Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) - Reluctant Admiral

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) - Reluctant Admiral Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/21/2014 8:38:20 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

DAN!!!!

I'm not sure we can truly express how much he added to the community, and how much we all miss him.

+1

His AAR against Q-Ball was the key that got me to invest in this community and gave me so many good reads, as did the later ones. But i also miss the main forum posts. Give us a shout Dan!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 61
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/21/2014 8:40:00 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

quote:

Good info gents. How many factories should be allocated to a plane I "want?" 3X30? More?

At least.

I have a total of 7 size 30s split between the two Zero lines in my RA game, and those seem to be doing a solid job. For later aircraft I will probably aim for similar numbers, depending on how the industry is doing (RA is really harsh on this one, I nearly wrecked mine in February/March due to my attention being elsewhere). I do not plan to convert any R&D facilities to production, but rather either move to the next model down or to another airframe as needed.

Also, apologies for not getting anything to you on the signature front yet, but I have yet to come up with anything adequate, and frankly looking at the lovely piece obvert put together I don't think I have any chance of being competitive...

Not at all! I'd just been dying to use some of these pics for something cool. Thought it might give you some ideas for a more finished design with more artworks (and fireworks, maybe). Look forward to seeing something you come up with.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 62
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/21/2014 8:42:55 PM   
Spidery

quote:

2) Back on strategy, I have wondered for some time whether there is a certain "minimum overextension" option to go for auto victory, and a recent PM has me thinking along those lines again. In other words, beyond the "normal" perimeter, what is the minimum bases needed for a real shot at auto vic? Is this at all viable or is it necessary to go big in India, Oz, etc? The basic idea might be normal conquests plus the big SOPAC bases (Noumea, Fiji, etc) plus a heavy push in China plus whatever is needed to go "over the top." Is that Perth? More? I haven't crunched any numbers on this, has anyone else? I am leery of going for an Indian conquest or a total occupation of Oz (remember Between the Storms add lots of ships but few troops). Is there another way?

I think it depends on how aggressive a defense the Allied player runs. If he contests your advance then you are unlikely to be able to maintain a 4::1 ratio in material damage so need more territory. If he follows a Sir Robin approach then it may be sufficient to take China, Northern Oz and the South Pacific.

I think there is a potential option to pick up significant VP from damage to Australian industry. VP that will be useful whether or not AV is obtained 1st Jan 1943.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 63
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/21/2014 11:19:18 PM   
John 3rd

You want 'my' personal perimeter? Consider that we're playing each other in a month or so...

1. South Pacific: Horn, PM, New Caledonia, Efate, and Luganville.
2. Central Pacific: Normal plus Midway.
3. NW Australia
4. Aleutians: Cold Bay/Harbour and all points west
5. Upper Burma/SE India

To make it interesting?
A. All Northern Australia from Perth to Townsville including Tennant Creek and Alice Springs.

That combination gets to to 3-1 fairly easily.

I believe that India proper is a Tar Baby. Was willing to try it against the guys in my last game but am not sure if the risk is truly worth it.

My .02...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 64
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/22/2014 2:23:59 AM   
Cribtop

Very useful info on multiple levels, John. Thanks.

Part of my thinking is what you said about Michael's behavior with USN CVs. If he plans to make them scarce anyway, it might create an opening. Then again, many of the new ships & planes for the Allies in Between the Storms will be well placed to help slow down the initial Japanese attacks in the DEI, so maintaining a proper loss ratio will be tough.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 65
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/22/2014 4:04:30 AM   
John 3rd

You are correct. The Allies will have a MASSIVE potential fleet in the South Pacific. The entire Scouting Force (2 BC, 2 CLV, 1 CA, and DDs) added to the NZ and Aussie Forces (remember that Aust and NZ gain the services of CAVs as well) make for a potentially fearsome threat to any Japanese expansion south.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 66
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/26/2014 12:51:51 AM   
John 3rd

Home. I shall FINISH and get released all three Mods within the week of time.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 67
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/26/2014 1:18:14 AM   
Cribtop

Woot!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 68
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/26/2014 5:16:26 AM   
JocMeister

Glad to see you starting up another game. I enjoyed your last AAR very much and will follow this one too.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 69
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 7/26/2014 3:20:30 PM   
Cribtop

Thanks,Joc! Welcome aboard.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 70
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/2/2014 2:49:20 AM   
John 3rd

It is DONE! Need to do some testing but the Mod is complete.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 71
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/2/2014 3:42:15 PM   
Cribtop

Banzai!!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 72
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/4/2014 9:23:23 PM   
John 3rd

What's holding this bad boy AAR from really getting going??!!

I am starting an AAR for Treaty Mod so we have the other new scenario up and running.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 73
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/5/2014 2:51:01 PM   
Cribtop

RL kind of killed me last week, but you're right. It's time to fire this thing up!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 74
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/6/2014 2:17:38 PM   
John 3rd

I've started my Treaty Mod (Scen 45) game with Lew. Turn just sent.

Go GET Michael Dwain!

BANZAI!!!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 75
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/8/2014 3:53:37 AM   
Cribtop

Working on turn 1 now. Can't wait to get it rolling.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 76
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/8/2014 3:16:39 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Working on turn 1 now. Can't wait to get it rolling.

Any hints for the gallery on what you are planning?

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 77
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/8/2014 6:00:07 PM   
Cribtop

Good question.

In this mod, supplies and other stocks are lower than in the standard game. Thus, you just can't get too exotic out of the gate. The DEI must fall asap so that the spice will flow.

Phase 2 may well involve parts of Oz and the SOPAC islands with high VP values. Don't know that auto vic is in play, but the hope there would be to facilitate the Oz campaign and perhaps draw out the USN for a beatin' while the odds are in the IJN's favor.

I plan to try to engage Michael's air force if he'll come out to play. Although I believe the Allies can spend PPs to re-plenish their airframe stocks in this mod, that is still an area of attrition I want to exploit.

I am actually toying with making my initial air assault on Manila. Rationale: 1) facilitates rapid DEI moves; 2) Cebu is an alternate anchorage and I want to hit it soon; 3) the numerous new enemy surface assets render the old BBs at Pearl even less useful (although still great for amphibs and bombardments, of course). Then again, killing the Cats at Pearl is a bonus. What say ya'll?

Another option is to split KB and hit both. This is allowed under the scenario and house rules.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 78
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/8/2014 6:09:51 PM   
Cribtop

PS - If things are going well, Ceylon might be on the menu as a defensive foreground and as a feint before the Oz move.

PPS - Of course we want to hammer China, at least to the point it is isolated and incapable of further offensive action until late war. A big economic goal is the capture to the Lanchow oil.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 79
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/8/2014 6:19:32 PM   
JocMeister

I would hit Manila. Having the KB in the region will give you a tremendous advantage and guarantee your goal of a swift capture of the DEI.

Then again I have never played the Japanese in a PBEM...but being on the receiving end of that tactics wasn´t very pleasant!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 80
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/9/2014 12:33:07 AM   
John 3rd

Do BOTH!

1. You have CarDiv1 (Akagi--Amagi--CAV) and CarDiv5 (Sho--Zui--CAV) to hit Pearl. There are additional ships there including a modern CL or two extra.
2. Use CarDiv2 (Hiryu--Soryu--CVL Ryukaku) to hit Manila. Cebu is an alternate base here so there are SS and support shipping there. I wouldn't hit that as the premise is Hart moves those assets there on or about Dec 2-3rd.

Remember you have three CVL at Can Rahn Bay too...

My .02.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/9/2014 1:34:45 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 81
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/9/2014 1:22:56 AM   
John 3rd

Another important note: Your IJN pilot quality is down across-the-board by 10-15%. This is a direct result of Yamamoto beginning a real training program and expansion of the Fleet Air Arm.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 82
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/9/2014 2:52:54 AM   
Cribtop

Hmm, interesting thoughts. And yes, the idea with Cebu was to move later on that.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 83
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/10/2014 8:07:05 PM   
Cribtop

Test for sig pic

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 84
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/10/2014 8:10:31 PM   
Cribtop

test 2

Well, obviously having a little trouble linking to Shutterfly. Good news is I have the scenario up on my machine and I'm working on Turn 1.

OK, sort of got it working. Thanks again to Obvert for the great SigArt.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/10/2014 9:58:39 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 85
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/11/2014 12:13:57 AM   
John 3rd

Glory and Blessings upon the Empire of Japan!

LOVE your Kongo BC Signature...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 86
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/12/2014 5:25:27 PM   
Cribtop

And now, some housekeeping items!

SETTINGS

ON:

Advanced Weather
PDU
Allied dmg control
FoW
Realistic R&D
Dec 7th Surprise

OFF:

Reliable USN Torps
Historical first turn
No Unit Withdrawals

HOUSE RULES

First turn

Allied – Can give orders to only units at sea, no new TFs, land or air movements or changing orders for LBA. China is exempt from this rule.

Japan – Multiple port strikes with carriers participating in strikes with LBA. None with just LBA. No gamey warp invasion, like Mersing, Singkawang, or Ambon.

No hunting of Allied CV's during the first turn.

Air

No 4E below 10,000ft. - Restricted to 10k or higher for naval and ground attacks (does not include PBY/Mavis type patrol craft).

Aircraft Limitations (reflecting the Between the Storm/RA Mods):
-No A6M3 on CVEs
-No A6M4 on any form of Carrier
-A7M Sam and B7A-D Grace cannot be operated from CVEs

General

PPs must be paid when changing theater.

No strategic bombing anywhere until 1 July 1943.

Thai units may freely enter Burma and Malaya, but require PP's to enter India or China.

No invasions or paradrops on non-base hexes.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/12/2014 6:27:41 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 87
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/12/2014 5:31:36 PM   
Cribtop

A few comments on the HRs:

1) We are using Symon's air war modifications and thus hope to avoid the need for any altitude or maneuver band restrictions.

2) No strat bombing until July '43 helps me in the DEI and at Magwe. It helps Michael in Oz and China. I thought hard about this one given the latest vogue of strat bombing in Australia but decided it was ok.

3) Multiple port strikes so long as CV air participates. This is very bad news for Allied shipping in Manila and Pearl Harbor, IMHO.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 88
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/12/2014 5:37:55 PM   
Cribtop

I am working through the horrid beast that is Turn 1, but I must say that the more logical IJN fleet dispositions and layout in Between the Storms is helping with that. Very interesting to see 6 CVs and 6 CVLs (and 3 CVEs) ready for action on day 1. I also like that Saipan is a developed base. Helpful starting point for moves on Wake.

I am struggling a bit to remember some of the economic stuff. Thus, some questions.

I know I need to crank Vehicle production a bit. We start at around 115. I vaguely recall that 200 was a good number - is that right?

How much do you guys increase the smaller shipyards in total?

For aircraft R&D, assuming I want 7X30 on my fighters (Zero, Tojo, Frank, George, Sam), a little on Helen and Peggy (maybe 3X30 each), and a night fighter (3X30?), which factories do you re-purpose in order to be most efficient? Some planes are useless but a few I wouldn't mind continuing the at start research effort. Obviously I've got a lot of factories to convert. Which ones are best for conversion and increase?

Also on R&D, what is the "correct" setting for upgrade/repair/production? Is it no/yes/no?

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/12/2014 6:39:56 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 89
RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) -... - 8/12/2014 5:44:54 PM   
Cribtop

And now a comment on "THE PLAN."

Taking the DEI fast is priority 1. I also want to magic move KB3 (Hiryu, Soryu and a new CVL) to link up with the 3 CVLs from Cam Ranh Bay at a point near Manila. This force will paste Manila in co-operation with LBA from Formosa. After that, I am considering 2 options.

Option 1 - This powerful 2 CV/4 CVL force stays together and supports invasions of Manila, Borneo and Palembang. Then it shifts to the eastern DEI for invasions along the Manado/Ambon/Kendari/Timor axis. Safer but slower.

Option 2 - The force divides again and KB 3 supports one side of the invasions above while the 3 CVLs support the other. This allows simultaneous moves along both axes. Faster but riskier.

I am currently leaning toward option 1 given that Allied resistance will be stronger than in stock and that my overall war plan is not dependent on a rapid move into Phase 2 during the invasion bonus period. What do y'all think of these options?

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/12/2014 6:45:30 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: NFC East Showdown: Cribtop (J) vs nygiants59 (A) - Reluctant Admiral Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI