Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: acclerated ship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: acclerated ship Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: acclerated ship - 11/11/2004 9:38:28 PM   
tsimmonds

Just as a fast example (not a recommendation but a possibility) wouldn't you rather take the points from those CVs abuilding that will arrive in spring 45, and use them to accelerate the 3 earlier Unryus so that they arrive, say 6 months early? Or accelerate all your DDs by 6 months?

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 11/11/2004 2:41:38 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 61
RE: acclerated ship - 11/11/2004 9:41:49 PM   
Tophat

It's also easy enough to test in game whether you are currently paying for a ship or not. Go into the arrival schedule. Pick a ship. Click on the word "NORMAL". If you can change it to "HALTED" (or whatever it is), you are currently paying for it.

Thanks irrelevant,I also found this out! Trial and error,i couldn't halt the RO-subs on turn 2 yet!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 62
RE: acclerated ship - 11/12/2004 10:36:41 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Oh, another little chore that the Japanese player has to do in production (besides increasing his woefully undersized armament production by at least 3X, and increasing vehicle production by 50% or more, and tuning his air production so he isn't doing things like producing a ton of Nates he will never use) is to build up his naval ship yards so he can actually achieve on-schedule delivery of everything his navy has in the pipeline.

To date, I haven't seen a need to expand Japan's merchant shipyards, but frankly I am not looking that closely. But everything else going on in the Japanese production arena needs somewhere between significant and a-ton-of attention.

On the other hand, if the Japanese player halts construction on Shinano, that saves him enough shipbuilding points (193,680) to, say, accelerate the first 4 Unryus. Another good source of shipbuilding points is the coastal submarine program; foregoing just one of the RO boats will give you an additional 6250 points to play with; there are 33 of them in the program, you do the math. Do you really need the Oyodo and the Aganos? There's another 40,000 points. And so on....

going by what youve told me how does halting the Shinano give you 4 unryus? i get 180 points per day. just accelerating the Shoho takes 90 points per day from the examples we talked about. just curious here...

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 63
RE: acclerated ship - 11/12/2004 2:30:57 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

going by what youve told me how does halting the Shinano give you 4 unryus? i get 180 points per day. just accelerating the Shoho takes 90 points per day from the examples we talked about. just curious here...

Notice I didn't say how much you dould accelerate them by?

Seriously, just looking at the points, by 1/1/44, you would have paid 135,720 points for Shinano. Accelerating an Unryu costs 136 points per day. Thats 1,000 days worth of acceleration.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 64
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 6:17:08 PM   
String

so basically to accelerate a ship you need to halt atleast the same number of shipbuilding points (provided that there is no deficit already)?

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 65
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 6:31:57 PM   
tsimmonds

Hypothetical example. Say this turn you would spend 1000 points on ships under normal construction, and you will also produce 1000 shipbuilding points. Assume that you now decide you would like to accelerate a ship with a durability of 50. This will cost an additional 100 points (50 x 2). So either you must halt construction of at least 100 durability points worth of ships, or the game will halt the construction of however many ships it takes to get the points requirement back under 1000, beginning with the most expensive one.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to String)
Post #: 66
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 6:33:55 PM   
String

quote:

Hypothetical example. Say this turn you would spend 1000 points on ships under normal construction, and you will also produce 1000 shipbuilding points. Assume that you now decide you would like to accelerate a ship with a durability of 50. This will cost an additional 100 points (50 x 2). So either you must halt construction of at least 100 durability points worth of ships, or the game will halt the construction of however many ships it takes to get the points requirement back under 1000, beginning with the most expensive one.

okies.. thanks for the explanation, i was under the impression that you only needed another 50 points to accelerate a 50 durability ship. Must have not read closely enough.. anyway, thanks

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 67
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 7:12:30 PM   
Pocus

how to upgrade some of the AK/AP to another type? I think its feasible, as other players has reported converting some, but dunno how to proceed. I suppose it will use merchant shipyards points too?

(in reply to String)
Post #: 68
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 7:16:42 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

how to upgrade some of the AK/AP to another type? I think its feasible, as other players has reported converting some, but dunno how to proceed. I suppose it will use merchant shipyards points too?

on the first turn of the campaign you can convert those in either san francisco or Osaka.

You can only convert 7000 capacity AK's iirc to AE, AR, MLE, AV,AS and AD's. They need to be disbanded in port and if you go to the ship information screen you ought to see the options there. They take about 180 days to complete after that, depending on the class they convert to. This can be only done on the very first turn of the campaign

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 69
RE: acclerated ship - 11/17/2004 7:16:56 PM   
tsimmonds

You need a capacity 7000 AK anchored in Osaka. Select the AK and look at the lower left corner of the ship information screen. They take 180 days and cost 20 or 22 merchant shipbuilding points apiece per day. Presumably you could accelerate one for an additional 40 or 44 MSP per day.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 9/10/2005 10:08:17 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 70
RE: acclerated ship - 11/18/2004 10:23:27 AM   
Pocus

ouch, I dont remember seeing that in the manual. How a lambda player is supposed to know that nice feature??

Anyway, great and many thanks!

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 71
RE: acclerated ship - 11/18/2004 5:10:28 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Only first turn of the campaign??? I've been doing it afterwords myself with no problems. FYI

(in reply to String)
Post #: 72
RE: acclerated ship - 1/6/2006 4:47:52 AM   
tsimmonds

bump for vertical

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 73
RE: acclerated ship - 1/27/2006 8:17:55 PM   
kevini100

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: esteban

Oh, another little chore that the Japanese player has to do in production (besides increasing his woefully undersized armament production by at least 3X, and increasing vehicle production by 50% or more, and tuning his air production so he isn't doing things like producing a ton of Nates he will never use) is to build up his naval ship yards so he can actually achieve on-schedule delivery of everything his navy has in the pipeline.

To date, I haven't seen a need to expand Japan's merchant shipyards, but frankly I am not looking that closely. But everything else going on in the Japanese production arena needs somewhere between significant and a-ton-of attention.

On the other hand, if the Japanese player halts construction on Shinano, that saves him enough shipbuilding points (193,680) to, say, accelerate the first 4 Unryus. Another good source of shipbuilding points is the coastal submarine program; foregoing just one of the RO boats will give you an additional 6250 points to play with; there are 33 of them in the program, you do the math. Do you really need the Oyodo and the Aganos? There's another 40,000 points. And so on....

What are the Oyodo and Aganos? Aren't these Crusiers? Seems they would be usefull.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 74
RE: acclerated ship - 1/27/2006 8:22:10 PM   
tsimmonds

They are. I've since then figured out a way to do what acceleration I want without cancelling these CLs.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to kevini100)
Post #: 75
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 10:25:08 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

on the first turn of the campaign you can convert those in either san francisco or Osaka.

You can only convert 7000 capacity AK's iirc to AE, AR, MLE, AV,AS and AD's. They need to be disbanded in port and if you go to the ship information screen you ought to see the options there. They take about 180 days to complete after that, depending on the class they convert to. This can be only done on the very first turn of the campaign

If by saying "very first day of the campaign" you are talking about 7000 AK's conversions, I've done it lots of times beyond those dates. My memory is a little vague on this, but all I know is that I sent AK's to Osaka and when they arrived I converted them and they went into the build queue (which of course means that the converting was done day two at the earliest). Technically, whether it matters or not, I might had been converting AK's which were already at Osaka on day one, and perhaps the real rule is it will only let you convert those, but not only on day one, but if so I would have expected just from the randomness of picking ships that I would've failed to convert one once and that never occured.

Have you seen this stated in the manual? That seems awfully restrictive if so. Have they screwed this up on a later version?

(in reply to String)
Post #: 76
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 11:56:54 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Accelerating a ship uses twice as many and does twice as much towards movig the ship to completion. (It advances 2 days instead of 1)

IF the manual is correct (a moderately big if), Mogami has not put it quite right:

while the ship does move 2 days instead of 1

the cost is TRIPLE what it would normally be.

Since you are getting 2 days at 3 times the cost of 1 day, that means each day costs you 1.5 times - or this is 50% higher in cost - not double the cost.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 77
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 11:57:40 AM   
von Beanie

You can convert AKs to other ships anytime in the game at the two ports (SF and Osaka). I do it all of the time without problems (and I learned I could do it in a game when I forgot to do the conversions on turn 1).

On the other hand, does the Japanese player spend any naval construction points to repair ships? I have always assumed that if I have a damaged BB in a repair facility it must be eating up large numbers of industrial points of some kind.

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 78
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 12:32:00 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

On the other hand, does the Japanese player spend any naval construction points to repair ships? I have always assumed that if I have a damaged BB in a repair facility it must be eating up large numbers of industrial points of some kind.

Strangely enough, it appears that Repair Points have no cost of any kind.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 79
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 12:36:45 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Technically, whether it matters or not, I might had been converting AK's which were already at Osaka on day one, and perhaps the real rule is it will only let you convert those, but not only on day one, but if so I would have expected just from the randomness of picking ships that I would've failed to convert one once and that never occured.

Have you seen this stated in the manual? That seems awfully restrictive if so. Have they screwed this up on a later version?

No, AK conversions can be done at any time, using any large AK that is anchored at Osaka, whether it was there on day 1 or not.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 80
RE: acclerated ship - 1/28/2006 12:54:51 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

Accelerating a ship uses twice as many and does twice as much towards movig the ship to completion. (It advances 2 days instead of 1)

IF the manual is correct (a moderately big if), Mogami has not put it quite right:

while the ship does move 2 days instead of 1

the cost is TRIPLE what it would normally be.

Since you are getting 2 days at 3 times the cost of 1 day, that means each day costs you 1.5 times - or this is 50% higher in cost - not double the cost.

You're both right. A day's worth of acceleration costs double the normal cost. Add this to the normal construction cost for the day, and the normal cost becomes tripled. If this is still unclear to anyone, it is covered near the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

Edit: The cost of one day's worth of acceleration depends on how close the ship is to completion. If it is less than 10X durability in days to availability, the cost to accelerate is 2X normal cost. Add this to the cost to advance a single day, and you have 3X normal cost to advance two days. However, if it is greater than 10X durability in days to availability, but less than 30X days, the cost to accelerate is 1X the normal cost. And since the normal cost to advance a single day in this range is -0-, the total cost is 1X normal to advance two days. It pays to figure out beforehand what ships you want to accelerate, and to accelerate them as soon as you can.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 8/15/2006 2:57:37 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 81
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: acclerated ship Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI