Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 7/30/2014 4:25:08 PM   
Skyjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

Skyjack, I believe there is a completely different and unique shipset image for each race. Some are original and the rest are new. Is this what you are asking?

Yes. Thank you!

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 661
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 7/30/2014 8:22:07 PM   
Skyjack

Hmmm, can't get it to work. It's there, I selected it and after loading it says at the top of the start screen I've got it running, but it doesn't run the mod. Just vanilla races and no new UI when the game loads.

I'm using the combo mod in the OP - DWE with Chrome blue.

What am I missing here?

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 662
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 7/30/2014 8:41:41 PM   
Skyjack

Okay sorry...it was the first folder i had to get rid of...the one the zipfile dumps into. All seems working now. I can't wait to dig in!

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 663
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/1/2014 12:21:09 PM   
Skyjack

Hey guys quick question:

Started a game as Xhumans. I redesigned my constructors and changed the picture of the ships. After refitting, the constructors use their default picture, not the one I changed it to.

Now I'm so new to DW that this could be WAD as far as I know....is it?

Thanks.

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 664
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/1/2014 6:02:11 PM   
Fishers of Men

After your redesign and image change, did you build any new construction ships? Maybe the newly built ones will look different. Refitted ships might remain the same.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 665
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/1/2014 6:19:25 PM   
Skyjack

Hmmm thanks I will check. That could be it.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 666
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/1/2014 9:17:56 PM   
kestrelkb

Anyone else having a problem downloading the mod or is it just me?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 667
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/3/2014 1:55:02 PM   
Skyjack

So this is an amazing mod. I doubt I could ever go back to vanilla.

Has anyone seen the following? (Not sure if they are even mod related, I'm still a DW noob):

1) As X Humans, I can build all the "stock" ship designs. However when I design a Frigate, the altered Frigate will never show in any build selection. At first I thought it was lack of materials. Nope. Even if a take a stock Frigate, which is build-able, and take a single component OFF, it won't build the ship. It will ONLY build a stock Frigate.
So I try the same with a Destroyer and guess what? It builds any design I make! So the game or mod at this point simply will not build any redisegned Frigates for me.
Weird.

2) after redesigning my constructors and changing the ship pictures, the game refuses to use the new image. It will only use the given image, even if it shows a different image (the one I chose) in the design window

3) I cannot build space ports on new colonies with constructors but the colonies can do it. This is normal, yeah?

Thanks for any insights.

< Message edited by Skyjack -- 8/3/2014 3:05:22 PM >

(in reply to kestrelkb)
Post #: 668
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/4/2014 3:08:59 PM   
silentdeth

Would it be possible to add in a scavenger race? A race that get a bonus to tech acquired from dismantling ships, requires a lower reputation to trade techs, but has a research penalty. Maybe a bonus to maintenance too as their ships would tend to be slightly outdated, thus they would need more.

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 669
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/4/2014 3:35:36 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: silentdeth

Would it be possible to add in a scavenger race? A race that get a bonus to tech acquired from dismantling ships, requires a lower reputation to trade techs, but has a research penalty. Maybe a bonus to maintenance too as their ships would tend to be slightly outdated, thus they would need more.

1stly, i dont think Hareee will add more races , at least i got such impression during conversations with him,
2ndly there no such mechanics in the game / no modding feature to add what you suggest. the features you can mod are more less restricted to content of race.txt file of given race. There is another complex way to customise races, but for that you need to do big work for all of them, and that is creation of race-specific characters with race-specific sets of bonuses, and that is what already started in my project.
3rdly if you have race ideas you could do your mod or join to one ongoing projects and co-mod in them, then you will need much more design/details and some unique gameplay/mechanic to justify existence of a race. You are wellcome to suggest things i project i working on tho, there few race spots left, but i am aiming to add very polished and unique game-play wise races.

(in reply to silentdeth)
Post #: 670
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/13/2014 8:17:48 PM   
Skyjack

Hi. Is this okay to use with the new patch?

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 671
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/14/2014 3:52:20 AM   
Genome

Yes

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 672
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.3 released 40 ... - 8/14/2014 11:09:24 AM   
Skyjack

Thank you.

(in reply to Genome)
Post #: 673
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 8/14/2014 2:18:41 PM   
corwin90

New player here. Just stopped by to say the pictures of the races look AWESOME. Thank you for creating this mod.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 674
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/15/2014 4:11:23 PM   
Hermundure

I am very new to this game but:
Thank you for this great mod!

BTW, is it still beeing developed?

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 675
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/23/2014 12:46:01 PM   
AstroCat

Is this going to be updated to account for the new research options in the last patch?

research.txt and components.txt were changed.

< Message edited by AstroCat -- 8/23/2014 1:47:17 PM >

(in reply to Hermundure)
Post #: 676
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 8/26/2014 11:00:25 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: AstroCat

Is this going to be updated to account for the new research options in the last patch?

research.txt and components.txt were changed.

Yeah with todays patch another update is definitely needed!

(in reply to AstroCat)
Post #: 677
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 9/14/2014 2:41:05 AM   
Malakie

Do you have another download link? I am unable to download using IE or Chrome off of Mediafire...

Take it light...

Malakie

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 678
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 9/14/2014 11:44:26 PM   
el3ment

Being new to this forum, hello there!

1st of all - thanks for this mod Haree78, you did excellent job to give this game even more depth and replayability. I did use it for quite some time (since I purchased DW:U). To be honest, the main reason that draw me to this mod (at the beginning ;-) ) were Beksinski's paintings :-) Fell in love with rest of the content as well. Truly, great job.

Now, I reinstalled DW some time ago. Patched it, moded sligtly (GEM with planets/overlay fixes, some sound effects, that's all), downloaded and unpacked Extended. Started playing as xhumans, all fine and dandy... Well, the problem occured when i finished building of the Large Space Port. What's the issue? Well, station's there, it's clickable, but... Invisible. There's no art for it! Thought it's a marginal thing, but after some time it started bothering me. So I checked other buildings, and sadly, only small version of Space Port was visible. Went to check /images/units/ships/family32 . All units are there, with correct names and so on. After giving it some thought I noticed, that the "invisible" units are the ones with 96dpi resolution. Didn't have time to check other races, but my guess is that situation's the same. I didn't notice this issue when playing vanilla, and in vanilla "family" folders are lots of units with 96 and even 200 dpi resolution. Anyone has any idea, how to fix this issue? (I know I can change resolution in /for example/ IrfanView, but finding every non 72dpi image would be time consuming. Plus it wouldn't be perfect, because compression will screw the quality and with the least compression, files would be much bigger than original ones...)

< Message edited by el3ment -- 9/15/2014 12:46:33 AM >

(in reply to Malakie)
Post #: 679
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 10/12/2014 8:42:11 PM   
Knickers

One of them looks like a race of transformers haha, this is such a great set up mods. Thank you.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 680
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 10/14/2014 11:16:47 PM   
rch33z

quote:

ORIGINAL: el3ment
Now, I reinstalled DW some time ago. Patched it, moded sligtly (GEM with planets/overlay fixes, some sound effects, that's all), downloaded and unpacked Extended. Started playing as xhumans, all fine and dandy... Well, the problem occured when i finished building of the Large Space Port. What's the issue? Well, station's there, it's clickable, but... Invisible. There's no art for it! Thought it's a marginal thing, but after some time it started bothering me. So I checked other buildings, and sadly, only small version of Space Port was visible. Went to check /images/units/ships/family32 . All units are there, with correct names and so on. After giving it some thought I noticed, that the "invisible" units are the ones with 96dpi resolution. Didn't have time to check other races, but my guess is that situation's the same. I didn't notice this issue when playing vanilla, and in vanilla "family" folders are lots of units with 96 and even 200 dpi resolution. Anyone has any idea, how to fix this issue? (I know I can change resolution in /for example/ IrfanView, but finding every non 72dpi image would be time consuming. Plus it wouldn't be perfect, because compression will screw the quality and with the least compression, files would be much bigger than original ones...)

I have the same problem that several xhuman ships appear invisible in game, in the ship design window I can see faint shadows of them. Specifically the LSP, MSP, and research stations. Also, there seems so be a bunch of them in family31 as well judging by the ship graphics on the scroll menu.

< Message edited by rch33z -- 10/15/2014 12:37:21 AM >

(in reply to el3ment)
Post #: 681
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 10/26/2014 5:27:52 PM   
Knickers

I've been playing this mod as the humans and I have to say that it is much more unique and interesting then playing the normal game. I think one of the coolest aspects of this mod is the change of default designs for each race, I haven't touched the humans designs and they are researching a lot into specific areas much more then general areas, and this seems to be the same with other races, which in turn makes military encounters very interesting. I was at war with the Securans and they had developed carrier technology. We didn't have any true defense against their torpedo bombers so many of my ships died without a fight, and their ships didn't have much defense against my ships because our ships were able to chuck missiles at their ships and stay out of range of their weapons in every encounter. This clash of technologies and tactics is something that you would find if fighting an alien race in real life, and I thought it was awesome how it was added in this mod.

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 682
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 10/27/2014 3:37:26 PM   
Icemania

That sounds like the AI Improvement Mod version of Extended.

(in reply to Knickers)
Post #: 683
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 12/2/2014 8:25:34 PM   
tobi999

I have added to your 40 races 60 now it has races from 0 to 99 before I tried to add also ship models but it crashed, so its now just with your 40 ship models and 100 races! if somebody wants to down load it and add the ship models just ask I will send you the link, here I can´t post it nor the pictures of the races :(

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 684
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 12/24/2014 1:45:55 AM   
NephilimNexus

Could not load required image C:\Games\Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\races\race_40.png

Oh well... let me know when it's finished and I can play it.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 685
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 12/24/2014 11:44:30 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus
Could not load required image C:\Games\Distant Worlds Universe\images\units\races\race_40.png

Did you follow the installation instructions in the OP?

Specifically, the mod should be in installed in the Customisation folder i.e. NOT the folder you've listed. Then select Change Theme from the main menu and select this Mod.

There is no race_40.png in this Mod. It has 40 races, yes, but the numbering in the folder you have referenced starts at 0.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus
Oh well... let me know when it's finished and I can play it.

Dude, this is the most popular Mod there is for Distant Worlds. Many thousands of people play it without problems. I've played many games with it and never had a problem. Some of us have developed Mods using this as a base and never had a problem either. Personally I think the author deserves respect, and a lot of it, rather than snark.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 12/25/2014 12:46:57 AM >

(in reply to NephilimNexus)
Post #: 686
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 1/4/2015 7:08:42 PM   
MIC132

Does this work with 1.9.5.10 for anyone properly?

I can start a normal game fine, but I can't seem to start a pirate game, as it hangs on "Creating new Galaxy" infinitely. Any help?

EDIT: Scratch that. I can't start a pirate game even on default.. Any ideas what might be the cause?
EDIT2: Even better. It seems like I can't start a pirate game on 'some' settings, and I can on other (might have something to do with number of pirates? of course I didn't try to start a pirate game with no pirates, but with few apparently I can't)

EDIT3: Ok, so apparently those problems were on my side. Still, the tech tree changed, and while I tried to fix it by some copy-paste it caused some techs to overlap, making it impossible to research some of them. Could someone more experienced with editing tech files try to fix this?

< Message edited by MIC132 -- 1/4/2015 11:38:36 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 687
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 1/4/2015 11:29:34 PM   
JerichoRehl

I must apologize, but I can't get the modding guide to open on my computer for some reason.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to customize the galactopedia entries for these races (or the vanilla ones). I'd like to add some lines to them indicating with more clarity what their technology preferences are, but I simply can't figure it out. Anyone able to tell me really quick?

(in reply to MIC132)
Post #: 688
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 1/6/2015 9:16:21 PM   
UnfriendlyBG

I saw some things in this thread about some races not being designed for human play? Is there a list of such a thing anywhere? I think the OP was edited since then and I couldnt find anything jumping around the thread. thanks.

(in reply to JerichoRehl)
Post #: 689
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.2 released 38 races - 1/9/2015 8:01:32 PM   
MIC132

Any hopes for the tech tree/components fixes?

(in reply to UnfriendlyBG)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI