Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 3/26/2013 8:52:16 PM   
RavenX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

Don't remove the troop images. It will definitely crash the mod. I think the game won't even start without them. That's one of the initial mistakes I made when starting out.

I appreciate that Antiscamp, thank you. The thing I'm wondering though is I'm looking to add these other families of shipImages, hence I'll need to add a troop image for their families. When I look at the files for the shipsImages and troops in DW:Extended, it has 37 families of ships but 38 troop images. Troop_38.PNG has No shipImage family with it. If I add more shipImage families then I assume I need to add a troop image for that family. Does that mean I'll need to assign a "extra" troop image as there's already one extra in DW:Extended?

What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 181
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 3/26/2013 10:05:05 PM   
RavenX

Ok, something odd to report. I took out Troop_38.png since it didn't have a associated shipImage family. Started up the game, changed themes and then back to DW:Extended just in case that would "re-load" the mod, and it still plays fine.

I also figured out why, the old fashioned way. I took out a piece of paper and wrote down all 38 races then looking in the races.txt for each one to see which race was calling for the troop.png with no shipImage family. unluckily for me I started this with the Zenox and worked my way up from the bottom. About half way through I decided to click the Ackdarians and work down when I saw they called for FamilyIndex 0. I immediately realized I started my numbering at 1, not 0, and with 38 races starting a number count with 0 included only calls for 37 image families which also applies to troop.png's . Troop_38.png is never called for by any of the race or policy files.

I imagine pulling one out that is called for would definitely crash the game though :)

What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 182
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 3/26/2013 11:47:34 PM   
Blueberry

Haree78,

Keep updating/upgrading the mod, mate. As I and so many others have stated on numerous occasions here on the forums, the mod is great and the game doesn't feel right to me without it any longer. And, to be honest about it, in general, I prefer playing my games without any mods.

Hope you are making plans for shadows once the expansion is out.

Antiscamp, been away for a while.... Been busy like hell.... It's great to see another lets play on YouTube. Going to check it out. We need more of those... many more.

< Message edited by Blueberry -- 3/26/2013 11:48:22 PM >

(in reply to Antiscamp)
Post #: 183
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 3/27/2013 3:33:07 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RavenX

Ok, something odd to report. I took out Troop_38.png since it didn't have a associated shipImage family. Started up the game, changed themes and then back to DW:Extended just in case that would "re-load" the mod, and it still plays fine.

I also figured out why, the old fashioned way. I took out a piece of paper and wrote down all 38 races then looking in the races.txt for each one to see which race was calling for the troop.png with no shipImage family. unluckily for me I started this with the Zenox and worked my way up from the bottom. About half way through I decided to click the Ackdarians and work down when I saw they called for FamilyIndex 0. I immediately realized I started my numbering at 1, not 0, and with 38 races starting a number count with 0 included only calls for 37 image families which also applies to troop.png's . Troop_38.png is never called for by any of the race or policy files.

I imagine pulling one out that is called for would definitely crash the game though :)

RavenX;
Don't know if you realize this, but there has to be a Troop image for the "Robotic Troop". That
would cause the crash. The Robotic Troop image is used as a representation image for ALL the races,
thus the 'extra' image in the count.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 184
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 3/27/2013 3:59:21 AM   
RavenX

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

RavenX;
Don't know if you realize this, but there has to be a Troop image for the "Robotic Troop". That
would cause the crash. The Robotic Troop image is used as a representation image for ALL the races,
thus the 'extra' image in the count.

Yeap, that one is still there. This one was there to keep the count of the generic troop image count the same as the race count. Ran fine without the extra troop image file. Since that post today I've added a bunch of ship and troop images. I've replaced some of the ship images from the original and some of the ones from DW:Extended with other assets I've found here on the forums and with some the other awesome modders here gave me. All is going good so far. Every time I add a new element the first thing I do is launch the game and make sure it doesn't crash. So far so good.

Much appreciated my friend. :)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 185
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 3/27/2013 7:48:12 AM   
Unforeseen

Love this mod, great job.

I didn't really like the XHuman story that much, just to improbable for that kind of a genetic change to take place across an entire planet so quickly. Creative though, and its a minor detail anyways.
Also thank you very much for changing the Dhayut's picture. I Dislike spiders passionately, and the cute little robot is a nice fix.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 186
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 5/16/2013 6:03:27 PM   
Haree78

What can we expect for Distant Worlds Extended Shadows?

+Unique troop images for all races consistent with Shadows art work.
+Unique ship designs for all Extended races. Shadows includes unique ships designs for all races and a much improved ship designer that uses templates much more intelligently.
+Updated research priorities. Shadows uses an improved research automation to better focus based on what the AI needs for it's designs.
+Pirate empire versions of several of the Extended empires with their own unique ship designs.

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 5/18/2013 6:20:31 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 187
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 5/18/2013 6:20:52 PM   
Haree78

A small update on coming soon.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 188
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 5/18/2013 7:17:32 PM   
Bingeling

I am happy to hear you are prepared.

It is no big surprise that you have control of their ship designs ;-)

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 189
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/19/2013 6:46:12 AM   
eroots

this is the best, thanks! More races is just what we needed!

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 190
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/23/2013 8:28:29 AM   
PWOFalcon

I am very happy your bring this to Shadow. I always use your mod when I play. More options with races besides the same ones all the time.

(in reply to eroots)
Post #: 191
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/23/2013 3:55:54 PM   
AminMaalouf

I look forward this mod adaption.

(in reply to PWOFalcon)
Post #: 192
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/23/2013 7:20:59 PM   
dejagore

@Haree78 - You have surely made best DW mod ever. It should be included by default while installing game.
Great job there mate ! Looking forward to see it compatible with DW:Shadows.

(in reply to PWOFalcon)
Post #: 193
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/23/2013 7:45:52 PM   
joeyeti

For an unitiated noob that I am in this mod:

What would you say the Extended MOD supplies a player with - is it basically remodelled races with different stats and interracial relationships in comparison to the standard game?

Or even something else?

Joe

(in reply to dejagore)
Post #: 194
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 3:55:34 AM   
Haree78

Distant Worlds Extended Shadows released, see the original post.

Known issue: All pirate races are using the same images for their troops, no idea why, I have reported it. Fairly sure it is a problem with themes.

@joeyeti
This 'mod' was intended as an unofficial expansion for Distant Worlds. Adding races to the game that really mixes up what Distant Worlds does with it's races. The new races bring a lot of new things to the table, very different objectives and things to consider that the original races don't have. Some races certain resources are important, or their win conditions are unique. Also a lot of things are done with which races like which other races. The new races also change how certain race families may behave. Mixing up how the insectoids may behave, mixing up who might like who. Also there is the potential based on the races for a lot more mixed conflict. Not just insectoids against everyone, the humanoids all allying every game like in the base game.

The only thing that has gone outside of the remit of the 'mod' being an expansion was the new race images. I decided to go with this approach so that all race art was consistent and the game has a consistent feel, new races don't look out of place.

Reading through the original post in this thread will show you how the new races are and how they change the game quite a bit.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 195
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 4:31:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

Great to see, thanks Haree!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 196
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 8:18:08 AM   
joeyeti

Thx Haree! That is what I wanted to hear - and kudos for all your work!

One question - will the Legends version be obsolete fron now on, or do you plan to do some more finishing touches on that one yet (if there is anything that can be yet updated)?

Joe

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 197
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 8:53:50 AM   
Haree78

I have no intentions to revisit the Legends version now. If something comes up that is an easy fix for the Legends version as well I will do that but probably any additions will be the Shadows version only.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 198
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 6:30:11 PM   
StarLab

DL'ing now!

Too bad I'm 5 episodes into my Shadows LP or I would have used this mod. Oh well, next time.

Can't wait to play this mod again! Thanks!

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 199
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 6:30:52 PM   
DasTactic

Awesome work Haree. :) Your mod did such great things to enhance the DW universe without overly affecting the underlying game-play.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 200
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 7:13:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

Its a shame you can make all these races but have no options to add the backstories in the pedia.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 201
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 7:46:26 PM   
moonraker65

Thanks Haree Very quick work kind sir

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 202
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 7:56:24 PM   
dostillevi

Excellent!

It looks to me like you've had to update the following for shadows:

-New design templates
-Updated dialog options for new pirate actions
-Updated policy files for a lot of things
-Updated race files for troop names and pirate stuff
-Updated ship images folder names to account for the new ship images in Shadows
-Added troop images for new races.. I also replaced the default Naxilian troop images since they don't look like dinosaurs so much with your mod.

-I also updated your about.png since you've changed the race icon for the Visareen.

Anything I'm missing? If this is it I'm ready to start converting other mods to Shadows!

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 203
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 8:30:08 PM   
Igard

Fantastic work Haree! I'm starting a game with this now.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 204
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 8:42:47 PM   
Bingeling

Brilliant!

My AAR is getting stale, and I need some motivation to start a new game.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 205
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/24/2013 9:28:31 PM   
Buio

Thanks for all work done, great stuff!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 206
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/25/2013 3:59:49 AM   
Haree78

Thanks all, really glad you all enjoy it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

Excellent!

It looks to me like you've had to update the following for shadows:

-New design templates
-Updated dialog options for new pirate actions
-Updated policy files for a lot of things
-Updated race files for troop names and pirate stuff
-Updated ship images folder names to account for the new ship images in Shadows
-Added troop images for new races.. I also replaced the default Naxilian troop images since they don't look like dinosaurs so much with your mod.

-I also updated your about.png since you've changed the race icon for the Visareen.

Anything I'm missing? If this is it I'm ready to start converting other mods to Shadows!

When I checked the diolog files it was the same as the dialog files in Shadows so honestly I can't remember if I updated them at some point in Shadows testing or there wasn't any changes.

You are exactly right with the rest.
Regarding the Naxx I just went with the idea that they were using creatures for their troops but I can understand you wanting to change them.

*Small preview of something I am working on.

If you thought designing all them ships takes a long time.....
This is taking a damn lot of work but expect it some time in the near future :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Its a shame you can make all these races but have no options to add the backstories in the pedia.

Totally agree, the request went in, maybe in a post release update :(

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 207
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/25/2013 5:15:41 AM   
PWOFalcon

kind of wish you don't use Media Fire, every time I download from there I get viruses and screws my computer up each time.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 208
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/25/2013 5:58:03 AM   
dostillevi

These look awesome! By the way would you mind sharing what tools/process you use to create ship sets? I think it's time I took a more serious look into these things :)

quote:

*Small preview of something I am working on.

If you thought designing all them ships takes a long time.....
This is taking a damn lot of work but expect it some time in the near future :)

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 209
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 5/25/2013 6:06:57 AM   
dostillevi

"CANCELPIRATEPROTECTION ;We no longer want your 'protection'. Our arrangement with you is cancelled.
CANCELPIRATEPROTECTIONPIRATE ;We no longer wish to protect you. Our protection arrangement with you is cancelled.
PIRATE_PROTECTIONPROPOSE_OFFER_ACCEPT ;We accept your offer of protection. We agree to pay {0} credits per month to you.
PIRATE_PROTECTIONPROPOSE_OFFER_REJECT ;We reject your offer of 'protection'.

PIRATE_EXTORTPROTECTION ;Greetings to our victims! You may have noticed that we are about to attack you. But for the small price of {0} credits per month we could avoid this unnecessary violence.\n\nOf course, you really should have paid up sooner. Now that our attack is underway, we have no choice but to increase our prices.\n\nSo are you ready to pay up now?

PIRATE_TRUCEPROPOSE ;You are wise to seek a truce with us. If you agree to a truce, we can ensure your safety throughout our domain.
PIRATE_TRUCEPROPOSEINITIATE ;Who knows what hidden dangers await you when travelling through the lawless regions of space?\n\nBy agreeing to a truce we can ensure your safety throughout our domain.\n\nWhat do you say?
PIRATE_TRUCEACCEPTRESPONSE ;Excellent! We will ensure that your ships do not suffer any 'unfortunate accidents' while our truce holds...
PIRATE_TRUCEREJECTRESPONSE ;As you wish. But without a truce we cannot guarantee your safety..."

This is added to the end of the base dialog file in shadows. I didn't actually look at your to see if you made changes. I thought I saw some changes in one of your races too but maybe not.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI