Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/1/2014 2:14:24 AM   
LoverIan

Nevermind, fixed what I did wrong, thanks! Is there a way for me to use the original images for races, such as the Shandar or Zenox? I like your art, but I've gotten used to the way those races looked. Would it be simple as moving the images from said races out of the folder, and then using the ones from the original?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 451
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/1/2014 3:16:04 AM   
tilarium

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoverIan

Nevermind, fixed what I did wrong, thanks! Is there a way for me to use the original images for races, such as the Shandar or Zenox? I like your art, but I've gotten used to the way those races looked. Would it be simple as moving the images from said races out of the folder, and then using the ones from the original?

Yeah, just have to remove the images in images/units/races. To get the image to show up right in the galactipedia (say that right?) you have to go to the help folder and delete Race_(name) file in there.. so if you wanted to get the original human race you'd delete race_4 and race_4a from the images/units/races folder and then the race_human file from the help folder.

(in reply to LoverIan)
Post #: 452
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/1/2014 4:06:12 AM   
AnddyiRaynor

No he should be able to just paste in the pictures from the main version and not delete the help files because they merely load those images from the folder, they don't have them saved within that MHTML file. Not that he couldn't do that but there's no need to even if he just deleted those images he disliked within the mod folder that isn't higher than race_22 which is where this mod starts adding it's races.

Edit: Nope I'm wrong changing the image won't fix/change the galacticpedia image in the mods MHTML.

< Message edited by AnddyiRaynor -- 6/1/2014 5:17:30 AM >

(in reply to tilarium)
Post #: 453
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/1/2014 6:53:19 PM   
Byeohazard

If I have DW:Universe is DW Extended Universe 1.0 all I need to have the complete package or do I need to download the Shadows and Legends additions?
Thanks in advance!

< Message edited by Byeohazard -- 6/1/2014 7:56:10 PM >

currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 454
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/1/2014 6:58:58 PM   
pycco

no universe is all you need

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 455
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/1/2014 7:11:59 PM   
Byeohazard

Thank you much for the info! I should have keyed into "UNIVERSE" being the latest and greatest but read the title as a general name for the mod (if that makes any scense lol)..anyways thanks again!

learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 456
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/2/2014 1:42:39 AM   
Ardryn

So I started a new game with Extended and I turned off race events in the start-up options and so far I've had exactly zero crashes. So, I guess the next step will be finding out which race file and which event is causing me to crash.

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 457
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/2/2014 5:38:24 AM   
Byeohazard

I am using this mod combined with DAs Chrome Blue mod. I am finding that my overlays of state and private ship vectors not showing up. I also do not see influence showing up on the overlay. Whan I switch back to default I was able to see the overlays. Is this a design decision or did I perhaps goof on the install. Thanks in advance.

Upon further notice: It seems to be isolated to the Shadows expansion (perhaps I am missing a gameplay element)? I started games in other eras (Legends etc.) and overlays looked like they were working.

Searched some more and finally found some info. Gameplay element. I do not have warp engines.

< Message edited by Byeohazard -- 6/2/2014 7:26:11 AM >

learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 458
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/2/2014 7:14:37 AM   
Locarnus

I created an extended tech tree mod (called DW:U BalanceMod in honor of CaptainKwok's SE:5 BM),
which also has a version compatible with DW:U Extended 1.0.

The mod basically stretches the tech tree and rebalances early hyperdrives and some other stuff.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576

< Message edited by Locarnus -- 6/2/2014 8:16:04 AM >

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 459
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/2/2014 8:43:25 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

I created an extended tech tree mod (called DW:U BalanceMod in honor of CaptainKwok's SE:5 BM),

The mod basically stretches the tech tree and rebalances early hyperdrives and some other stuff.

I spotted that mod, sounds awesome, might have to check out how the game feels like that :)

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 460
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/2/2014 8:44:50 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ardryn

So I started a new game with Extended and I turned off race events in the start-up options and so far I've had exactly zero crashes. So, I guess the next step will be finding out which race file and which event is causing me to crash.

I wonder if it is the Yor racial event? I've had a crash with that a long time in the past and reported it. If anyone crashes with the Yor let me know and report in tech support forums please.

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 461
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races - 6/2/2014 8:56:06 AM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Locarnus

I spotted that mod, sounds awesome, might have to check out how the game feels like that :)

Thanks!
It is in an early stage and including/balancing the racial techs from vanilla and extended is only done rudimentary as of now.

My first priority at the moment is the early game pirate/ai empire balance and the overall research costs.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 462
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/2/2014 7:35:54 PM   
TheRevanchist

This mod is absolutely incredible. Thank you
Btw I made a reskin of your Extended Mod using Star Wars images found on this forum and elsewhere. Do you mind if I post it on the forum?
Of course I will give you credits

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 463
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/2/2014 11:10:36 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheRevanchist

This mod is absolutely incredible. Thank you
Btw I made a reskin of your Extended Mod using Star Wars images found on this forum and elsewhere. Do you mind if I post it on the forum?
Of course I will give you credits

Yep no problem, just link to the mod with any credits given

(in reply to TheRevanchist)
Post #: 464
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 1:39:36 AM   
vmxa_slith

Is there a site where I can down load this without getting any of the stealth apps? Stealing of my home page and the like? Don't mind paying real dollars, if need be. Just do not want any more ASK or Bing crap.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 465
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 2:26:06 AM   
vmxa_slith

FYI one of the things that managed to get install or attempted was one of those PC fixer apps. I tried to run Norton, but for the first time in years it got an error? Wonder how that happened? I had to reinstall Norton to run a scan. So all in all lost about 90 minutes trying to get a small download. That I still do not even have. So be warned.

Edit:

I just noticed that some engine called Voiced is now my search engine, so that for that. Now I will need to try remove that crap. Hope it is nowhere near as hard to do as Bing.

< Message edited by vmxa -- 6/3/2014 3:29:44 AM >

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 466
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 2:54:43 AM   
AnddyiRaynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: vmxa

Is there a site where I can down load this without getting any of the stealth apps? Stealing of my home page and the like? Don't mind paying real dollars, if need be. Just do not want any more ASK or Bing crap.

Just get adblocker and never get a ad popup ever again while you have it on. (Mine is a addon for firefox)

(in reply to vmxa_slith)
Post #: 467
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 8:55:05 AM   
Haree78

The link I provide is a direct link to my mod, a zip file. If clicking a link at mediafire doesn't provide you with that then you have been tricked by an advert to click the wrong thing.
As recommended by Anddy use adblocker, the internet is a much nicer place with it.

(in reply to AnddyiRaynor)
Post #: 468
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 6:29:49 PM   
Haree78

I've added a download link for the mod combined with Das's Chrome UI Blue mod 1.3.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 469
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 10:15:33 PM   
necaradan666

Is there any reason that extended includes the default weapon graphics? Are all the included help files edited for the mod or are they just base game duplicates? I'd suggest slimming the package down if these files are not required eg I'd prefer not to have clutter overriding the graphical mods I installed to my base folder when only torpedo_8 is actually needed as part of the mod.

Any chance you could add hull overlays/coloured outlines to the included shipsets ala GEM as an option?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 470
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/3/2014 11:56:47 PM   
Tcby

I'm curious about your reasoning behind not giving the Napoar a unique component. I'd think that their back story and colonization bonus would lend them to a cheaper colonization module. It would be seriously against their pacifist nature to use troop transports, which would normally be a large hindrance given that invasion is a far better choice early game: colony ships take a long time to build and represent something of a risk given that they won't necessarily work on independents. Was there some sort of technical limitation that prevented you from doing so, or was it a design decision?

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/4/2014 12:57:47 AM >

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 471
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 12:48:25 AM   
Haree78

@necaradan666
Help files and components are included because when I wasn't including them all the game would crash or stuff wouldn't show up.

I personally don't like the outlines on ships, but I can appreciate some would. Regardless, I wont be updating my mod to be compatible with other mods people create, especially cosmetic mods as there is a lot of them. So far other mods are mostly doing it the other way around and making theirs compatible with mine, which I really appreciate.

@Tcby
I looked at the possibilities I had with modding and wanted to give certain races some more unique feeling, I also didn't want to go overboard throwing in a ton of new tech with very little interesting added. It also had to add to the flavour of the race. And then of course there was some rebalancing. Napoar already get cheaper research for colonisation, a cheaper colonization module is a nice idea, one I didn't think of at the time, but I don't think it adds that much to the game really.
I did want to do some growth rate bonus research for races actually, not the Napoar, but I would have to add that tech to a unique component, ie. a unique colonization module and I didn't like the idea as unique colonization modules is pretty messy for next to no variety in stats.
I don't really understand your comment about troop transports, was it just in reference to making colonization as cheap as troop transports for them? I think the Napoar are really in a good place right now with their quick access to the various colonization tech and being able to colonize Volcanic from the start.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 472
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 12:58:42 AM   
Tcby

Thanks for the explanation, that all makes sense. Regarding troop transports, I was referring to an early game dilemma I've faced with using the Napoar. At the start of the game a top priority is to take over independent colonies, because their population is so much better than that of a planet you found yourself. With the Napoar their pacifist nature is expressed well in their pitiful troops. With this in mind, I do my best to avoid building troop transports because it doesn't make sense for the gentle robots to take over colonies by force. The down side is that despite having a bonus to colonization research, my actual rate of expansion early- mid game is very slow, because I'm building colony ships instead of troop transports (a build difference of many months). Because the Napoar don't have any bonus to construction speed there are also quite a few races that build colony ships faster than them, and so have an edge in that part of expansion as well.

For some reason the Napoar struck a chord with me, so I like to use them. But playing them as their personality suggests is somewhat...difficult. I often feel like I'm intentionally making a lot of poor gameplay decisions simply to fit with their personality.

But that's just one person's experience. I respect your design decisions and appreciate your work

< Message edited by Tcby -- 6/4/2014 2:43:25 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 473
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 1:48:54 AM   
Haree78

Oh I understand, it's like a question of am I playing to win or to role play. If it helps your conscience to not play optimally for the sake of 'how would my race handle this?' then there is a reputation hit for going the aggressive route ;)

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 474
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 2:44:56 AM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

I've added a download link for the mod combined with Das's Chrome UI Blue mod 1.3.

very nice, thank you so much for the time and effort

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 475
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 2:54:22 AM   
Wanabe

I think I found a bug with your mod. It seems that the Yl'Ta design templates don't get used because the folder needs to be named "yl'ta" rather than "ylta".

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 476
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 2:06:34 PM   
Haree78

Looks like you are right, I didn't spot it because it was putting the right weapon types because of research priorities, just not the right amount.
I will add a fix for the next game version where it looks like I will have to update lots of design templates anyway

For now they look like they are working pretty well even though they aren't exactly my design.

(in reply to Wanabe)
Post #: 477
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 6:57:33 PM   
AnddyiRaynor

Does that mean you should also rename the race file yl'ta.txt? Instead of ylta, it may not matter but it makes sense :P. At the very least if they don't realize to use the ylta designTemplates they will at least use the default ones.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 478
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/4/2014 8:45:49 PM   
TheRevanchist

ok Thank you!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 479
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 1:34:40 AM   
LeFoureur

Thank !

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0 released 40 races Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI