Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pricing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Pride of Nations >> RE: Pricing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 8:57:55 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

I wasn't aware of this game until it was announced here, but it caught my interest. But I am not prepared to spend more money on anything when I can legally purchase the very same product somewhere else for a fraction of the prize offered here, no matter what issues about past/current rights the involved companies may have. Purchasing at a higher prize would be economically foolish on my part (and hard to explain to my personal secretary of finance - aka wife).

That's got nothing to do with "not wanting to support matrixgames/Slitherine", or with the fact that wargames are rather a niche nowadays in the FPS game world, thus have fewer audience and need higher prizes to break even etc etc etc.

PON is a old game, released June 2011 or something. Iain wrote above that

quote:

The game made a huge loss overall and will never break even

By offering it now at the prize of Euro 20.99 D/L or Euro 28.99 boxed will for sure not make it reach the break even point either. The damage to the company involved has already been done - but this is and never was the fault of the customers.

Written all that, I am going for a compromise. I've just purchased PON at a lower prize somewhere else, and will get the DLC's via AGEOD or matrixgames/Slitherine.

I don't think Iain was attempting to blame the customer for anything . I guess the key response to your comments is that all our experience says that, for huge games like PoN, offering the game at extremely low price-points does not radically increase sales, but most definitely does reduce the ability of the developer to make back their time and effort.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 31
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 9:11:31 PM   
rodney727

You buy the rights to coke (they drink coke in the UK right?). On your website you list it as 4.49. While Walmart everyday low price is 2.49. But you don't understand why people are mad because your charging 4.49 per 12pack while they can buy the same thing cheaper elsewhere . Get it?
quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

quote:

I wasn't aware of this game until it was announced here, but it caught my interest. But I am not prepared to spend more money on anything when I can legally purchase the very same product somewhere else for a fraction of the prize offered here, no matter what issues about past/current rights the involved companies may have. Purchasing at a higher prize would be economically foolish on my part (and hard to explain to my personal secretary of finance - aka wife).

That's got nothing to do with "not wanting to support matrixgames/Slitherine", or with the fact that wargames are rather a niche nowadays in the FPS game world, thus have fewer audience and need higher prizes to break even etc etc etc.

PON is a old game, released June 2011 or something. Iain wrote above that

quote:

The game made a huge loss overall and will never break even

By offering it now at the prize of Euro 20.99 D/L or Euro 28.99 boxed will for sure not make it reach the break even point either. The damage to the company involved has already been done - but this is and never was the fault of the customers.

Written all that, I am going for a compromise. I've just purchased PON at a lower prize somewhere else, and will get the DLC's via AGEOD or matrixgames/Slitherine.

I don't think Iain was attempting to blame the customer for anything . I guess the key response to your comments is that all our experience says that, for huge games like PoN, offering the game at extremely low price-points does not radically increase sales, but most definitely does reduce the ability of the developer to make back their time and effort.

Cheers

Pip

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 32
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 9:27:34 PM   
Plainian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plain Ian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

UK customers get a direct currency conversion to US customers so the price is £17.99. The Ageod store is migration to our payment system so when this happens all prices will match exactly. UK customers are not getting cheated in any way. It is a pure currency conversion.

Of course we are being cheated. Read the original poster.

Ageod are charging UK gamers £15.99 which includes VAT.
Matrix are charging £17.99 then adding VAT £3.60 to make £21.59.

Even if you look at the dollar value of the game we still lose. The game is $24.99 then that should be £16.23 (before tax) at todays conversion cost. If you are converting $24.99 to £17.99 that means you are giving us £1.39 to the $??? I don't follow the Dollar exchange rate but maybe someone can tell me when it was below £1.40?

Iain can answer more fully I am sure, but:

- your own quote contains Iain's point the store is in transition and that once it is complete the prices will be the same.

- currency conversions via payment processors are not as simple as looking at an instant (generally mid-market) exchange rate.

Cheers

Pip

I think if you read Iain's statement it indicates that Ageod prices will be harmonized (or migrated as he calls it) to Matrix prices......UP.

Using a mid range exchange rate sounds pretty fair. Of course you could just use the simpler $1 = £1 exchange rate. We are pretty used to that one over here.

Post #: 33
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 10:25:45 PM   
IainMcNeil

We know there are other sites who sell the games and they may have them at lower prices but we're removing them one by one.

If you feel you can get a better deal elsewhere then that's fine. All I'm saying is that that revenue will unlikely ever make it to Ageod as we have no connection to those companies Paradox licensed the games to and have to force them to remove them from sale and likely will never get them to report the sales. It's wrong, illegal or whatever you want to call it, but it's the way the world works.

We'll still support you no questions asked.

To support this Ageod needs a stable revenue stream and we're putting the pieces in place to allow for that. The Ageod team have been scraping by for years and we want to give them security and allow them to focus on making the games and not worry about where the next pay check is coming from.

You are ultimately in control and if you don't want to pay the price you won't but we know from experience what we are doing is best for the team. Nobody ever likes paying more if they can get something for less so I understand why people always argue the prices should be lower and because there is one publisher and lots of customers it can look like we are in the wrong purely because there are more of you than us, but trust us - we know what we're doing.

In the long run this will benefit everyone as if we don't take these steps you won't even have the option to buy or not as the games simple won't exist.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Plainian)
Post #: 34
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 11:07:33 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

I don't think Iain was attempting to blame the customer for anything .

I don't think so either.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeill

....You are ultimately in control and if you don't want to pay the price you won't but we know from experience what we are doing is best for the team. Nobody ever likes paying more if they can get something for less so I understand why people always argue the prices should be lower and because there is one publisher and lots of customers it can look like we are in the wrong purely because there are more of you than us, but trust us - we know what we're doing.

In the long run this will benefit everyone as if we don't take these steps you won't even have the option to buy or not as the games simple won't exist.

Sure you know what you are doing, it is not my intention to argue about how to run a company - you know that better than me. I understand that no company can afford to virtually throw out their products for almost nothing.

Bottom line, a old product gets a HUGE prize increase, and some customers (or potential ones) don't like it. That the company doing so has it's reasons, is also clear.

Perfect example of sharing the same interest (wargames) while sitting on opposite sides of the table (Seller/buyer).

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Post #: 35
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 11:21:40 PM   
rodney727

I just don't buy into this sorry. You bought the rights to an old game and want to make your money back. I would be fine if you stated that that you were going to make new dcls for this game but your not. So tell me why I would pay $20 more for a game in which every year or so you might release a patch. You should have released this game at $9.99. Yes I'm sure you are doing everything in your power to stop selling this game at a lower price you know how silly you sound when you say"we are removing them one by one" I would have loved to be in the meeting when you purchased this game. This is just another example of someone who sits behind a desk and has lost touch with the modern world.
quote:

We know there are other sites who sell the games and they may have them at lower prices but we're removing them one by one.

If you feel you can get a better deal elsewhere then that's fine. All I'm saying is that that revenue will unlikely ever make it to Ageod as we have no connection to those companies Paradox licensed the games to and have to force them to remove them from sale and likely will never get them to report the sales. It's wrong, illegal or whatever you want to call it, but it's the way the world works.

We'll still support you no questions asked.

To support this Ageod needs a stable revenue stream and we're putting the pieces in place to allow for that. The Ageod team have been scraping by for years and we want to give them security and allow them to focus on making the games and not worry about where the next pay check is coming from.

You are ultimately in control and if you don't want to pay the price you won't but we know from experience what we are doing is best for the team. Nobody ever likes paying more if they can get something for less so I understand why people always argue the prices should be lower and because there is one publisher and lots of customers it can look like we are in the wrong purely because there are more of you than us, but trust us - we know what we're doing.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 12:15:05 AM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 36
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 11:29:37 PM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

UK customers get a direct currency conversion to US customers so the price is £17.99.

No it isn't, the price here in the UK is £21.59.

And I am pretty certain that when some or as in this case probably all of the intended customers are liable to pay VAT (i.e. is a consumer rather than a business) stating or advertising a price that is exclusive of VAT is in contravention of HMRC and ASA requirements (and probably a breach of consumer law here in the UK - you might want to check with Slitherine on this point or better yet AGEOD as they quote their prices inclusive of VAT) but more to my point it is very irritating to be told that a price is less than it is, even if they wanted to a UK customer cannot purchase PoN from Matrix for £17.99.

When did you last review the exchange rates $24.99 = £17.99 (approx £1 = $1.40) hasn't been the exchange rate since March 2009 (and that coincidentally was it's lowest point for the past 5 years), for the last 2 years the exchange rate has been in the range of £1 = $1.50 - $1.60

< Message edited by Wolfe -- 4/12/2013 12:19:32 AM >

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 37
RE: Pricing - 4/11/2013 11:33:56 PM   
rodney727

I paid 1.99 for this game. What's that translate in UK ?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

UK customers get a direct currency conversion to US customers so the price is £17.99.

No it isn't the price here in the UK is £21.59.

And I am pretty certain that when the some or as in this case probably all of the intended customers are liable to pay VAT (i.e. is a consumer rather than a business) stating or advertising a price that is exclusive of VAT is in contravention of HMRC and ASA requirements (and probably a breach of consumer law here in the UK - you might want to check with Slitherine on this point)but more to my point it is very irritating to be told that a price is less than it is, even if they wanted to a UK customer cannot purchase PoN from Matrix for £17.99.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 38
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 12:39:41 AM   
Rocko911

Once again you may be able to stop the digital downloads, however you cannot stop legit physical copies being sold in the US due to UCC laws. The first time you try you will get slapped with a lawsuit so quick you will not know what hit you, over here on this side of the pond our the Justice Dept loves going after companies who violate it. Also I can buy the physical version for $23 delivered currently.

< Message edited by LRRP -- 4/12/2013 12:40:13 AM >

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 39
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 12:44:22 AM   
rodney727

They want 24.99 in US right now. I paid 1.99 for this game. If you paid 23 I am sorry..
quote:

ORIGINAL: LRRP

Once again you may be able to stop the digital downloads, however you cannot stop legit physical copies being sold in the US due to UCC laws. The first time you try you will get slapped with a lawsuit so quick you will not know what hit you, over here on this side of the pond our the Justice Dept loves going after companies who violate it. Also I can buy the physical version for $23 delivered currently.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Rocko911)
Post #: 40
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 12:45:52 AM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

WOW , with customers like these , who needs enemies?

So , if I understand, Slith/matrix OWNS these games now and has set a price point so they can keep the developer alive for new games, as well as continue to support the old games ( and that support includes tech support which aint free)
As of yesterday, ONLY they own the games and anyone else selling them is doing so illegally.
However, they are saying even if you go out now and buy it illegally, they wont stop you BUT will still provide full tech support even if they dont see a dime from your illegal purchase...

I see that "lack of choice " as common complaint

if you bought legally for 1.99 back in the day, good for you, smart comsumer choice. You dont need to chose on the new price , you own the game and why post? Unless its to brag...or you are the advocate champion of the poor sad wargamer whom cant afford an xtra 10 bucks for a game...

lets look at the choices you have
*buy the game from Slith/Matrix or dont (the only honourable choice)
*rush out and buy it cheap while the gettings good, even though you know its illegal.
* and my favorite, rush out , buy it illegally and then post what youve done here so you can show everyone what high moral fiber you have

Gimme a break guys

Also, every penny you deny Aegeod is another setback to a strategic level 30 Years War engine I hope to see before I croak.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 41
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 12:56:19 AM   
rodney727

Please spare me. I'm not a "yes" man like you and most on here. And I can see by this you never worked a day in retail. Please don't BS me. I've seen it all. The way matrix/slitheine alienates its so called loyal customers is downright astounding. I often wonder how long a retail chain would last if they adopted matrix/slitheines polices. Not long I imagine. So you are saying a year and half ago I purchased a game illegally? I'm sorry this was not the "honorable " choice to make. And it's more like 22 bucks do the math.
quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

quote:

So , if I understand, Slith/matrix OWNS these games now and has set a price point so they can keep the developer alive for new games, as well as continue to support the old games ( and that support includes tech support which aint free)
As of yesterday, ONLY they own the games and anyone else selling them is doing so illegally.
However, they are saying even if you go out now and buy it illegally, they wont stop you BUT will still provide full tech support even if they dont see a dime from your illegal purchase...

if you bought legally for 1.99 back in the day, good for you, smart comsumer choice. You dont need to chose on the new price , you own the game and why post? Unless its to brag...or you are the advocate champion of the poor sad wargamer whom cant afford an xtra 10 bucks for a game...

*rush out and buy it cheap while the gettings good, even though you know its illegal.
* and my favorite, rush out , buy it illegally and then post what youve done here so you can show everyone what high moral fiber you have

Gimme a break guys

Also, every penny you deny Aegeod is another setback to a strategic level 30 Years War engine I hope to see before I croak.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 1:23:24 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 42
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 1:08:38 AM   
Hotschi

I don't know about downloads, but purchasing - even now - a boxed version of the game somewhere else for a lower prize - or any other prize! - is not illegal. It's just as if I am purchasing PON used at any second-hand shop.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 4/12/2013 1:26:20 AM >

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Post #: 43
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 1:19:46 AM   
rodney727

Simply wow! Another "yes" man sent from above. Folks if you buy this game on a disk at at a second hand shop for a buck and believe me this game is worth no more than five bucks it is legal!! Don't let ignorance prevail.
quote:

I don't know about downloads, but purchasing - even now - a boxed version of the game somewhere else for a lower prize - or any other prize! - is as illegal as purchasing PON used at any second-hand shop.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 1:20:22 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 44
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 1:20:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

I think Iain has pretty much covered it, but we discussed this internally at some length today, going over all the feedback here and reviewing our decisions to make sure we were doing the best we could for AGEOD and our customers, so let me review the highlights.

1. We set the price for release on Matrix and Slitherine based on the same price AGEOD had been charging through their online store. We matched their price, we did not exceed it. That's the part of the price-matching which I was referring to earlier. Per our pricing, if this were a new release this would be more like a $40 or $50 game, but we matched the existing price for the AGEOD store.

2. The strategy that Paradox was pursuing with the AGEOD titles was indeed getting them out to many, many distributors and they were being sold at much lower prices in many of those places. We completely understand why this looks like a positive thing from the customer's perspective. The problem is, this was actually hurting AGEOD - the result of all that activity and low prices meant that they were not making enough revenue. Our goal is to allow AGEOD to thrive and develop games for a long time to come. Those revenues are not now going to us or to AGEOD in all cases - we're still finding out about some of the places where the games were previously sent and working out what to do. We will honor and support all sales through any distributor, but if your interest is in supporting us or AGEOD please realize that purchasing from the AGEOD, Matrix or Slitherine stores is the best way to support future development.

3. The main reason for our pricing is to make sure that the developers within this niche, who make the kinds of games we all like to play, remain active and financially viable. It is our job as a publisher (and a developer as well) to make money for them and for us, which leads to the virtuous cycle where those games we all enjoy continue to get made. We have a lot of data, including data from AGEOD, that supports this pricing strategy as the best one for the health of this niche.

4. At $24.99 Pride of Nations is still very good value for the gaming dollar.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 45
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 1:28:46 AM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Simply wow! Another "yes" man sent from above. Folks if you buy this game on a disk at at a second hand shop for a buck and believe me this game is worth no more than five bucks it is legal!! Don't let ignorance prevail.

No "yes" man here. Just a case of bad command of the English language. Edited my post above to reflect what I really meant.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 46
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 1:34:54 AM   
rodney727

So what you are saying in general that you are planning to sell more games at a higher price to support this engine than at a lower price at pretty much all other sites? (Chuckling right now). Just trying to understand your logic here. Support further development of what Erik? This game or others??? Do you have plans in works for a dcl of this game? Even if its just "pen to the paper" say so. If not just say we want our investment back on this game. Be honest with your customers and don't dance around the subject like a politician you know better than that. No I'm sorry this is not a 40-50 dollar game. You are demanding prices that apply to 2010 not 2013. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for this game. It's fun but three years old and getting older. It's like demanding full retail on a 2010 car that has 75'000 miles on it in 2013. I wonder how many customers you would find to buy that car? But wait if you would buy this car at that price you would ensure that the maker of the car would always have a paycheck? I am sorry that the maker of that car sold thousands just like her and a fraction of what you are charging now. No you have not really covered anything really. I can't be the only one who feels this way and by judging the PON thread it is deadly silent. I feel justified.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think Iain has pretty much covered it, but we discussed this internally at some length today, going over all the feedback here and reviewing our decisions to make sure we were doing the best we could for AGEOD and our customers, so let me review the highlights.

1. We set the price for release on Matrix and Slitherine based on the same price AGEOD had been charging through their online store. We matched their price, we did not exceed it. That's the part of the price-matching which I was referring to earlier. Per our pricing, if this were a new release this would be more like a $40 or $50 game, but we matched the existing price for the AGEOD store.

2. The strategy that Paradox was pursuing with the AGEOD titles was indeed getting them out to many, many distributors and they were being sold at much lower prices in many of those places. We completely understand why this looks like a positive thing from the customer's perspective. The problem is, this was actually hurting AGEOD - the result of all that activity and low prices meant that they were not making enough revenue. Our goal is to allow AGEOD to thrive and develop games for a long time to come. Those revenues are not now going to us or to AGEOD in all cases - we're still finding out about some of the places where the games were previously sent and working out what to do. We will honor and support all sales through any distributor, but if your interest is in supporting us or AGEOD please realize that purchasing from the AGEOD, Matrix or Slitherine stores is the best way to support future development.

3. The main reason for our pricing is to make sure that the developers within this niche, who make the kinds of games we all like to play, remain active and financially viable. It is our job as a publisher (and a developer as well) to make money for them and for us, which leads to the virtuous cycle where those games we all enjoy continue to get made. We have a lot of data, including data from AGEOD, that supports this pricing strategy as the best one for the health of this niche.

4. At $24.99 Pride of Nations is still very good value for the gaming dollar.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 2:13:40 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 47
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 2:17:47 AM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

Please spare me. I'm not a "yes" man like you and most on here. And I can see by this you never worked a day in retail. Please don't BS me. I've seen it all. The way matrix/slitheine alienates its so called loyal customers is downright astounding. I often wonder how long a retail chain would last if they adopted matrix/slitheines polices. Not long I imagine. So you are saying a year and half ago I purchased a game illegally? I'm sorry this was not the "honorable " choice to make. And it's more like 22 bucks do the math.
quote:

quote:

Gimme a break guys

Ha ha , ok I guess I sorta had that attack coming, rereading my post it sounded way more personal than I meant, was supposed be be a little more tongue in cheek, pointing out the ironies of life etc..
As for the Yes man/ retail comments
I certainly am a yes man every time for women, “hey TGM, want some of this ?“ Hell Yes!
As for retail, done it, hoped I earned the right to never go back.
(and for the record I have never owned a single Ageod game, its really the because I like strategic or tactical, the grey area of Operational I have a hard time with..)
PON is different(strategic) and I likely will purchase it. Regardless of ones opinions, it really does look like its worth about 24 bucks… The anger over the pricing of GAMES is just beyond my simplistic beliefs system, ya know, live free or die, good vs evil, capitolism, etc.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 48
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 2:46:14 AM   
rodney727

Let me ask you this. If you bought a product for 1.99 then a year and half later wanted to buy the same product for 24.99. That's fine fore collectables and coins but not for computer games. Enough said? Or do you want to debate this further ? It looks like there is a committee of "three"here.
Mr. E. hay mr I what do you think we should charge for this game?
Mr. I. . I don't know how much do you think we can get out of a three year old game?
Mr. E. I dont know how about 40-50?
Mr. I. That seems steep but we do want to go to Orlando this year...
mr. P. we better lock this thread if people found out they could buy this game for 1.99 All hell will happen. We want people to buy this game!
Mr. I. How about 39.99
Mr. E. holy sh@t 1.99!!!!! How about 29.99
Mr. I. What about 24.99 and promise the people a new dcl and patch?
Mr.E. would that work? I can delay a patch and dcl I'm really good at that.
Mr.I. Yes!!! I will promise an iPad version that I of course have no intention of delivering! Just like I did with panzer corps!!
Mr. P. your a genius mr I !!!! But then again we are from the same country!
Mr. E. I will lock this thread if it gets out of control and ban rogo727!
Mr. I. That will show him!!!
Mr. I. Agreed. Make it happen.
Mr. E see you in Orlando mr. I AND P
Mr. I. Take care see you then
Mr. p :)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gimme a break guys

Ha ha , ok I guess I sorta had that attack coming, rereading my post it sounded way more personal than I meant, was supposed be be a little more tongue in cheek, pointing out the ironies of life etc..
As for the Yes man/ retail comments
I certainly am a yes man every time for women, “hey TGM, want some of this ?“ Hell Yes!
As for retail, done it, hoped I earned the right to never go back.
(and for the record I have never owned a single Ageod game, its really the because I like strategic or tactical, the grey area of Operational I have a hard time with..)
PON is different(strategic) and I likely will purchase it. Regardless of ones opinions, it really does look like its worth about 24 bucks… The anger over the pricing of GAMES is just beyond my simplistic beliefs system, ya know, live free or die, good vs evil, capitolism, etc.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 2:47:33 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 49
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 2:49:13 AM   
Hertston

quote:

We matched their price, we did not exceed it.

In the EU you have exceeded it. The AGEOD headline price includes VAT (and their prices always have), you add it on afterwards.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

And I am pretty certain that when some or as in this case probably all of the intended customers are liable to pay VAT (i.e. is a consumer rather than a business) stating or advertising a price that is exclusive of VAT is in contravention of HMRC and ASA requirements..

Sadly, no, at least as far as VAT law goes. The VAT figure is shown as an identifiable figure, as is the gross price before you hit the pay button as it is on the receipt. I've banged on about the headline price here for years, but for some reason whichever online store Matrix happens to be dealing with also happens to be the only one incapable of showing the expected gross headline price to EU customers.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 4/12/2013 3:02:22 AM >

Post #: 50
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 2:53:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Rogo,

quote:

So what you are saying in general that you are planning to sell more games at a higher price to support this engine than at a lower price at pretty much all other sites? (Chuckling right now). Just trying to understand your logic here. Support further development of what Erik? This game or others??? Do you have plans in works for a dcl of this game? Even if its just "pen to the paper" say so. If not just say we want our investment back on this game. Be honest with your customers and don't dance around the subject like a politician you know better than that. No I'm sorry this is not a 40-50 dollar game. You are demanding prices that apply to 2010 not 2013. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for this game. It's fun but three years old and getting older. It's like demanding full retail on a 2010 car that has 75'000 miles on it in 2013. I wonder how many customers you would find to buy that car? But wait if you would buy this car at that price you would ensure that the maker of the car would always have a paycheck? I am sorry that the maker of that car sold thousands just like her and a fraction of what you are charging now. No you have not really covered anything really. I can't be the only one who feels this way and by judging the PON thread it is deadly silent. I feel justified.

As explained above, our plan is for many, many more games from AGEOD by virtue of keeping them in the business of making games. We're in the process of adding the rest of the AGEOD catalog to our store and as AGEOD is now part of the Slitherine Group we are all funding future development of AGEOD games.

Your perception that a niche wargame somehow decreases in value by 90% over three years makes no sense to me. What has replaced PON? Since when is three years old for a niche wargame "old"? Sure, if other developers were making the equivalent of PON II, PON III and PON IV every year I would agree, but that's not happening. The reason is that these kinds of games serve a niche market which is underserved by the larger publishers because it does not fit their business models.

Using your car analogy, it applies well to a mass-produced car, but the car industry similarly has niches and specialized cars produced for a limited market. Those neither follow the same pricing nor the same depreciation as the mass produced one size fits all kind.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/12/2013 2:54:00 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 51
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 2:55:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Let me ask you this. If you bought a product for 1.99 then a year and half later wanted to buy the same product for 24.99. That's fine fore collectables and coins but not for computer games. Enough said? Or do you want to debate this further ? It looks like there is a committee of "three"here.
Mr. I. . I don't know how much do you think we can get out of a three year old game?
mr. P. we better lock this thread if people found out they could buy this game for 1.99 All hell will happen. We want people to buy this game!
Mr. I. How about 39.99
Mr.I. Yes!!! I will promise an iPad version that I of course have no intention of delivering! Just like I did with panzer corps!!

Hi Rogo,

Please keep the discussion civil and constructive. I'm not sure why you feel the need to make this personal and concoct imaginary conversations instead of reading what's actually been posted.

Do you honestly believe we are lying?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 52
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:09:34 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Your perception that a niche wargame somehow decreases in value by 90% over three years makes no sense to me.

90%? It was released at mid-price and was never $40-50. I suspect a large part of that was it's launch up against Vicky 2 that Paradox had released only a few months earlier so PoN's 'value' in that sense was prejudiced from the start. Niche wargames are no different from anything else in that the only meaningful of measure of financial value is what someone is willing to pay for them.

Post #: 53
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:09:35 AM   
rodney727

And you wanting to charge me 90% more for a game that's three years old defies all logic. Once again you dance around the subject matter. Business models Erik ? Please don't BS me. I paid 1.99 for this game a year and half ago. Now the exact same game a year and half later you want to charge me 24.99 for. I won't buy it. But at the risk of being banned I won't say any more.
quote:

Hi Rogo,

quote:

As explained above, our plan is for many, many more games from AGEOD by virtue of keeping them in the business of making games. We're in the process of adding the rest of the AGEOD catalog to our store and as AGEOD is now part of the Slitherine Group we are all funding future development of AGEOD games.

Your perception that a niche wargame somehow decreases in value by 90% over three years makes no sense to me. What has replaced PON? Since when is three years old for a niche wargame "old"? Sure, if other developers were making the equivalent of PON II, PON III and PON IV every year I would agree, but that's not happening. The reason is that these kinds of games serve a niche market which is underserved by the larger publishers because it does not fit their business models.

Using your car analogy, it applies well to a mass-produced car, but the car industry similarly has niches and specialized cars produced for a limited market. Those neither follow the same pricing nor the same depreciation as the mass produced one size fits all kind.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 3:27:30 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 54
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:31:07 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
90%? It was released at mid-price and was never $40-50. I suspect a large part of that was it's launch up against Vicky 2 that Paradox had released only a few months earlier so PoN's 'value' in that sense was prejudiced from the start. Niche wargames are no different from anything else in that the only meaningful of measure of financial value is what someone is willing to pay for them.

I read Rogo's post above as saying that even if it had been $50 three years ago, he wouldn't pay more than $5 for it now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 55
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:33:15 AM   
rodney727

Just makes me wonder if you did any research on what this game is being sold for now. I'm guessing not. I said this before but a good company improves with negative comments. They grow very little with positive comments. I just want you to improve because I love wargames and I want you to grow as a company.
quote:

quote:

Mr. I. How about 39.99

Hi Rogo,

Please keep the discussion civil and constructive. I'm not sure why you feel the need to make this personal and concoct imaginary conversations instead of reading what's actually been posted.

Do you honestly believe we are lying?

Regards,

- Erik

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 56
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:33:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Rogo,

quote:

And you wanting to charge me 90% more for a game that's three years old defies all logic. Once again you dance around the subject matter. Business models Erik ? Please don't BS me. I paid 1.99 for this game a year and half ago. Now the exact same game a year and half later you want to charge me 24.99 for. I won't buy it. But at the risk of being banned I won't say any more.

This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not making you pay anything for the game. We've simply set a price and you are free to pay or not pay, that's entirely your choice. If you bought it for $1.99 a year and a half ago, good for you. However, I am saying the game is worth at least $24.99 and that at $1.99 the developer was not getting enough revenue to make more games like this. The question I have for you is, do you honestly believe this is a $1.99 game and that at $1.99 there are enough people interested in it that more games like it will be made?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 57
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:36:45 AM   
rodney727

Yes it's an old game. Three years ago I would have paid more. I probably could go to office max and buy this games for 4.99.
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I read Rogo's post above as saying that even if it had been $50 three years ago, he wouldn't pay more than $5 for it now.

Regards,

- Erik

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 58
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:40:05 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Just makes me wonder if you did any research on what this game is being sold for now. I'm guessing not. I said this before but a good company improves with negative comments. They grow very little with positive comments. I just want you to improve because I love wargames and I want you to grow as a company.

That was not my job on this release, but I think it's fair to say that we didn't realize just how much discounting had gone on with this release and many of the other AGEOD releases. I think AGEOD themselves did not see the entirety of it.

I agree with you that constructive criticism is a key part of improvement. We do listen and your comments and those of others in this forum received a hearing inside the company today, with reflection on possible alternatives. We're posting here to explain our position, not to BS you.

This is a somewhat difficult situation as we are adding games to our store that are fully aimed at our niche, but have been sent out to the mainstream distribution channels with all that means in terms of pricing - it turns out it's been all over the map. Would you set the new price to the lowest price ever in a sale, the lowest constant price, the median, the highest? We still think the bottom line is that we need to make sure more AGEOD games are made and we honestly believe based on everything we've seen that matching the existing AGEOD price and in the process correcting a pricing policy that was not helping AGEOD is better than continuing on a path that was not working.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 59
RE: Pricing - 4/12/2013 3:44:49 AM   
rodney727

Fine yes it's worth more than 1.99. 24.99 no. Erik. It's going on three and half years old. I still have it on my my laptop. Let me ask you this? Do you have any dcls or a major upgrade for this game in the next three months? Then I could see the 24.99 tag on it. Also just booted this up. I don't see a matrix/slitherine symble anywhere.
quote:

Hi Rogo,

quote:

This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not making you pay anything for the game. We've simply set a price and you are free to pay or not pay, that's entirely your choice. If you bought it for $1.99 a year and a half ago, good for you. However, I am saying the game is worth at least $24.99 and that at $1.99 the developer was not getting enough revenue to make more games like this. The question I have for you is, do you honestly believe this is a $1.99 game and that at $1.99 there are enough people interested in it that more games like it will be made?

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 4/12/2013 3:53:10 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Pride of Nations >> RE: Pricing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI