restricted Air HQ out to there

What seems to have happened is that the Para fort is now permanently restricted to 5th Fleet. So when you try to change the HQ for the base 5th Fleet is the only available option.

I presume this means that you have to air transport a General Defence unit to Para before you'll be able to change the HQ.

And I don't think it's gamey. It's a highly logical command re-organisation (in the case of the Kuriles). Obviously I wouldn't want to abuse it in more distant locations.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 26
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/15/2010 4:53:27 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

If one ships in an 11th Air flotila unit one can change the base to General defence since the 11th is attached to it.

(in reply to Mark Weston)
Post #: 27
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/29/2010 11:49:18 AM   
Mark Weston

Update:

Well I flew in an AA unit attached to 11th Flotilla. Para couldn't be re-assigned (all options apart from 5th Fleet greyed out). I reassigned the AA unit back to General Defence. Still could not re-assign Para. This is under patch 3, in scenario 2. I guess someone did consider this a loophole and closed it. Or am I missing something?

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 28
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/29/2010 2:30:13 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Very cunning ! .. drat LoBarons read it too .

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

Post #: 29
RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles - 3/29/2010 7:10:51 PM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

Update:

Well I flew in an AA unit attached to 11th Flotilla. Para couldn't be re-assigned (all options apart from 5th Fleet greyed out). I reassigned the AA unit back to General Defence. Still could not re-assign Para. This is under patch 3, in scenario 2. I guess someone did consider this a loophole and closed it. Or am I missing something?

My Paramushiro-jima has a coastal fortress unit on the hex that belongs to 5th Fleet... and the base belongs to 5th Fleet, as well. So it looks like it was fixed. My game was started after they released the last beta patch before the official patch was released.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI