Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/23/2013 6:32:23 PM   
zuluhour

I understand the frustration. IJN doctrine all leads to destruction by surface elements with commanders whom long for the chance to close on the enemy and defeat him at close quarters. Wonder if the AI mechanics add a mystery level of protection for them.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 571
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/24/2013 4:15:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Why does he want night bombings back?

He landed at Ramree with the Chindits (again, and still probably not at full strength after the Magwe adventure). This was fine, as there is no airfield and no port there so whatever he brings in will be subject to getting hit.

He tried for a few days to send transports which were intercepted (official patch interception working very well) and I think he was trying to LR CAP from Cox's himself on this last turn to see if these fighters would cover the transports. I anticipated that and sent sweeps and an air strike in at Cox's knowing that often LR CAP will protect the home field before flying over a distant base.

Sure enough, his entire fighter force was at 10k and our two high sweeps got about 8:1 on the day there.

His exact comment was; "The current rule about night bombing turned it totally useless. 50 bombers are to few to have any impact. As you've seen, I almost stopped night bombing. Your last Ki-44 sweep showed how necessary plastering the bases for those fighers is.

Next thing is LR-Cap. I have no means to stop you from killing 5-10 transports per turn, as you are CAPing my base and I can't sweep it. What can we do here? I see your need to CAP."

Interesting.

Night-bombing should be ineffective against an airfield as evidenced by trials in war, and the fact that he can still hit 3-4 planes and put 10-15 damage on a field with 50 planes every night if he chose to seems significant to me, if it's not to him. In fact he could hit 4-5 different fields with 50 bombers each and do quite a lot of damage still, so I'm not sure the problem.

So he's captured a base he can not support except at risk to his forces and now wants a rule change. I'm half thinking of letting him have it just so we can again see how silly night bombing is in it's effectiveness right now (at least using the official patch).

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 572
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/24/2013 6:00:14 PM   
JocMeister

Why the heck would he need night bombing? Why canīt he do like everyone else and "plaster the bases for those fighters" in daylight? Seriously? I wouldnīt budge if I were you. If you allow it he will set every available bomber he has on night attack and just start closing your bases one by one.

Ask him why he canīt do like everyone else?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 573
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/24/2013 8:05:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

Why the heck would he need night bombing? Why canīt he do like everyone else and "plaster the bases for those fighters" in daylight? Seriously? I wouldnīt budge if I were you. If you allow it he will set every available bomber he has on night attack and just start closing your bases one by one.

Ask him why he canīt do like everyone else?

Well, that is basically what I said, that he has every ability to hit those bases in the day. he can still use 50 bombers to take out 3-5 fighters on the ground and put 10-15 damage on the base if he wants to soften it for sweeps the next day.

He probably liked his one massive attack enough that he can't think of doing anything else now that would actually put his forces in danger. night bombing doesn't so that's what he wants to use.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 574
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/30/2013 9:57:22 PM   
obvert

This game seems to be on hold. After Torsten's request for an HR adjustment on the night bombing he's become very busy and hasn't sent any replies to my notes on the subject. So, another break. Or maybe more. We'll see.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 575
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/31/2013 9:31:03 AM   
JocMeister

I donīt understand his reasoning here at all. 95% of ongoing games have a HR or several to deal with night bombing yet he thinks its unfair of you to have one? I donīt get it all. As I said earlier I canīt understand why he canīt do like everyone else.

Its a shame since you vouched to play on despite the horrendous start you got but I doubt he will return.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 576
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 8/31/2013 9:38:57 AM   
obvert

quote:

I donīt understand his reasoning here at all. 95% of ongoing games have a HR or several to deal with night bombing yet he thinks its unfair of you to have one? I donīt get it all. As I said earlier I canīt understand why he canīt do like everyone else.

Its a shame since you vouched to play on despite the horrendous start you got but I doubt he will return.

I've thought this before, and then he came storming back doing three turns a day at times. I just don't know.

He is in politics now, and this has seemingly made his time more sporadically busy, and I did just get a note saying he is in the middle of a campaign right now.

Interestingly his request to reconsider HRs on night bombing also included all kinds of other thoughts on limiting capabilities I've shown a proclivity toward, like air transport, ASW, and even LR CAP of the base he's sending transports to reinforce. The last one is a bit odd since he took it knowing I have bases two hexes away and he has no airfield there! (Ramree Island)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 577
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 10:16:39 AM   
obvert

16 November - 15 December 1942
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME ON (AGAIN): After a hiatus Torsten has come back to do regular turns. We trade on average one a day. I've not updated the AAR much but thought I'd take a stab today since the game is still interesting, if slow. After the big move into the Andamans Torsten has been very quiet. He still has a lot of forces in the India area as I've learned through some recent recon, but I don't know the location of the Allied CVs. I'm thinking he will simply wait until Hellcats to do something bigger now.

SUBS: Torsten's subs have now largely been neutralized. He has stopped leaving them around the approaches to Kyushu after a few got HIT messages. They still haunt the approaches to Balikpapan, but 4 ASW TFs and two ASW air units are also here, so they haven't hit anything recently.

The IJN subs are concentrated in the Indian Ocean. About 30 are on patrol between Ceylon and the Andamans, and a few more are sitting at Victoria Point and Singers waiting, while a few are farther afield on recon and early warning missions. Only about 5 are in the Pacific, simply to get some possibility of early detection.

DEI: Units are very slowly filling in bases to form a defense. Scenario 1 has so few troops that there are large holes all over still.

PACIFIC: Some jousting has gone on around Port Moresby, and the Allies have sent about 100 fighters in several times, only to retreat after big losses. We've been getting about 1:1 down here, which is fine. Some Hurri IIc are in the area, which is interesting. He made a move to take Lunga, which was empty, but I've since bombed the fields and troops and the only unit here is a small garrison. He also walked to Terapo from PM but I've bombed that periodically, and it's still a level 1 field. There are four units there and it's easy to sweep and suppress any LR CAP for now anyway. After the latest sweeps I tried got less than positive results he's continued to base 120+ fighters in PM. I'm gearing up for some bigger sweeps with Tojo and A6M5 once the groups have all upgraded.

BURMA: Burma has gone a bit quiet. There is an occasional big sweep by the Allies but no major bombing runs. I sense a building of pools and troops. He has taken and solidified Ramree Island, but lost a few transports and 4 APDs in the process.

CHINA: This theatre has been the most active in recent months. Torsten has done a fantastic job of stymying my advances. He's got a good defensive line along the Chikhiang to Kweiyang [EDIT] line. I've not been able to break through in spite of weeks of bombarding by air and ground, bombing of nearby bases to reduce supply, and pouring supply in to keep my units well in the white. The Northern areas are static and I won't advance up there, even though there are possibilities. Due to our agreement to have a Chinese Reserve should China collapse there is no point going from the North as all retreating troops could simply pile into the mountains, and once I got to Chungking I'd have to stop anyway to give him the truce area. I'll not make such a compromise again.

It's a fun theatre, and I enjoy the maneuvering that has developed, which still involve bigger stacks as there are no stacking limits. I've got some new ideas, and still have interior lines to use, so there is possibility to get through in the future I think. I'd like to bag a bunch of troops and block the mountains mostly.

NORTH PACIFIC: I've not taken any of the Aleutians, and Torsten is building up Shemya and Attu in particular. I'm almost certain there will be a move here at some point. I'll build out from Hokkaido, but it's likely I won't have enough troops ready come spring 43.

ANDAMANS: Torsten landed the 100th Indian Brigade on Car Nicobar the last time he sent the fleet over, and it took him a while to extract the unit. I'm thinking this is one that combined into a division and he needed it absolutely, as he sacrificed about 40-45 PBY of various US and Brit models flying them out. I have a group of Rufes on Car Nicobar that basically became and expert group with experience in the 60-75 range during this. That has to be a big hit to his search ability in late 42 as well. I know the PBY are scarce. I thought about letting it continue, but eventually decided to kill off the remaining troops as the Brit replacements are so low as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR November 27, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Car Nicobar (44,62)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12349 troops, 163 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 517

Defending force 1942 troops, 33 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 5

Japanese adjusted assault: 212

Allied adjusted defense: 17

Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
340 casualties reported
Squads: 22 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
16th Division
2nd Raiding Regiment
Kure 3rd SNLF
14th Garrison Unit
1st Raiding Regiment
Yokosuka 1st SNLF
37th Const Co
27th JAAF AF Bn /1

Defending units:
107th RAF Base Force
100th Indian Brigade

100th Indian Brigade Wiped Out at Car Nicobar by attrition!!!

Allied Unit(s) surrounded at Car Nicobar

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 1, 42
CHINA: This was the shock over the river after a bunch of maneuver and deception which actually led 100k Chinese to move into the wooded off-road hex to the South. Still, even with a supply negative and a 1:1 attack we couldn't break through due to heavy disablements. It's been stuck here now for two weeks as I try to bombard, repair troops and try again. Two days later he had reinforced to 3400AV.

Ground combat at 75,50 (near Kweiyang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 107021 troops, 977 guns, 1699 vehicles, Assault Value = 4033

Defending force 66539 troops, 334 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2419

Japanese adjusted assault: 1434

Allied adjusted defense: 922

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
16225 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 1683 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 128 disabled
Engineers: 47 destroyed, 159 disabled
Guns lost 132 (3 destroyed, 129 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3379 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 466 disabled
Non Combat: 15 destroyed, 142 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 39 disabled
Guns lost 35 (5 destroyed, 30 disabled)

Assaulting units:
39th Division
34th Division
8th Ind.Mixed Brigade
56th Engineer Regiment
13th Tank Regiment
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
37th Division
53rd Infantry Brigade
57th Infantry Brigade
2nd Tank Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
1st Tank Division
15th Division
26th Engineer Regiment
21st Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
55th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
22nd Chinese Cavalry Division
51st Chinese Corps
5th Chinese Cavalry Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
73rd Chinese Corps
10th Construction Regiment
79th Chinese Corps
65th Chinese Corps
56th Chinese/A Corps
76th Chinese Corps
86th Chinese Corps
56th Chinese/B Corps
14th Construction Regiment
4th War Area
1st Group Army
5th Construction Regiment
22nd Artillery Regiment
8th Construction Regiment
12th Construction Regiment
9th Group Army
20th Artillery Regiment
1st Artillery Regiment
7th Artillery Regiment
18th Artillery Regiment
30th Group Army
4th Heavy Mortar Regiment

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 4, 42
AIR: There have been a few big days and lots of small engagements in both Burma and the South Pacific. here is a sample day that went well but ended up about even in losses overall, as most of these have recently. Our rule that defensive planes can go to any altitude band but offensive planes are limited to 2nd best tends to favor the defender.

Morning Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 34
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 92
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 10

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
1st Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(9 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 6 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 41 minutes
27th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(10 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
59th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(12 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 8 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 33000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
77th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (5 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(21 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 16 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 33000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
85th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(14 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
50th Sentai with Ki-44-IIa Tojo (4 airborne, 10 on standby, 22 scrambling)
14 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 33000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 33000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
64th Sentai with Ki-43-Ic Oscar (3 airborne, 8 on standby, 23 scrambling)
11 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes

Raid detected at 33 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 32
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 80
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 9

Allied aircraft
P-40K Warhawk x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40K Warhawk: 6 destroyed

Morning Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 86 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 68

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 14
Kittyhawk IA x 13
Spitfire Vc Trop x 14
P-39D Airacobra x 21
P-40E Warhawk x 20
P-40K Warhawk x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 2 destroyed
Spitfire Vc Trop: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 4 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
29 x A6M3a Zero sweeping at 31000 feet
13 x A6M3a Zero sweeping at 31000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Spitfire Vc Trop (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 37000 , scrambling fighters between 33000 and 37000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 18 minutes
No.76 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters to 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes
No.60 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 34000 , scrambling fighters between 27000 and 31000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes
12th FS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 14000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 32100.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
8th FG/35th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
347th FG/67th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 6 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters to 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
8th FG/80th FS with P-40K Warhawk (0 airborne, 16 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 30
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 64
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 8

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 32
Hurricane XIIb x 16
P-38E Lightning x 25
P-38F Lightning x 25
P-38G Lightning x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 4 destroyed
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 2 destroyed
P-38E Lightning: 1 destroyed
P-38G Lightning: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Hurricane XIIb sweeping at 31000 feet
13 x Hurricane IIc Trop sweeping at 31000 feet *
13 x Hurricane IIc Trop sweeping at 31000 feet *
19 x P-38G Lightning sweeping at 31000 feet
14 x P-38E Lightning sweeping at 31000 feet
19 x P-38F Lightning sweeping at 31000 feet

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 22
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 49
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 6

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk I x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 12
P-40E Warhawk x 175

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Kittyhawk I sweeping at 20000 feet *
12 x Kittyhawk IA sweeping at 20000 feet *
23 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
23 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
25 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
19 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
22 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
17 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *
17 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet *

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 18
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 40
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 17

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed

Afternoon Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 116 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 40 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
A6M5 Zero x 10
G4M1 Betty x 33

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 10
Kittyhawk IA x 8
Spitfire Vc Trop x 14
P-39D Airacobra x 10
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire Vc Trop: 8 damaged
P-39D Airacobra: 5 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground

P-40K Warhawk: 7 damaged
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground
Catalina I: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 61

Aircraft Attacking:
31 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a shot of China in the middle of the deceptive maneuver and river crossing.I had just sent tanks over to capture the bridgehead. The Allies bought the movement into the wooded hex to the South and I was able to cross with the full Army of 4.1k AV but only got a 1:1 on Dec. 1 with heavy disablements, so now everything is again static. new ideas and movement has begun and I'll update that soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/21/2013 2:12:04 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 578
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 2:00:46 PM   
obvert

ECONOMY

I've been pretty lax about maximizing things in the economic system. After all of the talk about supply, LI increase and how these situations play out in the end I'm curious how this one will be different. I was very carefree about it all for the first six months as I didn't expect to last long after losing three CVs on turn 2. I took risks and banked little.

Looking back now it's still not so bad. I'm a little low on resources in the HI as I've not been watching convoys from the North to Honshu and a few were not on CS, so haven't been hauling. I've just fixed that and the 4 million on Hokkaido will start moving over quickly now.

Very little is being sent to the South Pacific. I'd like to heavily focus on New Guinea and the Marianas while leaving the Gilberts, Marshalls and Solomons almost without opposition. I'll build the area around Rabaul and New Britain a bit, but the good troops will stay back toward the more vital areas. All of this should save supply.

The fuel looks good but since I didn't take Palembang until April and Miri has just finished completing repairs to its oil, that is a bit low. Torsten also crushed the Magwe oil relentlessly. The ship usage is low and has been for some time. No KB running around and very few other ships moving other than those hauling resources.

The HI should be at 800k by 1/1/43 which is fine. I'll bank another million or more in 43 and 44, so that should be decent.

Before the new year I plan to tighten the game up and get serious about extending it since it looks to be continuing now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/21/2013 3:01:36 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 579
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 2:12:16 PM   
obvert

ECONOMY (continued)

A look at the progress over time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/21/2013 3:13:34 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 580
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 2:22:29 PM   
obvert

VICTORY POINTS

It's not too bad, but really being under 2:1 as Japan in late 42 is a bad sign. I'm still optimistic though we can gain a bit here as more battles are fought in early 43.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/21/2013 3:22:55 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 581
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 4:48:26 PM   
JocMeister

Regarding China.

Go at it. Take the losses. He can never regain the disablements while you can. He will be out of supply about now or very, very soon. Once the units hits zero supply its game over in China for him. You need to keep the pressure up with combat and bombing from the air. Supply WILL run out!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 582
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 11/21/2013 6:39:27 PM   
obvert

Thanks. I can't stay put though either. I have to keep moving to counter his moves. Even moving troops costs him supply and makes him potentially lift up forts that have been built up.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 583
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/8/2013 1:23:50 PM   
obvert

16 December 1942 - 2 January 1943

STRATEGIC SITUATION: The game continues with little movement by either side. This confirms my previous suspicion that the Allies will either wait for the Hellcat, more troops, and a build-up of pools before moving forward, or that they are waiting and shifting vectors to another theatre.

The small KB is at Singers but may move to the Pacific to see if we can pick off under-supported movess there soon. The Allied CVs were last seen retreating to Colombo, but recent recon at this base and Cochin revealed no sightings of them.

SUBS: Only 5-10 Allied subs are working any of the sealanes and this is giving an ample opportunity to get a huge amount of fuel and resources moved quickly.

ECONOMY: The economy has stabilized, and an increased amount of HI is being saved each turn now that I'm thinking more long term in this game. Additional resource convoys are moving to the HI, rectifying a slight shortage there and fuel/oil are moving back quickly and unhindered by Allied subs so far.

CHINA: After continual blockages and stalemates in Central China, our forces have shifted using the rail system to (hopefully) overwhelm 7 units of 1300 AV blocking the gray road near Chikhiang. We've moved 5000 AV here and are attacking next turn. It'll be interesting if this breaks through. Chinese forces in the center may be forced to pick up forts and move out, thus opening new opportunities for advance in other areas as well. Fingers crossed.

PACIFIC: There is significant interest in Port Moresby and the New Guinea area. The Allies continue to send in 120+ fighters to PM that we continue to try to whittle down while reconning deeply with our new Judy units to see what else is happening. A small contingent of 4E are here at Townsville and they have bombed sporadically at Buna, but only during the night. The Allies moved up with a small unit to take Lunga, but our forces para-dropped and took the base back. I'll not build anything or reinforce, but that was a good opportunity to take away a freebee and make the Allies commit more forces.

After noticing no fighters covering Townsville I sent two long-distance G3M3 units into Rabaul, and they with the two Betty units here already (moved forward into range) attacked both the port and the fields. Only 4 B-24 were destroyed, but a number of CA/CL were damaged in the port. The next day only 3 DD were listed in port. It's possible a few sank, but that seems unlikely for Allied ships that are disbanded, so it's possible they moved out, putting the most damaged into a perilous situation. None appearing on the sunk reports yet.

The most interesting thing though is that British ships are here! Even a Dutch DD was hit which makes me think there is a complete shift to this theatre for the British and Dutch naval assets. This may mean a shift in strategic planning to take advantage of the less built areas of New Guinea or the DEI. I'm serious if the CVs are near. This strike might have made the Allied shift more difficult taking out 3-4 CL, 2-3 CA and a couple of DDs for the future ops in the area.

BURMA: Around 350 fighters are based at Chittagong, but only a few occasional P-38 sweeps have hit Burmese bases. A try at sweeping Chittagong yielded poor results, losing about 1:1.5 with a lot of pilots KIA or MIA.

The block near Ramree is continuing with no action and there is no sign of the Allied fleets. A recon mission recently (using Judys on a CVE) spotted 300k troops at Cochin, and there is continual sigint chatter rom this base, so it seems there is still a a focused interest in Burma, Malaya and Sumatra as potential invasion vectors.

NO PAC: The North is building in the Aleutians, and I'm wary of but expecting some move here in the spring. The Marianas have first priority for troops, then Hokkaido, the Bonins and the Kuriles.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 26, 42

Ground combat at Lunga (114,138)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 279 troops, 4 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 22

Defending force 65 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 16

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Lunga !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(-), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
96 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF /1

Defending units:
Samoa Det.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 29, 42

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 27

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 16
Spitfire Vc Trop x 16
P-40E Warhawk x 25
P-40K Warhawk x 66

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 1 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-45 KAIa Nick sweeping at 31000 feet

Raid detected at 101 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 33
A6M3a Zero x 25
A6M5 Zero x 52

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Beaufighter Ic x 1
Kittyhawk IA x 13
Spitfire Vc Trop x 14
P-40E Warhawk x 18
P-40K Warhawk x 60

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5 Zero: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
32 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 31000 feet
17 x A6M3a Zero sweeping at 31000 feet
18 x A6M5 Zero sweeping at 31000 feet
18 x A6M5 Zero sweeping at 31000 feet

7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 37000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes

No.60 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 2 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 13 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 34000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 35600.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes

Raid detected at 101 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 96

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 12
Beaufighter Ic x 1
Kittyhawk IA x 7
Spitfire Vc Trop x 13
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 32

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet
24 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet
29 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet
27 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet

Ground combat at 78,49 (near Chihkiang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 37470 troops, 422 guns, 1272 vehicles, Assault Value = 1427

Defending force 36940 troops, 162 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1448

Japanese adjusted assault: 802

Allied adjusted defense: 2098

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
5204 casualties reported
Squads: 13 destroyed, 164 disabled

Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 21 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 36 disabled
Vehicles lost 37 (3 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
715 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 122 disabled

Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Assaulting units:
3rd Division
3rd Tank Division
55th Infantry Brigade
20th Recon Regiment
1st Tank Division
56th Recon Regiment

Defending units:
4th Chinese Corps
44th Chinese Corps
20th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
6th War Area
20th Group Army

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 1, 43

Ground combat at 78,49 (near Chihkiang)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 138440 troops, 1390 guns, 1448 vehicles, Assault Value = 4979

Defending force 35971 troops, 160 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1341

Allied ground losses:
34 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st Tank Division
35th Division
20th Recon Regiment
104th Division
41st Division
3rd Tank Division
40th Division
61st Infantry Brigade
36th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
32nd Division
6th Division
17th Division
3rd Division
56th Recon Regiment
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion
12th Army
8th Ind. Engineer Regiment
1st Army
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
44th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
20th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
6th War Area
20th Group Army

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 2, 43

Morning Air attack on Townsville , at 92,144

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 116 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 61
G4M1 Betty x 17

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 38 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed on ground
Hudson I: 3 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground
Wirraway: 1 damaged
Wirraway: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
DD Kortenaer, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Perth, Bomb hits 2
CA Exeter, Bomb hits 1
CL Leander, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
CA Australia, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Indianapolis, Bomb hits 3
CL Achilles, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CA Cornwall, Bomb hits 1

Airbase hits 7
Runway hits 17
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
29 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 9000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
32 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 9000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
9 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
8 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Townsville , at 92,144

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 42 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 31

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 29 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed on ground
Hudson I: 11 damaged
Wirraway: 2 damaged
Wirraway: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Exeter, Bomb hits 2
CA Indianapolis, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CL Trenton, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Australia, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Fanning, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Perth, Bomb hits 1
CL Achilles, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Cornwall, Bomb hits 3
CL Leander, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 21
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
17 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

This shot of China shows the new area of interest near Chikhiang. There is nothing behind that all of t way to Chungking, but if there is a breakthrough, I'm sure some will fill in. Already there is movement in Kweiyang, and troops are trying to shift from Chikhiang itself into this hex, probably hoping they can make it before a decisive battle. Our troops need to win here quickly and if they do it will change the whole tenor of the theatre. In fact since we originally agreed to a Chinese safe zone should the whole theatre collapse, I might have to do something interesting here. I'd like to get the mountains cleared, the Chinese armies surrounded and destroyed for the VPs and then see about a ceasefire if my opponent wants that. I'll not stop going forward until I've achieved some real gains here though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/9/2013 7:57:09 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 584
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/12/2013 10:40:48 AM   
obvert

3 - 10 January 1942

STRATEGIC SITUATION: During the past days this has changed slightly. A breakthrough as predicted in China has led to the movement of virtually all previously static locked positions. This will now allow the speed of Japanese tank divisions to move ahead of the main stacks and create opportunities to block Chinese troop movements. It should also make the Chinese vulnerable without their forts and make them use supply in movement.

In the Pacific the strike at Townsville changed the theatre by forcing fighters back to cover that base, leaving Port Moresby open to the Netties. This base has been hit hard in the past week, showing damage in the 60s to the fields and hopefully the supply from flak expenditure and hits is causing some shortages. Terapo as also been hit to suppress field and fort building. There is no more indication that the Allies are turning their focus here, but the appearance of British ships int eh area still makes me think something is up.

The general goals of the next few months will be to continue buying out divisions for use in the Marianas, which I'm buying by regiment and adding onto the islands, to continue preparing for the Allied assaults on the South Pacific and/or the Sumatra/Malaya areas.

SUBS: About 2/3 of the sub force is shifting to the Java area to be more centrally placed. I'll add about ten to the Pacific, which until now had only five subs working the areas near the Solomons and New Guinea. Some will now move down toward Sydney and Noumea as early warning. Some will also move out to near Perth for the same reason. Any new subs that arrive will be allocated to the Northern vector which has only air search warning now.

DEI: There are very few troops here now outside Java and Sumatra, which are fairly well fortified. I'm bringing some new garrison forces down and adding any naval troops that arrive to this area.

An Aussie tank brigade moved unexpectedly through the desert to Broome. It took the base easily and is now being mercilessly pounded by two IJA and two IJN 2E units. I'll send in 5 BBs to bombard as well, and hopefully completely wreck this unit so it can't do anything else for a while. No signs of any other troops or movement toward Darwin.

CHINA: The troops near Chinkhiang took three days of continuous DAs to break the Chinese there even with a 5:1 AV advantage, two tank divisions and more supply. They finally got through and now with the armor pursuing the Chinese are falling apart completely. This has precipitated movement from all Chinese units North of the Kweiyang area block. I'm thinking they're heading to the mountains. That's fine as it just means I'll be able to isolate them better and knock them out. It'll take time and supply, but we should end up with some pretty well experienced troops in the end.

PACIFIC: In addition to the follow-on fro the strike on Townsville recon of Ndeni noticed some Allied ships there. I sent in a CA led SAG and both sank the three xAKL and bombarded the level 1 field. Luganville to the South looks to be more heavily built up and bases 35+ fighters and 40+ bombers on level 3 fields. Looks like there is some intention to move up in this area, which is great.

BURMA: Everything is still static here. Only a few sweep missions since the last report.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 9, 1943
Night Time Surface Combat, near Ndeni at 120,143, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kako
CL Tenryu
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami

Allied Ships
xAK Aldinga, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Aroona, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
xAK Mangola, Shell hits 15, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Moonta, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway
Reduced sighting due to 10% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 10% moonlight: 4,000 yards

Ground combat at 78,48 (near Chihkiang)

Attacking force 18579 troops, 360 guns, 1276 vehicles, Assault Value = 1436

Defending force 16995 troops, 81 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 250

Japanese adjusted assault: 643

Allied adjusted defense: 67

Japanese assault odds: 9 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
118 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
6316 casualties reported
Squads: 261 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 258 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 24 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 21 (21 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
1st Tank Division
66th Infantry Regiment
20th Recon Regiment
61st Infantry Brigade
3rd Tank Division
55th Infantry Brigade
17th Division
56th Recon Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
20th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
6th War Area
20th Group Army
44th Chinese Corps

This is from just after the breakthrough on about January 7.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/12/2013 11:42:04 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 585
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/12/2013 4:04:17 PM   
Lokasenna

What's the green (American) unit at Kweiyang? AVG ground echelon, maybe? Never seen green on the ground in Asia this early.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 586
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/12/2013 11:10:48 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

What's the green (American) unit at Kweiyang? AVG ground echelon, maybe? Never seen green on the ground in Asia this early.

No idea. Could be the AVG I guess. I haven't hit the troops to find out what kind of stuff is there.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 587
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/17/2013 8:41:18 AM   
obvert

11 - 17 January 1942

STRATEGIC SITUATION: A few things have changed since the last post. For one the Chinese are are on the run. All units seem to be heading for the mountains. That's fine as I think I can corral them there, run them out of supply and break them down slowly. I've got a bunch of heavy arty heading in to help wear them down now. A number of Corps will be trashed in the center, too. At least 10-12. Since this game is for points, that is good.

In the Pacific all is the same. No moves. A lot of building in the North at Attu and Shemya makes me nervous.

Burma is quiet and most of the sigint noise is coming from the West coast, West India, and Pearl. Hard to read anything off of that.

DEI: The IJN shifts focus to West Oz and subs extend to search off the South coast to look for potential CVs and invasion forces. We pound the tank unit at Broome and also lose about 15 planes when the Allies send in Beaufighters on LR CAP.

CHINA: As the map below shows, the entire theatre has opened up and is in flux. One break was all that was needed. I haven't heard from Torsten about anything in a long while. We don't' talk much, just send the turns. It seems odd to me he is heading to the mountains if he could just go to the central plains and save the troops in the proposed reserve safe zone. We'l see how it goes.

PACIFIC: Shut down PM and Terapo and got them to 100 damage. Took a few days off and low and behold the fields at PM were fixed. He sent in 100 fighters which downed about 50 IJN 2E. Not happy there. The fields now say 90 damage, so I'll try to see if we can trap those groups at PM and whittle them away. It would hurt him more to lose those 100 fighters.

BURMA: All quiet. Some forces moving toward the front on the coast through the Arakan. Nothing big according to recon, though. Maybe support and base forces for Ramree?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 11, 42

Morning Air attack on 3rd Army Tank Brigade, at 62,127 (Broome)

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 22
G4M1 Betty x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
189 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled
Vehicles lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Ground combat at 78,47 (near Chungking)

Attacking force 18571 troops, 360 guns, 1276 vehicles, Assault Value = 1464

Defending force 12495 troops, 63 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 187

Japanese adjusted assault: 635

Allied adjusted defense: 46

Japanese assault odds: 13 to 1

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
3866 casualties reported
Squads: 190 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 196 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 13 (13 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
61st Infantry Brigade
1st Tank Division
20th Recon Regiment
66th Infantry Regiment
17th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
3rd Tank Division
56th Recon Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
20th Chinese Corps
44th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Corps
100th Chinese Corps
6th War Area
20th Group Army
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 12, 42

Morning Air attack on 3rd Army Tank Brigade, at 62,127 (Broome)

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 22
G4M1 Betty x 29

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Ic x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
111 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Vehicles lost 8 (3 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 13, 42

Submarine attack near Karachi at 37,5

Japanese Ships
SS I-7

Allied Ships
TK Athelstane, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

TK Athelstane is sighted by SS I-7
SS I-7 launches 2 torpedoes

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 15, 42

Submarine attack near Karachi at 38,7

Japanese Ships
SS I-7

Allied Ships
TK British Energy, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

TK British Energy is sighted by SS I-7
SS I-7 launches 2 torpedoes at TK British Energy

Submarine attack near Karachi at 38,7

Japanese Ships
SS I-7

Allied Ships
xAK Bandra, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Bandra is sighted by SS I-7
SS I-7 attacking xAK Bandra on the surface

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 17, 42

Sub attack near Singkawang at 54,87

Japanese Ships
AO Tsurumi, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Magan Maru

Allied Ships
SS Snapper

SS Snapper launches 4 torpedoes at AO Tsurumi
Snapper bottoming out ....
PB Magan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 85 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 18
G3M3 Nell x 61
G4M1 Betty x 32

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 14
Kittyhawk IA x 16
P-39D Airacobra x 5
Spitfire Vc Trop x 13
P-40E Warhawk x 20
P-40K Warhawk x 60

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 6 destroyed
G3M3 Nell: 10 destroyed, 5 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 4 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 2 damaged

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 24

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet

About 600k troops are at Kweiyang. Our Western Army is moving up to near Chungking and then I'll see what the Chinese have chosen. If Kwaeiyang is abandoned I'll move to take that and go into the mountains. If not I'll initiate a conversation about our HR and attacking Chungking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/17/2013 9:44:09 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 588
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 10:11:26 AM   
obvert

18 - 31 January, 1942

STRATEGIC SITUATION: This game is still going! It's about 4-6 turns a week lately. Not too bad.

The Allies have gone into quiet mode and aren't moving anything anywhere. I do see some preparations though. The major viewable build-up is in Burma in the jungles at Imphal. A small movement is coming along the Arakan as well.

The Pacific is eerily quiet. I sense something big may come int eh next months. I've considered moving the KB with the the new addition of Taiho and another CVE to the Pacific. We'll still be short of what the Allies can bring, but you never know what can happen. My guess is that once spring arrives there will be a move in the North. I don't have much up there, so that would be interesting! Not a whole lot of troops available to move to defensive positions though. I'll focus on the inner Kuriles and Hokkaido for now.

SUBS: Some subs off of OZ got a few solo xAK. No sightings of combat ships or CVs unfortunately. Only a few US subs are operating near the HI, and a few in the DEI. Only one major TK lost near Balikpapan. I've been sending most ships back toward Singers and then around the Chinese coast from here.

CHINA: The Chinese collapse in the center of the +3 rough territory has changed the situation dramatically. It's a race to the mountains now. A few Chinese units have been hit around around Kweiyang, but most fled up and are nearing the Kunming area. I've not entered the central plains yet and will focus on the mountains to try to get through before an Allied assault in Burma opens supply routes.

PACIFIC: After a lot of indecisive and somewhat even battles over Port Moresby, I decided that it was best to conceed the air here and not worry about it. Let him come to me and lose planes over my own bases. I've still managed to get some good deep strikes to bases in OZ though with the G3M3.

The strike on the PM fields was a nice moment, just after the Banshees came in. The defenders kept the fields barely open though, and I didn't want to lose any good early war pilots to keep them closed right now since there is no real movement anywhere here and as this is not a strategic defense area for me this game.

BURMA: No air action, and only the major build-up at Imphal showing that the Allies are planning a move here. I'll defend lightly, always thinking of pulling back to good territory with high forts.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 18, 43

Raid detected at 22 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 30

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 10
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 3
Spitfire Vc Trop x 5
P-40E Warhawk x 13
P-40K Warhawk x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 6 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 28

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 7
Beaufighter Ic x 1
Kittyhawk IA x 3
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 4
P-40K Warhawk x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40K Warhawk: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 19, 43

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 21 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 23

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 7
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 6
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 35,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 27

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 7
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 3
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 6
P-40K Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Raid detected at 91 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 31

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 5
Beaufighter Ic x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 3
P-40K Warhawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed

Afternoon Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 42 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 27

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 4
Beaufighter Ic x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 2
Spitfire Vc Trop x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 3
P-40K Warhawk x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 32000 feet

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 8
Kittyhawk IA x 7
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x A6M5 Zero sweeping at 31000 feet

Raid detected at 106 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 42
A6M5 Zero x 21
G3M3 Nell x 68
G4M1 Betty x 33

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 7
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 5
P-40K Warhawk x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIc Trop: 3 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 5 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40E Warhawk: 2 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40K Warhawk: 15 damaged
P-40K Warhawk: 2 destroyed on ground
A-24 Banshee: 4 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 25
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 46

Aircraft Attacking:
31 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
35 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 8000 feet
33 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 8000 feet

Raid detected at 110 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 55
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 4

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 2
Kittyhawk IA x 4
P-39D Airacobra x 1
Spitfire Vc Trop x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 1
P-40K Warhawk x 10

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet
11 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 31000 feet

Ground combat at 75,50 (near Kweiyang)

Attacking force 85349 troops, 763 guns, 392 vehicles, Assault Value = 2900

Defending force 5429 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 225

Japanese adjusted assault: 2444

Allied adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 349 to 1

Combat modifiers
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
471 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 65 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Allied ground losses:
7220 casualties reported
Squads: 376 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 136 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 25 (25 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
39th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
53rd Infantry Brigade
15th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
34th Division
102nd Infantry Regiment
57th Infantry Brigade
37th Division
26th Engineer Regiment
8th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
21st Mortar Battalion
11th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
11th Army
12th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion

Defending units:
45th Chinese Corps

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 27, 43

Sub attack near Rabaul at 106,125

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
DD Sazanami

Allied Ships
SS Nautilus, hits 4

SS Nautilus launches 4 torpedoes at CL Tenryu
DD Sazanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Sazanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

Submarine attack near Newcastle at 93,167

Japanese Ships
SS I-169

Allied Ships
xAK Autolycus, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Autolycus is sighted by SS I-169
SS I-169 attacking on the surface

This game has been pretty sporadic and I've not always paid close attention to the economy. I almost let the HI run out of resources, but they're on the way back up now, and supply is really pushing up as well in the HI. More oil is being shipped in now to begin to fill the deficit after fuel levels reached a normal, non-spoiling situation in the DEI bases.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/11/2014 6:07:45 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 589
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 10:16:46 AM   
JocMeister

Stop playing the AAR and run our turn instead!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 590
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 11:40:01 AM   
obvert

quote:

Stop playing the AAR and run our turn instead!

Ha!

I could do that while students were working on videos, but not run the turn. Up now!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 591
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 4:08:06 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This game seems to be on hold. After Torsten's request for an HR adjustment on the night bombing he's become very busy and hasn't sent any replies to my notes on the subject. So, another break. Or maybe more. We'll see.

This is why I am leaning toward games with no or almost no HR's.

If you can do it in game, you can do it...

That eliminates most of this back and forth.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 592
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 4:56:26 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

This is why I am leaning toward games with no or almost no HR's.

If you can do it in game, you can do it...

That eliminates most of this back and forth.

Another sheep returns to the fold!!

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 593
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 2/11/2014 5:03:27 PM   
obvert

It is something that is more appealing, but it doesn't necessarily solve all of the problems between players.

Torsten has never mentioned that after he resumed playing consistently. So he either thought it wasn't worth it or is saving it up for a time when it seems appropriate.

This is still a pretty interesting game, but man, I do turns in about 10 minutes right now. Not much going on, so I probably miss a lot of stuff and am not playing my best, but soon I know he'll come for me. Then I'll get back in three-point stance and be ready to go.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 594
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/31/2014 5:34:11 PM   
obvert

21 April, 1943

CHUNGKING FALLS!!!

This game is still moving ahead at about 5-7 turns a week. It's been slightly asymmetrical with almost no action in the Pacific and a LOT in China and Burma.

CHINA: In China the long battle for the central plains has finally ended and Chungking has fallen in only a few weeks of fighting. He had only 4 Corps totaling about 1000AV here, with a lot of HQs and engineers. Instead of defending here he moved about 80 units (700k troops) into the mountains where they hold without supply. Most are on the road to Kunming, so I'll now try to move around to Tsuyung. I'd like to break into the middle and at least cut the road from Burma up here.

In the rest of China small units in the mountains near Sian (about 20 of them still holding out there) will be eradicated if possible, and I'll use the plentiful brigades to try and hit smaller units hiding the woods.

BURMA: The Allies have virtually every fighters and bomber unit in play in India right now. He's using everything from B-24s to Wirraways to bomb in Burma! There is a large Allied army of 5.5k AV near Katha in a hex owned on five sides by the IJA. We have about 3.2K AV there and a bunch of AA. Mandalay and Magwe are large air bases. The Tojo has done well to stem the tide here, and we've been fighting to a rough draw in the air. Even Corsairs and Lightnings struggle to gain dominance.

The really tough move, and a very good one that Torsten has made, is to send 2.5k AV of top divisions to Myitkyina, including Marines! The garrison, a regiment and a tank division there now with 3 forts. Not great. I'm trying now to extricate the tanks and let the rest go as rear guard to hold on a hex farther back near Lashio. Two more divisions are on the way to race up there.

Nothing else is happening anywhere else on the board. At all.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 21, 42

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Attacking force 105623 troops, 1144 guns, 1282 vehicles, Assault Value = 3093

Defending force 42276 troops, 292 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 522

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 1668

Allied adjusted defense: 373

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Chungking !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1845 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 182 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Guns lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (1 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
34667 casualties reported
Squads: 1700 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 4095 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 112 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 281 (281 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 33

Assaulting units:
15th Division
17th Division
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
104th Division
22nd Division
51st Division
36th Division
3rd/B Division
110th Division
3rd Tank Division
3rd/C Division
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
11th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
23rd Army
21st Mortar Battalion
5th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion
13th Army
Tonei Hvy Gun Regiment
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
8th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
12th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion

Defending units:
97th Chinese Corps
20th Chinese Corps
45th Chinese Corps
71st Chinese/A Corps
38th Group Army
22nd Artillery Regiment
11th Construction Regiment
19th Group Army
20th Artillery Regiment
CAF HQ
7th War Area
26th Group Army
5th War Area
18th Artillery Regiment
9th Chinese Base Force
27th Group Army
25th Group Army
3rd War Area
17th Construction Regiment
2nd Chinese Base Force
35th Group Army
31st Group Army
14th Chinese Base Force
1st Chinese Base Force
33rd Group Army
29th Group Army
Central Reserve
23rd Group Army
21st Group Army
41st AA Regiment
China Command
16th Group Army
49th AA Regiment

Not sure there is enough time to get the mountains cracked, but without supply you never know.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/31/2014 6:45:17 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 595
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 5/31/2014 6:23:17 PM   
obvert

BURMA

Here is a shot of what's happening in this area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/31/2014 7:23:43 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 596
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/5/2014 12:57:14 PM   
obvert

6 July 1943

STRATEGIC SITUATION: The game continues to move slowly after the Japanese have wiped China all of the way to Paoshan. About 1 million Chinese troops are huddled into that area of the Chinese mountains and I'm now building Tsuyung and Kunming into fortresses. The situation in Burma is a bit more fluid than the last report as Torsten walked some troops through the jungle threatening to cut off the main Japanese Army near Katha. I've decided it's time to move them back and fem a new defensive line, but I sense he's having some supply problems, as he hasn't pursued at all yet.

The Pacific has shown signs of life as Torsten now starts to push into the Solomon Sea. I've managed to win some air battles down here but no major naval battles yet. The Allied CVs made an appearance near Rossel Island and the TFs sunk three subs I sent in to give it a try. The Allies have just landed at Rekata Bay by fast transport. All of this area is open in an effort in my part to conserve resources, especially supply and fuel, not building below the line of Lae, New Britain and Rabaul.

CHINA: The current work here is to build bases in the mountains, get air support into them, and prepare defensive lines up there and along the coast. It's great to have the extra HI and supply generation of the Central Plains for a good while. I'll probably not buy out many troops from China though, trying to use the time and extra resources to really improve the defenses for later, especially along the clear terrain coastal hexes, getting forts up to 6-8 in critical areas.

PACIFIC: The movement by the Allies into the Solomon Sea and South tip of New Guinea made me decide to base the KB at Babeldaob so as to react within a few days if a major incursion is seen. I think he'll go slower based on current moves though. I'll begin getting small quick surface forces into the area to counter fast transport landings. He'll still be able to move forward though. The Marianas are nearly ready for defense, and some troops have still to be added to the Northern new Guinea coastal hexes. I probably have a few months to do these things.

BURMA: This is the area where the most action has continued to occur. Torsten had been very active in the air until recently when it seemed he might have left some sweeps on unintentionally, and they drove right into a large CAP at Mandalay, wiping out a bunch of P-40K and Hurricanes. He has the P-47D now though, and that is tough. We've just gotten some George groups going but the Frank is a good ways off still and the Tojo is still on the Ki-44 IIa version. Once he gets serious he could wipe away the CAP all over Burma. This is another reason I decided to pull back to the x2-3 terrain surrounding Rangoon and the edge of the hills.

A big stack of 150k Allied troops is building up along the Arakan near Ramree, where our blockade of mostly Thai units has held magnificently so far. The next attack will be huge though, and even the unit dug in with 5 forts could fold right away I'm thinking. I've decided to start bombing to see what we're facing here.

ECONOMY: The economy is chugging along. I had 2 million supply in Tokyo for a while, and that's dipped slightly with the final stages of fighting in China and the recent stuff in Burma. I'm now at 1.5 million and holding, which is way better than my last effort. Fuel is good at 5.2 million currently, with oil at around 750k. Total supply is about 4.7 million. I'm not using tracker, so this is all from the in game info screen.

I've been much more conservative about defensive build-ups, and the fuel situation should be really good since the KB and company have just been sitting in port for a long time. The Alied subs are starting to take a toll though, and new measures are being instituted to keep fuel/oil TFs safer and minimize their impact.

Here is the info screen. I'm no where near any kind of AV, but holding at double the Allied points, which seems okay for now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2014 1:18:05 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 597
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/6/2014 12:25:43 PM   
obvert

ECONOMY

Here is a small update on the economy plus R n D. The numbers look good to me so far, and if I can get the fuel and oil to Japan I'l be okay. Lots of escorts coming online now and more soon, so that will help.

Due to the slow nature of the game i've increased R n D to be more prepared for the end. I had hoped to be more conservative there, but it feels like Torsten is waiting for a massive push in late 43-44. I need to make sure getting everything I can into play during that time.

I really need NF, as he continues to bomb airfields at night, and even with our 50 plane per target rule it does take a toll. I'm fine with it, as it doesn't close bigger fields, but I'd love to be able to throw some NF in there over important targets, as my latest attempts to use fighters resulted in dozens lost for almost no effect on the bombers.

The HI savings is a bit lower than I'd like, but I wasn't really concerned with that after losing half of the KB on the second turn, so now it's building up at a good clip and should get to 2.5 million by 1/45.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2014 3:10:04 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 598
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/6/2014 2:03:53 PM   
obvert

CBI

This is where most of the action has been, and the Allies have managed to maneuver around our previously dug in position near Katha to force us to retreat to the valley. Amazingly, he didn't bomb the troops while they were moving. No losses were sustained during the entire route back, which is fantastic. The new lines are in red once the Allies decide to challenge and move forward.

Now the build-up on the coast looks to be getting dangerous. Lots of men here, and I know some are massive Chinese Corps of 900+AV. I'm considering sending tanks around knowing the Chinese don't like them much.

In the air the main forward base is Mandalay, with another major supporting base at Magwe.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2014 3:17:00 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 599
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/6/2014 2:29:56 PM   
obvert

SO PAC

This is the other active area. Lots of little stuff moving forward, which could have been happening for the past year, but is just starting now. I haven't had anything much South of New Britain the entire game. I'll keep fighting back with minimal forces, hoping to get him coming in close and closer with the big stuff, before bringing in the KB.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/6/2014 3:31:28 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI