Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:04:57 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adnan Meshuggi

So you and others say basically, the axis side (please do not ignore the other nations) has in 90 (99?)% of the games only the chance to do as they did historically?

In the moment the common axis player (compared with the common russian player) is far behind the historical results.

So, in gameterms, why should this be okay?
Nobody like to answer this easy question.

In 41 untill blizzard, the axis should cause on average as many losses as they did historically. Is it in the game?
no
in the blizzard, in history the germans were exhausted and depleted. Their supply lines were thin, overstretched. In the game the axis side mostly avoid this mistakes, are digged in, prepared and "well supplied"
Still they got crushed by the blizzard - it doesn´t matter how good the russian player is, the game makes it sure.

So again, why should someone think that it is worth to play the grand campagin, after beeing much better as historically, he get crushed by blizzard (WAD) and his strength is way behind the historical losses he had.
So not even his gameplay will be nullified (even if loosing less troops (saving strenght))  but he will also be punished more.

With this, the game should result in easy russian victories latest in 43. Historically the russians were bled white cause of the losses. How do the game handle the late-war-combats? Do the axis have more casulties as the russians?

again i like to say that the gc41 is "the scenario".
I also agree, that the game has big problems if a "1943-1945"-campagin with historical start forces shows significant more sucsessfull axis players. In this case the game needs to be checked, too. Because in this stage of the war, the russians are too strong.
Also i think if both sides plays "historical", the losses should be like they were historically... has someone some tests about it?

Adnan,

I'm all for making the game more balanced. I'd like to do so though by altering the start positions and offering a different starting scenario.

I don't like the idea of balancing the game by adding artificial hindrances to the soviet player.

In an accurate model of history, with competent players on both sides, the soviets *should* outperform history.
I want to fix this by giving the axis player more on-map capabilities in an alternate start scenario, rather than by layering on rules to hamstring the soviets or artificially overpower the axis unit counters.

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 61
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:17:07 PM   
ComradeP

Just as a FYI: as far as I know, we haven't actually seen games with competent players where the Soviets ended up in Berlin in 1942/1943, we've mostly seen a number of games where the Germans got hammered in the blizzard. People instantly say "the Soviets will win" but the Soviets lack significant offensive punch until 1943, basically, especially now that corps are more expensive to create, the manpower modifier has been tuned down and brigades can't be merged until mid 1942.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 62
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:27:51 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Just as a FYI: as far as I know, we haven't actually seen games with competent players where the Soviets ended up in Berlin in 1942/1943, we've mostly seen a number of games where the Germans got hammered in the blizzard. People instantly say "the Soviets will win" but the Soviets lack significant offensive punch until 1943, basically, especially now that corps are more expensive to create, the manpower modifier has been tuned down and brigades can't be merged until mid 1942.

I don't think that should keep people from over-reacting. This is the internet after all.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 63
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:36:04 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

Why? 1941 is the weird case where the Russians were caught totally in the middle of reorganizing and completely
off-guard. The Germans did very well, but no Russian player is going to let whole sections of his front get cut off.
There's really not much point in trying to fix up 1941 so that the Germans have a chance to win in 1941. They did
about as well as they possibly could have in 1941 so why make an even better German offensive be the
only way to judge that the game works?

The best way to make things balanced for the Axis player is to start in 1942, which locks in the best possible 1941
and blizzard outcome, and add forces that the Axis could have pulled out of the Mediterranean in 1942 and let them
try for a knock-out blow before the Western powers can get too far.

Post #: 64
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:51:07 PM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: victor charlie

Based on those figures did Germany ever have a chance of defeating the Soviets then?

Besides a collapse similar to WW1, on pure attrition the math don’t look good for them.

Can quality overcome quantity?

That’s the question I think this game should be showing us.

If production is too high then the end results is going to be badly trained, ill equipped and poorly led troops who will be next to worthless on the battlefield against experienced veterans.

Interestingly, when the Russians became well equipped, their losses were still horrendous. The Germans became better equipped as well (Tigers, Panthers, Panzerfausts, etc.). There appear to be two types of German "victory". The first is Germany conquering Russia. This seems hopeless, unless the England and America would have pulled out of the war (or America never entering the war). The other type is Germany doing so well that Russia would rather reach an armistice (keeping its military intact). This could only occur before D-Day (June 1944). This allows Germany to concentrate on the other Allies, perhaps making D-Day impossible. Perhaps Hitler would have been killed by the atomic bomb then? The key is that Russia would not conquer Germany!

Just how many more losses would the Russians have had to have before an armistice? One of the keys is how the rest of the Allies were doing. If additional German troops would have been sent West, they could have significantly delayed the Italian Campaign. This would place a premium on conservation of German strength and equipment. Perhaps if the losses in 1943 were greater than in (historical) 1942, this could have the breaking point (armistice in winter 1943). One other factor is how much the German Army was reduced on the Eastern Front. The game allows Hitler's poor generalship to be avoided in the East, but not in the West! The game decision to have historical German reinforcements and withdrawls, reflecting the West Front disasters in Tunisia, loss of Sicily, and surrender of Italy, give the Russians a better chance at avoiding an armistice in the game.

It is not clear to me exactly how much negotiation was done in 1942-1943 between the two countries. If Stalin was willing to truly negotiate with Hitler, then the Russian Army must have been in desperate straits! If the negotiations were just a Russian ploy to acertain how weak Germany was, fine. In either case, in the game the players are making the decisions Hitler and Stalin had to make, so perhaps letting them negotiate terms may be a way to make the mid-game more realistic and entertaining. On the other hand, the game should improve the chances of a German victory by bleeding the Russian Army. This should be doable in an accurate simulation because:

1) Germany should have greater manpower and especially more weapons compared with historical (no Hitler)
2) Germany should be much better supplied than historical (no Stalingrad, no Moscow)
3) Germany still had a great tactical advance over the Russians in 1943
4) There was a good chance German withdrawls in 1943 to Italy could have been postponed (no Tunisia)
5) Russian and Western Allies feud much more over poorer Western Allies contribution in 1943

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to VictorCharlie)
Post #: 65
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 5:58:42 PM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: BleedingOrange

I think once you start the historical losses, replacements, etc should be a baseline. If the Germans lose less than they did the first year or conserve men later (no 6th army) then they should get more divisions or keep more for the East front. Having a 100K less losses the first year should allow a couple extra divisions. The game should also check the replacement pool to see if the TOE should be dropped unlike now where you can have plenty of men and machines but the game nerfs your divisions to be historical. The German player should be rewarded for playing better and that includes stopping their offensive and preparing for winter. The reason the Soviets were so successful the first winter is they were hitting tired undersupplied troops out in the open. If the Germans are set up in defensible territory, supplied and not fatigued they should be able to hold and bleed the Soviets. Right now the game punishes the Germans by forcing them into the same strategic mistakes made in history but allows the Soviets to avoid most of theirs. It allows a totally ahistoric retreat which Stalin would never have allowed and doesn't cost anything like it would have if it had been used in real life. They not only get their historical replacements, but can buy more. Seems a double standard to me. Just my two cents

I don't think the AI can handle a winter counterattack without the massive Russian winter bonuses. This is ultimately required because of the very low Russian CV values, which both allow German overruns over stacks of Russian divisions and prevent almost any effective Russian counter-attacks. The mistake utlimately may be in having the AI and human player have the same bonuses.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to BleedingOrange)
Post #: 66
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:13:36 PM   
bednarre

quote:

quote:

In terms of irrecoverable losses, 1941 only amounted to 27.8% of the total losses for the war.

I'm not sure why you're presenting this as a low figure. It's actually a really high percentage out of the total considering that the fighting only lasted a bit over 6 months in 1941.

My point is that 1941, 1942, and 1943 all had catostrophic losses. It was not that 1941 was conducted so well. The main point is that the Russians had high losses against the Germans in defending as well as attacking engagements. Against a German player more competent than Hitler, I think the extra Germans and equipment would have been a significant factor! The fact that the German player knows it will take two years to severely damage Russia is a big advantage over historical, with their "6 month" campaign madness. Suppose 6 Russian soldiers were as combat effective as 1 German soldier before 1944. The 100,000 German soldiers lost due to frostbite in front of Moscow should have been the equivalent of about half a million Russian soldiers. The 200,000 Germans sacrificed at Stalingrad amounted to over a million Russian soldiers. Let us assume that over-attacking and non-retreating cost the Germans an extra 200,000 men, not counting Stalingrad. Thats equal to another million Russian soldiers. The result, the Germans should have been able to handle two more million Russian soldiers in the game and in real life.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 67
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:22:24 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: bednarre

quote:

quote:

In terms of irrecoverable losses, 1941 only amounted to 27.8% of the total losses for the war.

I'm not sure why you're presenting this as a low figure. It's actually a really high percentage out of the total considering that the fighting only lasted a bit over 6 months in 1941.

My point is that 1941, 1942, and 1943 all had catostrophic losses. It was not that 1941 was conducted so well. The main point is that the Russians had high losses against the Germans in defending as well as attacking engagements. Against a German player more competent than Hitler, I think the extra Germans and equipment would have been a significant factor! The fact that the German player knows it will take two years to severely damage Russia is a big advantage over historical, with their "6 month" campaign madness. Suppose 6 Russian soldiers were as combat effective as 1 German soldier before 1944. The 100,000 German soldiers lost due to frostbite in front of Moscow should have been the equivalent of about half a million Russian soldiers. The 200,000 Germans sacrificed at Stalingrad amounted to over a million Russian soldiers. Let us assume that over-attacking and non-retreating cost the Germans an extra 200,000 men, not counting Stalingrad. Thats equal to another million Russian soldiers. The result, the Germans should have been able to handle two more million Russian soldiers in the game and in real life.

Unless say 3 Russians were as dangerous as one German in which case the Germans would be at least a million men short of a full deck in the game and in real life, which might explain what happened in reality as well as in the game.

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 68
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:30:59 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

quote:

Based on those figures did Germany ever have a chance of defeating the Soviets then?

Besides a collapse similar to WW1, on pure attrition the math don’t look good for them.

If production is too high then the end results is going to be badly trained, ill equipped and poorly led troops who will be next to worthless on the battlefield against experienced veterans.

Interestingly, when the Russians became well equipped, their losses were still horrendous. The Germans became better equipped as well (Tigers, Panthers, Panzerfausts, etc.). There appear to be two types of German "victory". The first is Germany conquering Russia. This seems hopeless, unless the England and America would have pulled out of the war (or America never entering the war). The other type is Germany doing so well that Russia would rather reach an armistice (keeping its military intact). This could only occur before D-Day (June 1944). This allows Germany to concentrate on the other Allies, perhaps making D-Day impossible. Perhaps Hitler would have been killed by the atomic bomb then? The key is that Russia would not conquer Germany!

Just how many more losses would the Russians have had to have before an armistice? One of the keys is how the rest of the Allies were doing. If additional German troops would have been sent West, they could have significantly delayed the Italian Campaign. This would place a premium on conservation of German strength and equipment. Perhaps if the losses in 1943 were greater than in (historical) 1942, this could have the breaking point (armistice in winter 1943). One other factor is how much the German Army was reduced on the Eastern Front. The game allows Hitler's poor generalship to be avoided in the East, but not in the West! The game decision to have historical German reinforcements and withdrawls, reflecting the West Front disasters in Tunisia, loss of Sicily, and surrender of Italy, give the Russians a better chance at avoiding an armistice in the game.

It is not clear to me exactly how much negotiation was done in 1942-1943 between the two countries. If Stalin was willing to truly negotiate with Hitler, then the Russian Army must have been in desperate straits! If the negotiations were just a Russian ploy to acertain how weak Germany was, fine. In either case, in the game the players are making the decisions Hitler and Stalin had to make, so perhaps letting them negotiate terms may be a way to make the mid-game more realistic and entertaining. On the other hand, the game should improve the chances of a German victory by bleeding the Russian Army. This should be doable in an accurate simulation because:

1) Germany should have greater manpower and especially more weapons compared with historical (no Hitler)
2) Germany should be much better supplied than historical (no Stalingrad, no Moscow)
4) There was a good chance German withdrawls in 1943 to Italy could have been postponed (no Tunisia)
5) Russian and Western Allies feud much more over poorer Western Allies contribution in 1943

I agree. The game can be made very finely balanced in 1942-1943 especially if you assume the Russians suffered an historical 1941 and the Germans avoided losing multiple armies in the Mediterranean (1 Italian Army in Cyrenica in 1940, 1 Italian Army in Eithiopia in 1941, effectively an army or two in Crete and the Balkans pinned down as Garrisons after 1941, 2 German and 2 Italian Armies in Tunisia effectively in 1942 and the whole Italian army and effectively another German army in Sicily and Italy in 1943 for a total of 10 armies lost or immobilized or 4-5 Stalingrad administrative disasters (SAD) in the Mediterranean). Plus assume Stalin is interested in China or something and wants an armistice if possible.

< Message edited by MengJiao -- 3/10/2011 6:35:27 PM >

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 69
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:34:11 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengJiao

quote:

quote:

I agree. The game can be made very finely balanced in 1942-1943 especially if you assume the Russians suffered an historical 1941 and the Germans avoided losing multiple armies in the Mediterranean (1 Italian Army in Cyrenica in 1940, 1 Italian Army in Eithiopia in 1941, effectively an army or two in Crete and the Balkans pinned down as Garrisons after 1941, 2 German and 2 Italian Armies in Tunisia effectively in 1942 and the whole Italian army and effectively another German army in Sicily and Italy in 1943 for a total of 10 armies lost or immobilized or 4-5 Stalingrad administrative disasters (SAD) in the Mediterranean). Plus assume Stalin is interested in China or something and wants an armistice if possible.

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 70
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:40:33 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

quote:

ORIGINAL: pat.casey

quote:

So you and others say basically, the axis side (please do not ignore the other nations) has in 90 (99?)% of the games only the chance to do as they did historically?

In the moment the common axis player (compared with the common russian player) is far behind the historical results.

So, in gameterms, why should this be okay?
Nobody like to answer this easy question.

In 41 untill blizzard, the axis should cause on average as many losses as they did historically. Is it in the game?
no
in the blizzard, in history the germans were exhausted and depleted. Their supply lines were thin, overstretched. In the game the axis side mostly avoid this mistakes, are digged in, prepared and "well supplied"
Still they got crushed by the blizzard - it doesn´t matter how good the russian player is, the game makes it sure.

So again, why should someone think that it is worth to play the grand campagin, after beeing much better as historically, he get crushed by blizzard (WAD) and his strength is way behind the historical losses he had.
So not even his gameplay will be nullified (even if loosing less troops (saving strenght))  but he will also be punished more.

With this, the game should result in easy russian victories latest in 43. Historically the russians were bled white cause of the losses. How do the game handle the late-war-combats? Do the axis have more casulties as the russians?

I also agree, that the game has big problems if a "1943-1945"-campagin with historical start forces shows significant more sucsessfull axis players. In this case the game needs to be checked, too. Because in this stage of the war, the russians are too strong.
Also i think if both sides plays "historical", the losses should be like they were historically... has someone some tests about it?

Adnan,

I'm all for making the game more balanced. I'd like to do so though by altering the start positions and offering a different starting scenario.

I don't like the idea of balancing the game by adding artificial hindrances to the soviet player.

In an accurate model of history, with competent players on both sides, the soviets *should* outperform history.
I want to fix this by giving the axis player more on-map capabilities in an alternate start scenario, rather than by layering on rules to hamstring the soviets or artificially overpower the axis unit counters.

Hi,
i disagree.
First -the game should allow historical results with historical gameplay.
second - the german army or his axis should NOT get MORE strengh. The game need to be so good, that the axis player can achive historical results in 41
also he should get punished, if he do as historical by exhausted troops and with a russian counteroffensive, he should have high losses
BUT - if the russian player is smarter as his historical counterparts then why should the german player be not able to fight and DEFEAT the russian counterattacks in winter41?
third - if we agree that the soviets do better in 41, save their army for the counterattack (and to be consequent - slaughter the german and axis troops in winter 41), why should the game allow a german summer offensive in 42? and also, the HUGE losses of the russians (with better equipment, better trained troops and so on) in defending 42 and even more critical in the offensive operations from 43 on will cause to greater axis losses (they couldn´t hold with the way lower losses they had in RL) and the collaps of the axis frontlines will happen way earlier.

If the game do HARDCODED things to avoid this, this cause new superaxis... the same guys not able to do any better as historical 41/42 now need to be ultra-supermen, if the game will normally end in may 45...

sorry, a game that need to do such things to give near-historical-results seems unfinished.

Your opinion (equip the german/axis armies with more material/troops) is just utterly wrong.

It is a wrong workaround.
What would you say if a civilwar-game needs 10 Longstreets, 4 Lees, 1000 cannons, 50.000 confed cav and 200.000 more confed troops to bring the historical results of this civil war? Sure, this could be fun, but also you can give the axis "todesstrahler" and nuclear weapons to balance it (this is a little bit outside the real problem, i just like to make this point clear)

in history, the axis achieved great victories (beside some really serious failures) and hold the material superior russian army with huge losses for this army.

in the game, well - if it is played balanced they do no victories and can not hold so long as they did historically.

That IS wrong

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 71
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 6:51:23 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

well...
actually only some playtesters explain openly, that the game should work exactly this way

If the blizzard destroy the german army (as it is untill now) and the russians just need to avoid mistakes to be much better, what is the consequence out of it (beside some other "blizzard" events like "german soldiers get sterioids from 43 on)

Also it does not solve the problem that the best the axis player can achieve is worse as history
You self had declared that russian airforce is a pain in 43 (not historically true compared to the rare combat records we can read here)

if someone want to play gc41, he knows exactly that it doesen´t matter
playing the russians, he will crush the german army in blizzard, so the axis can not mount any serious offensive action
playing the axis he can do what he wants, he allways will be leveld by blizzard, after this, because the problem with "verdun in the east", he can´t break through russian defence lines (the germans did all the time, even late in the war)

The best thing is, that so many people (with so less knowledge) allways explain why the blizzard has this effect, but they compare apples with, err. skyscrapers, cause in history exhausted soldiers without supply fought far away from any supply lines and in the game they hold their army intact and in good supply (Supply is another thing, i fully agree that both sides should have much more problems to supply their troops for all these monster-operations)

Sorry, in the moment i fire eastfront on my pc, it seems for gameplay this is the game with more fun for both sides in a gc

(i still think i should give the short campagins a chance, but buying the game only for them (gc41 is broken in the moment) is outside my interests in the moment. Even sadlier, westfront will propably have the same problems)

oh, i did mention that i want to play BOTH sides? fine....

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 72
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 7:13:36 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

The game need to be so good, that the axis player can achive historical results in 41

Well the game is so good that a competent Russian player can avoid anything as bad as
what happened to the Russians in 1941.

If the only measure of goodness is that the Germans should be able to routinely
fatally cripple the Russians in 1941, I think you're going to be disappointed in
playing this game.

Post #: 73
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 7:14:45 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

Hi,
i disagree.
First -the game should allow historical results with historical gameplay.
second - the german army or his axis should NOT get MORE strengh. The game need to be so good, that the axis player can achive historical results in 41
also he should get punished, if he do as historical by exhausted troops and with a russian counteroffensive, he should have high losses
BUT - if the russian player is smarter as his historical counterparts then why should the german player be not able to fight and DEFEAT the russian counterattacks in winter41?
third - if we agree that the soviets do better in 41, save their army for the counterattack (and to be consequent - slaughter the german and axis troops in winter 41), why should the game allow a german summer offensive in 42? and also, the HUGE losses of the russians (with better equipment, better trained troops and so on) in defending 42 and even more critical in the offensive operations from 43 on will cause to greater axis losses (they couldn´t hold with the way lower losses they had in RL) and the collaps of the axis frontlines will happen way earlier.

If the game do HARDCODED things to avoid this, this cause new superaxis... the same guys not able to do any better as historical 41/42 now need to be ultra-supermen, if the game will normally end in may 45...

sorry, a game that need to do such things to give near-historical-results seems unfinished.

Fundamentally I disagree here in that I think the purpose of a war game is to simulate historical conditions and capabilities, rather than to simulate historical outcomes. Given the historical facts on the ground in 1941, the red army should have done better than it did, in the same sense that Hooker should have won at Chancellorsville.
I'd expect an accurate simulation of the historical conditions and capabilities of 1941 to hugely favor the soviet union. I consider this to be fine since I think that's the actual realities on the ground; the historical Soviets did everything they could to try to lose and still managed to pull out a win.

To me at least, the whole point of a war game is to see if I can achieve different results from history within the historical constraints the actual commanders faced. I don't view the game as a history simulation where the measure of "success" is that perfect play on each side meets the historical outcome.

quote:

Your opinion (equip the german/axis armies with more material/troops) is just utterly wrong.

It is a wrong workaround.
What would you say if a civilwar-game needs 10 Longstreets, 4 Lees, 1000 cannons, 50.000 confed cav and 200.000 more confed troops to bring the historical results of this civil war? Sure, this could be fun, but also you can give the axis "todesstrahler" and nuclear weapons to balance it (this is a little bit outside the real problem, i just like to make this point clear)

in history, the axis achieved great victories (beside some really serious failures) and hold the material superior russian army with huge losses for this army.

in the game, well - if it is played balanced they do no victories and can not hold so long as they did historically.

That IS wrong

I think you're missing an important part of my proposal.
I am not proposing we alter the historical 1941 start to give the Germans "fantasy units".
I am proposing the creation of a different 1941 start scenario that gives the Germans significantly more units to aid in PBEM balance.

This is a similar solution that was found for another huge war game, WITP. In that game, the historical scenario was no fun as the japanase since by late 1942 the war was over and you were ground down by the allies. To aid in PBEM balance an "altered start" scenario was created that gave the Japanese extra troops, better pilot training, and more ships/planes.

That altered start scenario (Scenario 2) is, by far, the most popular PBEM scenario.
I'd like to see the same thing here.

Post #: 74
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 7:32:56 PM   
bednarre

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

Do not make the mistake of thinking in Western terms when considering the Soviet Union. You will not come to an understanding. The Soviets had planned to turn over the Army, the entire Army, every 8 months during intense campaigning. They had been preparing for a war against someone since 1927.

They were still running low on manpower by 1945. The Germans ran out first, and more catastrophically, but the soviets lost about 35% of their military age manpower in the war (ages 15..49)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union

By the time of the battle of Berlin, the size of the red army was already dropping from its 1943 peak as they had serious trouble getting replacements.

If you're curious, losing 35% of your military age males is an amazing high count; the fact that soviet society continued to function at all with losses like that is a tribute (in a disgusting sort of way I suppose) to the stalanist regime.

By contrast, the germans lost about 4.5 million casualties out of a prewar military age population of around 25 million (so they lost maybe 16%) or about half the soviet loss rate, and the Germans ran the barrel dry as well.

Point being I think that, as others have pointed out, the Soviets actually were at the end of their manpower tether in 1945. They had enough to win the war, but not much more. If the Germans had managed, for example, to kill another 4-5 million soviets in 1941-42, the red army would have been that much smaller in 1943-45.

Edit:

Its worth pointing out that, in absolute terms, the soviet population was only about 2.5 times greater than the ethnic german population of the reich (roughly 200m soviets vs 80m ethnic germans in the greater reich). So an overall casualty rate of > 2.5:1 in favor of the germans theoretically favored the axis.

Naturally the germans were taking casualties on other fronts, and arguably had a lower manpower saturation point than the soviets did, but even if you assume the real "break even" point was 3:1 or 3.5:1, those are actually achievable numbers within the game engine.

The soviet population was large, but it was not infinite.

Russia was willing to participate of the invasion of Japan; it does not look like they were at the end of their manpower pool. The US expected 1 million casualties itself.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 75
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 7:46:19 PM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

I agree with Pat that the Russians should not have any extra penalties on them to "help" the Germans and to make things geared to produce a more "historical" result. They have a lot of penalties already with a screwed up command structure. (Watch the difference between how well replacements and recovery go for units in good command vs those in bad for one example). Rail issues and bad units are another example. In most cases, the Russians are going to be able to do better than historical territory wise, but that is not always the case and they should do better in the loss department. The Germans will get their opportunities to avoid major mistakes later (avoiding a Stalingrad debacle and Kursk for example to name two). 

Part of all this is going to be an attitude adjustment for many German players. "Winning" is not crushing the Russians in 40% of the games. The Germans should have a chance of an outright win, but it will probably be fairly low across a broad spectrum of games. The other thing that needs to happen after they get the blizzard stuff fixed is to see games that last several years. The Russians have to deal with the German onslaught and it is only fair that the Germans play to the end, even past the point of where they can "win" outright.

I also agree to the concept of German TOE changes being based on losses as that the big reason historically why they were made. Probably pretty hard to implement if you get off a time line however, so I don't know if this idea will ever see the light of day.

It seems like the Russian player can eliminate most of their historical mistakes, but the German player can not eliminate the mistakes outside of the Eastern Front. These latter mistakes were very bad, but the game design decision towards strictly historical reinforcements/replacements/withdrawls result in the inability of better German player strategies from helping out in the West, and then directly helping the Eastern Front. This was heavily debated in earlier topics, but I think somehow there should at least be an option to tone down the Russian capabilities in regard to equipment and manpower, as a fairness issue.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 76
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 7:50:10 PM   
Zort

Well a total war in europe game will solve that issue.  

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 77
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:04:04 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

I am not proposing we alter the historical 1941 start to give the Germans "fantasy units".
I am proposing the creation of a different 1941 start scenario that gives the Germans significantly more units to aid in PBEM balance.

This is a similar solution that was found for another huge war game, WITP. In that game, the historical scenario was no fun as the japanase since by late 1942 the war was over and you were ground down by the allies. To aid in PBEM balance an "altered start" scenario was created that gave the Japanese extra troops, better pilot training, and more ships/planes.

That altered start scenario (Scenario 2) is, by far, the most popular PBEM scenario.

You can do this now with the editor. If folks want to make their own 41 scenario they currently can.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 78
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:19:30 PM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: MengJiao

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unless say 3 Russians were as dangerous as one German in which case the Germans would be at least a million men short of a full deck in the game and in real life, which might explain what happened in reality as well as in the game.

O.K., say 3 to 1. Using information from, http://ww2total.com/WW2/History/Orders-of-Battle/Germany/German-Orders-of-Battle-June-1942.htm
there was about 10 German infantry divisions in Norway in summer 1942, 22 infantry, and about 3 panzer divisions in France/Holland plus 1 parachute division. In the unnecessary Tunisian Campaign the Axis had 200K battle casualties and 275K prisioners (including Italian troops). Realizing the British were not going to invade the continent by themselves in 1942 (and in 1943 for that matter), this probably provides an additional 19 divisions (190K men). Another 200K are added, instead of sending them to Tunisia. Adding these to the already mentioned 500K, the total additional is about 900K (2.7 miilion Russians) at 3:1. For the entire war, the combat killed ratio was about 4:1. Thus the two million extra Russians in the game could have been countered by the supreme commander of Germany. Also, if the Germans would have encountered more effective Russian defense in 1941, perhaps Germany would have gone to full stale mobilization a full year earler. Unfortunately most of these additions are allowed in game.

My key point is that the Germans could have had much higher numbers than historical. This helps make the game more interesting. The Russian player should have to play great to win, and not just wait for time (and the inevitable). Most players acknowledge the German player has to play great to win (conquore).

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to MengJiao)
Post #: 79
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:23:01 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

quote:

You can do this now with the editor. If folks want to make their own 41 scenario they currently can.

Sure I can, but I'd like an official version by somebody who has more time on their hands and access to things like the historical TOEs toe make more a more plausible variant.

The advantage of an "official" scenario would also be it'd be infinitely easier to use for PBEM.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 80
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:29:04 PM   
bednarre

quote:

well...
actually only some playtesters explain openly, that the game should work exactly this way

If the blizzard destroy the german army (as it is untill now) and the russians just need to avoid mistakes to be much better, what is the consequence out of it (beside some other "blizzard" events like "german soldiers get sterioids from 43 on)

Also it does not solve the problem that the best the axis player can achieve is worse as history
You self had declared that russian airforce is a pain in 43 (not historically true compared to the rare combat records we can read here)

playing the russians, he will crush the german army in blizzard, so the axis can not mount any serious offensive action
playing the axis he can do what he wants, he allways will be leveld by blizzard, after this, because the problem with "verdun in the east", he can´t break through russian defence lines (the germans did all the time, even late in the war)

The best thing is, that so many people (with so less knowledge) allways explain why the blizzard has this effect, but they compare apples with, err. skyscrapers, cause in history exhausted soldiers without supply fought far away from any supply lines and in the game they hold their army intact and in good supply (Supply is another thing, i fully agree that both sides should have much more problems to supply their troops for all these monster-operations)

Sorry, in the moment i fire eastfront on my pc, it seems for gameplay this is the game with more fun for both sides in a gc

(i still think i should give the short campagins a chance, but buying the game only for them (gc41 is broken in the moment) is outside my interests in the moment. Even sadlier, westfront will propably have the same problems)

Adnan, what is really frustrating the both of us right now, and perhaps others, is that there have been alot of player comments but every little official feedback from what the designers are poundering/thinking/tinkering. Perhaps they fear an unstable system with too many comments, too soon in the development process. I understand an official AAR is somewhere in the system (would like to know where), but to me this is only the first step in a long process.

Can we please get a little more feedback from the staff? Thanks...

Reginald E. Bednar

Post #: 81
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:30:46 PM   
bednarre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

I was thinking the same thing. Do you have any idea when it might be ready for players?

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 82
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 8:49:46 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

<snip>

Russia was willing to participate of the invasion of Japan; it does not look like they were at the end of their manpower pool. The US expected 1 million casualties itself.

Sure, but so was Britain and she was equally out of manpower by the end of ww II.

Just because you're out of reserve manpower doesn't mean you're out of the war; the Wehrmacht ran out of reserve manpower in late 1943 and absolute troop counts dropped the last two years of the war, but they kept fighting.

Same thing with the soviets, they started to run out in 1944 and were feeling shortages by the end of the war in europe, but they still had a sizeable army.

Stalin saw the Japanese campaign as a great way to share in the pacific spoils, so he was willing to take still more casualties because the gains looked significant.

Also worth pointing out is that the soviets committed only about 1.7m men to the manchurian campaign, or roughly 1/4 of what they ended the war with in europe.

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 83
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 9:19:59 PM   
wworld7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

I was thinking the same thing. Do you have any idea when it might be ready for players?

Since WITE is just recently released, and their future plans were sort of laid out, and given the history of quality products I expect they would not rush something out the door. My ballpark firgure would be 24-36+ months (and probably the later for a full-fledged Toatal War in Europe). But I wouldn't object at all if they could pull it off sooner.

Flipper

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 84
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 9:58:56 PM   
bednarre

quote:

quote:

<snip>

Sure, but so was Britain and she was equally out of manpower by the end of ww II.

Just because you're out of reserve manpower doesn't mean you're out of the war; the Wehrmacht ran out of reserve manpower in late 1943 and absolute troop counts dropped the last two years of the war, but they kept fighting.

Same thing with the soviets, they started to run out in 1944 and were feeling shortages by the end of the war in europe, but they still had a sizeable army.

Stalin saw the Japanese campaign as a great way to share in the pacific spoils, so he was willing to take still more casualties because the gains looked significant.

Also worth pointing out is that the soviets committed only about 1.7m men to the manchurian campaign, or roughly 1/4 of what they ended the war with in europe.

I don't think England was volunteering to invade the island of Japan. The lack of British replacements severly hampered their fighting ability. For example, their was relunctance on the part of General Montgomery to come to the aid of the Americans in the Battle of the Bulge. In North Africa and Italy, most of the troops were from the Commonwealth and not England proper.

Did the German's run out of manpower in 1943? The German kept creating new divisions throughout the war; they had manpower reserves. The problem was finally there was insufficient labor to keep the war production going. The Germans did not use their manpower as effectively as they could. For example, Hitler kept shells of divisions intact so they would still appear on the map, wasting valuable supply and support personnel. Also, the extra manpower did not arrive when needed. If more had been called up in 1941-1942, perhaps an amistice would have occured.

Russia historically did not like to put replacements in old divisions either. The number of troops in a division was very low at the end of the war, but the number of divisions was very large. Once source has the Red Armed Forces at 11.3 million at the end of the war. That does not look like an army on it's death bed. Stalin was pressured in helping America against Japan to save American lives. The sovereignity of Poland unfortunately was sacrificed as a compromise. Stalin wanted a part of the Japanese mainland and Manchuria, but he clearly thought he had enough troops to go on another major campaign (with millions of more casualties).

The following link briefly describes the Russian mainland invasion plan (step #1).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall

Finally, America would have wanted the Russian to stay out of the area, if not absolutely needed. Russia was prevented from occupying Japan, but their takeover of Manchuria and northern Korea has significant negative reprecussions for democracy in the region today.

Reginald E. Bednar

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 85
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 11:01:47 PM   
pat.casey

quote:

<snip>

I don't think England was volunteering to invade the island of Japan.

Actually, they were. Operation Coronet (the invasion of Japan proper, included a commonwealth component at the british request.

Likewise significant commonwealth naval forces were planned for both operation olympic and corinet.

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 86
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/10/2011 11:40:39 PM   
Smirfy

The Tunisian campaign was hardly pointless sure Hitler sacrificed a couple of hundred thousand Axis troops but it delayed the invaision of Southern Europe which had a frontage of thousands of miles were 200,000 troops would only guard a fraction by 6 months buying time for an eastern front offensive to try and bring decision there. What were the Allies going to do if they did not fight in Tunisia, sit on their hands? I love Axis counterfactuals honestly I do. If anything Tunsia freed troops for the eastern front. As Jodl said once Italy was invaded on having to keep ten divisions in reserve just to protect the communications of the army fighting in Southern Italy "All this at a time when the eastern front was subjected to severe assault, was begging for reserves more urgently than ever"

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 87
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/11/2011 12:02:41 AM   
Klydon

A couple of points.

First, the staff has said they are looking at the blizzard issues. For the time being, we have some house rules suggested by BigA for the time being that make a lot of sense. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2739605&mpage=1&key=  I think the time line for any fixes is going to be a bit as they let the changes they have made get played out and tested and more testing and data comes in from games.

As far as scenario changes to favor the Germans, there are some already done and available for use. I have made a couple (some historically plausible, some not as much) and I spent a fair amount of time doing the best research I could on them. I don't claim to go to the depths that Pavel does as I don't have his language skills or sources to work from, but I think they are not that far fetched, etc. I don't make any bones about which side they help (I have done several for Germany and 1 for Russia), but I like the idea of doing alternate stuff like that, be it for PBEM games or against the AI as a way to give an advantage over just bumping up the percent levels. None of these scenarios are "official" but that should not stop two players from using them if they feel in particular the German side needs the help. Unfortunately, the community at large has shown very little interest in such scenarios. In part they want smaller scenarios that are "official" and most Russian players are not in favor of allowing the German side extra advantages.

Something that a lot of people don't realize is the Axis lost more in Tunisa than they lost at Stalingrad, although Stalingrad is the one that gets the big press.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 88
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/11/2011 3:55:01 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

quote:

well...

Adnan, what is really frustrating the both of us right now, and perhaps others, is that there have been alot of player comments but every little official feedback from what the designers are poundering/thinking/tinkering. Perhaps they fear an unstable system with too many comments, too soon in the development process. I understand an official AAR is somewhere in the system (would like to know where), but to me this is only the first step in a long process.

Can we please get a little more feedback from the staff? Thanks...

The staff of 2By3 for WitE consists of Gary and Joel and Gary never gets on the forum. Joel is it, everyone else is either a tester like myself or Erik who works for Matrix. Pavel has done a huge amount of coding for the game and is currently the one doing any bug fixes and/or enhancements and is busier than a one-legged man in a three-legged race. Many of the older testers are pretty burned out and have gone onto other things, there are a few diehards left as well as several of the newer testers.

There are hundreds of posts and dozens upon dozens of threads and the testers are helping when they can but there is no way they are going to be able to respond to everyone's questions in the general section of the forum. Bugs and technical issues need to go up top in the proper section, Joel and Pavel will definitely catch those.

As for what else might be going on, we testers are still subject to the NDA and while I can say a lot of testing is ongoing and several more historical scenarios are being worked on, anything beyond that will need to be answered by Erik or Joel.

(in reply to bednarre)
Post #: 89
RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play ... - 3/11/2011 4:00:39 AM   
2ndACR

Never have doubts do to lack of feedback. They are working and I know Joel is monitoring the forums. He may not comment but he reads and listens.

These things take time. I have never lost faith in 2by3 and never will. Just give them time to work things out.

Oh, and no burn out allowed, back to work testers.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Soviet Production a bit too much / Major Game play issue? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI