Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 races Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 6:29:57 PM   
Haree78

All races, including Extended races have ship templates written that are specific to them, that is what I reference when I say designs.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 511
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/7/2014 5:26:06 PM   
Ra131

Prime mod for game!

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 512
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/8/2014 12:32:08 PM   
Kulin

Hi,

i really like your mod but there are still a few problems, i've encountered:

1. I wanted to start a game as Lemeresh. They have the special technology "super laser". This laser is already researched when i start the game and the tech is at the very far right part of the research screen. And it seems to have no requirement or something.

2. New tech from Ancient Galaxy seems not to be in the mod.

Standard Ancient Galaxy Theme: i.imgur.com/WmiM6rh.jpg
Your Mod Theme: i.imgur.com/u0eUTVR.jpg

Is there a chance to get your mod to work with all the new things from ancient galaxy?

(in reply to Ra131)
Post #: 513
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/8/2014 2:32:59 PM   
ChildServices

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kulin

Hi,

1. I wanted to start a game as Lemeresh. They have the special technology "super laser". This laser is already researched when i start the game and the tech is at the very far right part of the research screen. And it seems to have no requirement or something.

Is there a chance to get your mod to work with all the new things from ancient galaxy?

My in-house version of the mod has the Lemeresh modded to use the Wekkarus wave gun instead, because it just seems so crazy for them to start with the death ray.

As for the ancient galaxy techs, it shouldn't be too difficult to add them, but it'd be extremely tedious. Merging research.txts from two different mods is just a pain in the ass, as I learnt from adding the colonisation unlock mod to this.
Basically, getting all of the techs from ancient galaxy will take you awhile, but fixing up the problems with the death ray lasers of death shouldn't take you too long at all. Find the locations of super beam weapons and planetary destruction/advanced superweapons in the research.txts of both the Ancient Galaxy and Extended themes, then you should copy the stuff over from Ancient Galaxy's research.txt that relates to these two things into Extended's one (overwriting the lines for those two techs in extended).

What you have to do after is endure the tedium of making sure that the techs you copied over from ancient galaxy don't conflict with the positions of any other techs on the tech-tree, and ensuring that their requirements are all correct.

I checked to see if you'd have to fix up the components unlocked by each tech, but you shouldn't. planetary destruction/adv superweapons both unlock "25" and super beam weapons unlocks "23" in both themes, so there should be no harm on that front with regards to just copy-pasting these over from The Ancient Galaxy.

I'd post my own version with the above but I haven't actually gotten around to making it yet. xD

I'd like to add this though:
11/10 would recommend giving the modding manual a read. It's really really helpful. Learning the basics of this stuff can be really beneficial for setting up your own games.

Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.

(in reply to Kulin)
Post #: 514
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/8/2014 5:22:55 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kulin

Hi,

Neither are problems, working as intended.

The Lemeresh aren't meant to be a player race, I think it says that in the Galactopedia?

(in reply to Kulin)
Post #: 515
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 8:42:17 AM   
pycco

LOL i was just watching stargate universe again, i noticed that a race they encounter is similar to one of the races in your mod. was this race inspired by the idea in SGU?

< Message edited by pycco -- 6/9/2014 9:44:48 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 516
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 12:10:33 PM   
Unforeseen

The Lemeresh start with the super laser!? LOL

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 517
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 2:06:42 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: pycco

LOL i was just watching stargate universe again, i noticed that a race they encounter is similar to one of the races in your mod. was this race inspired by the idea in SGU?

I haven't watched Stargate at all, I have only seen the Kurt Russell movie.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 518
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 5:02:17 PM   
pycco

nice, love the mod just found it very cool that different ideas from different SCIFI shows are in the mod i have started a game with the race now.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 519
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 6:21:45 PM   
FireLion1983

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

quote:

I haven't watched Stargate at all, I have only seen the Kurt Russell movie.

You should, fantastic show! :D

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 520
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/9/2014 6:52:17 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: FireLion1983

You should, fantastic show! :D

I probably should. I wouldn't feel right starting anywhere but the beginning and TV shows back then didn't have the quality of these days and way too much filler. So I'll have to be really out of shows to watch ;)

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 6/9/2014 7:52:50 PM >

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 521
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 2:39:39 PM   
gerishnakov

quote:

I wouldn't feel right starting anywhere but the beginning and TV shows back then didn't have the quality of these days and way too much filler. So I'll have to be really out of shows to watch ;)

I wouldn't say that SG1 (the first show) isn't[EDIT] particularly dated. If you can get past it being a little bit 'camp' (a hangover from the film) it's a great watch, as are all the series.

quote:

You're referring to Haree's modded race image for the Ackdarians, which is that of the unnamed hostile alien raced encountered in SGU.

< Message edited by gerishnakov -- 6/10/2014 7:18:39 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 522
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 4:52:10 PM   
Unforeseen

The original SG1 series is pretty solid for it's time.

(in reply to gerishnakov)
Post #: 523
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 6:19:06 PM   
gerishnakov

Whoops! I actually meant to say the show isn't dated. I love Stargate!

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 524
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 6:21:40 PM   
necaradan666

You can't go past macgyver for some great entertainment

Post #: 525
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 6:36:46 PM   
Mansen

quote:

The Lemeresh aren't meant to be a player race, I think it says that in the Galactopedia?

I don't believe it does - But good to know.

Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 526
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/10/2014 11:12:05 PM   
lurchi

I just wanted to say you did a great job, Haree78.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 527
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/11/2014 2:29:48 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

quote:

I don't believe it does - But good to know.

Opens up Galactopedia, selects Lemeresh.
"They are not meant to be played because they will have a big advantage for the player"

I actually set them to unplayable at one point but there was a bug where you couldn't add them as a random enemy AI empire, that has been fixed I believe so I might put it back in.

@lurchi Thanks :)

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 528
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/11/2014 5:52:14 AM   
pycco

yes that is one of the races i was referring to there are several more from the SG universe that the likes of are in the mod.

Post #: 529
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/12/2014 2:13:27 AM   
Tehlongone

I was thinking, after seeing your Authoritarian Eugenics government it occurred to me that it was possible to mod Corporate Nationalism.

It never really made much sense and only existed as a way to hamstring yourself or the AI. It literally had no saving grace whatsoever. It's represented as a dystopian government which is fine except maybe it should be at least marginally useful?

My suggestion: Rename to Megacorporation
Pros:
Nationalized private sector (tax whatever you want)
+20% growth
+20% income
+15% research
+30% troop recruitment
-40% maintenance
-40% troop maintenance
-75% war weariness

Cons:
+15% corruption
overall decay*

*Regarding overall decay I think it's within about a decade you get:
Reduces growth by 65%
Reduces research by 65%
Reduces planetary development (culture) by up to 65% (not below the 50% from population though). This cripples your income completely.

Even with all these improvements it's still by far the worst government with the benefit of at least being the most suited for war excepting Way of Darkness, provided you can manage to stay ahead in tech that is. If you do take it for short term benefit, it will even punish you for changing back.

It ought to at least offer the brief benefit mentioned in the description.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 530
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/12/2014 9:17:14 AM   
bugbear777

Great mod Haree78

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 531
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/12/2014 9:37:00 AM   
xatharas

Don't know if this is the place for this, but I started a game with a random race and got the Visareen. I checked the galactopedia to see their stat and under resource bonusses it says: krypton; +10 to troop strength when mined on the colony. Krypton is only mineable on gas giants though. Or am I wrong?

PS Great mod, by the way

< Message edited by xatharas -- 6/12/2014 10:37:44 AM >

(in reply to bugbear777)
Post #: 532
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/12/2014 4:59:52 PM   
Haree78

@Tehlongone
I like the idea of changing the Corporate Nationalism government somehow however I wont be doing that within this mod, I still want to keep the vanilla game as it is so that players can 'upgrade' to Extended and not feel they are playing a different game.

@xatharas
I'll have to check, when I created them I thought I checked what planet types resources spawned at, it's possible I messed up or more likely it was a mess up in the translation from Shadows to Universe where some changes in that area were made.

(in reply to xatharas)
Post #: 533
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/12/2014 10:07:58 PM   
Seraph86

hi haree78, thx again for this great mod, just one quick question:

can i use your mod without expecting some issues in the beta build or do you think i should wait?

thx in advance :).

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 534
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/12/2014 11:54:05 PM   
gerishnakov

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tehlongone

I was thinking, after seeing [Haree78's] Authoritarian Eugenics government it occurred to me that it was possible to mod Corporate Nationalism.

It never really made much sense and only existed as a way to hamstring yourself or the AI. It literally had no saving grace whatsoever. It's represented as a dystopian government which is fine except maybe it should be at least marginally useful?

My suggestion: Rename to Megacorporation

quote:

@Tehlongone
I like the idea of changing the Corporate Nationalism government somehow however I wont be doing that within this mod, I still want to keep the vanilla game as it is so that players can 'upgrade' to Extended and not feel they are playing a different game.

Corporate Nationalism = Fascism

I'm not sure why the devs didn't just call it that. Mabye there's some stigma attached to that word and people would feel weird using the government? I don't know. Either way it's a terrible government type. In my own mod I de-specialsed it making it available to everyone and now I've got an interesting situation in-game where two empires locked in war with each other have both adopted it! Art reflecting life methinks?

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 535
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/13/2014 2:02:33 AM   
ChildServices

Except it's not fascism. The Nazis actually encouraged free enterprise and for the most part let the market do its thing, as long as it didn't do anything that was bad for national or cultural health. They just, uh, "requisitioned" stuff from corporations when they needed it.

State capitalism doesn't really equate to whatever corporate nationalism is trying to be.

< Message edited by ChildServices -- 6/13/2014 3:04:27 AM >

Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.

Post #: 536
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/13/2014 3:14:53 AM   
Nopkar

So as far as a new race I'm of the robotic variety (I started a thread asking and found this as a result, still attempting to make my own but balance is a problem :( ) but if I may suggest a race? I've attempted to skim through all 18 pages of this thread to find if anyone has suggested this yet but maybe I missed it:

A race of semi-Artificial Intelligent mechanoids that are a product of a manufacturing error within their master core processes. Basically a hive-mind of robots based off of massive server blocks that act as 'governors' to the general population.

So thats the flavor, but gameplay wise how to we make them different? my inexperience with the game shows here as I'm not super familiar with all of the different races from this mod and vanilla but what I propose seems stupid fun to me:

- Heavy penalty to research. These machines have little free thinking and even less 'creative' thought. they follow procedures and standard protocols the majority of the time

- Increase in manufacturing speed. Robots do not sleep, they are brutal and efficient.

- Minor colonization bonus due to their non-organic nature

I'd personally like to add penalties and bonuses for days, tweaking the race to be entirely unique but I don't see more than 3 on most races so I decided to keep it small. Is this too close to another race or is it just another generic faction?

(in reply to ChildServices)
Post #: 537
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/13/2014 3:27:52 AM   
Haree78

That sounds something like the Napoar, check them out, they may be what you are after.
You can't really do a penalty on research other than lowering racial intelligence.

@Seraph86 The mod should have no issues with the latest beta patch.

(in reply to Nopkar)
Post #: 538
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/13/2014 11:23:37 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

That sounds something like the Napoar, check them out, they may be what you are after.
You can't really do a penalty on research other than lowering racial intelligence.

If you give them expensive racial techs for all important components, and disallow the common ones, wouldn't that be possible, even though it would be quite a lot of work? Not to mention it would clutter the tech trees.

Or disallow all but one government, and have the single racial allowed one give a huge negative research modifier?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 539
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/13/2014 1:28:06 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
If you give them expensive racial techs for all important components, and disallow the common ones, wouldn't that be possible, even though it would be quite a lot of work? Not to mention it would clutter the tech trees.

Or disallow all but one government, and have the single racial allowed one give a huge negative research modifier?

The first solution would make the tech tree awful. The 2nd solution is doable, and might make sense as the robots were programmed to do it one way ;)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 races Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI