RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

tgb -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 3:17:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

That is surprisingly good.

If a little bit phallic [:-]

However, I would be more than content with artwork of that quality.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 3:27:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

"Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you."

Deto -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 4:06:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,
*snip!*
- Erik

[image]local://upfiles/9/2DB0493AAE5D40E097EBB44A6C7CE19F.jpg[/image]

Is this ZBrush sculpt? Really nice looking, but just wondering, I have hard time figuring out whenever its done wiht mudbox or zbrush :D

martok -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 6:05:33 PM)

quote:

I just hope the races are not cheesy stupid like in GC2.

Right. Because the races in MOO2 -- and at least half the space 4x games out there -- aren't "cheesy stupid" either.... [8|]

quote:

That is surprisingly good.

My god! A positive comment from Ashbery! I think I'm going to faint....

quote:

Hi guys,

The main reason we are reticent on featuring the races is that the last remaining piece of final art we've been waiting on is for the actual race pictures. So far we've got concept art as placeholders in the game and the artist is working hard to get them finished off this week. Hence they don't look good enough for a preview focused on the races themselves yet, and won't until right before release. I want to emphasize that it's only the final art we're waiting on there, the races themselves have been defined and working for a LONG time, but a preview without the final art is somewhat less impressive.

Here's one piece of concept art to tide you over. These are the Quameno, a peaceful race of amphibians given to puzzle-solving, science and the study of galactic history and languages.

Regards,

- Erik

[image]local://upfiles/9/2DB0493AAE5D40E097EBB44A6C7CE19F.jpg[/image]

Thanks for the explanation, Erik. It wasn't necessary, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Also, tell the artist that the concept artwork for the Quameno looks pretty damn sweet! Personally, I look forward to running into them and playing patty-cake. Whether that means "being nice" or "bloodily enslaving" I haven't decided yet. [:D]

EisenHammer -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 6:32:25 PM)

Nice... the alien actually looks believable in some weird way.
Now all we need is some space kicking chickens.

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 6:57:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

I don't know about you tgb, but I don't remember anything looking like this in...ahem... human anatomy lectures [&:]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 7:05:05 PM)

Are the minor races going to get unique artwork too?

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (2/28/2010 8:46:13 PM)

quote:

These are the Quameno, a peaceful race of amphibians given to puzzle-solving, science and the study of galactic history and languages.

This is all the preview of each race I am hoping for. I wasn't expecting a portrait. I was thinking a copy and paste short sentence from the files or manual would be nice and appreciated. I like the styles of races in these games and the diplomatic relationships that play out during epic games.

Yeah, the portrait is very good.

quote:

If a little bit phallic

I don't see that. I see an alien, amphibian race(person).

quote:

I just hope the races are not cheesy stupid like in GC2.

quote:

Right. Because the races in MOO2 -- and at least half the space 4x games out there -- aren't "cheesy stupid" either....

Yeah, in these games, it seems that races often look silly. Some games have them look very good though.
It seems that Distant Worlds might have good looking portraits. I just hope that there is a wide variety of body shapes(not all humanoid) and biologies.

-a robotic/android race
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological)
-a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race similiar to 'Zerg' of Starcraft, 'The Flood' of Halo, 'Tyranids' of Warhammer 40,000, or others similiar.
or others similiar.
-(one or more) insectoid race similiar to ants, wasps, mantis, and roaches
-a spider like race
-a crab like race
-an under water habitat race
-an ice habitat race
-a floater, gas giant planet dwelling race
-a scaled reptilian race
-a feathered avian race
-a furred mammalian race
-an amphibious race
-a tentacled race

I agree that Galactic Civilization 2 races are all very generic humanoid looking with little imagination used in design. I understand that it is good to have players be able to relate to aliens but to make them ALL humanoid(I think of Star Trek) is silly and boring to me.

cdbeck -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 12:59:11 AM)

I'm a big fan of the placeholder art, myself. In fact, I thought that they were the real deal for a long time while testing, until I was told it wasn't (I've seen indie games with worse ACTUAL art). So I'm excited to be surprised as the art gets adopted!

I am pushing for Elliot to keep the baby seal race though. They look cute, but strangely soulless and evil at the same time. And it also happens that the baby seal race is my favorite ones to play!

I think you guys will be very pleased with the art, what I have seen has been very cool!

Baleur -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 4:39:17 AM)

lol yeah, that looks better than i thought. That looks like a normal high budget game (even if its just a race picture) :D
I was expecting something horrible like in Space Empires or other games where the artists seems to have drawn / rendered the art without even knowing how to use the application :)
This is nice stuff [:)]

Delta_V -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 6:05:15 AM)

Very well done![&o]  It looks almost like a Mon Calamari met a Gorn in a bar and then....bam! we have a Gorn Calamari 

Duckfang -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 6:29:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I am pushing for Elliot to keep the baby seal race though. They look cute, but strangely soulless and evil at the same time.

Please do! I loved the Snafi in GalCiv2. Evil squirrel race, hooray.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 12:34:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckfang

Yeah that just about sums up the cheesy Aliens,badly told jokes and horrid lore that I hate about GC2.Even the ships in GC2 look like kids toys.

rhohltjr -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 2:05:23 PM)

quote:

Hi guys,
The main reason we are reticent on featuring the races is that the last remaining piece of final art we've been waiting on is for the actual race pictures. So far we've got concept art as placeholders in the game and the artist is working hard to get them finished off this week. Regards,
- Erik

"the artist" [&:] As in one singular. Bet he/she is busy! [8|]

Without artwork completed, how can you have your game manuals printed / ready for shipment?

If not, will they(manuals) be printed and shipped in from China/Pluto?

This is sounding very familiar....[:D][:D]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 2:37:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhohltjr
"the artist" [&:] As in one singular. Bet he/she is busy! [8|]
Without artwork completed, how can you have your game manuals printed / ready for shipment?
If not, will they(manuals) be printed and shipped in from China/Pluto?
This is sounding very familiar....[:D][:D]

People are accustomed to the AAA games with teams of dozens if not over a hundred people all working full time. That's not the case in this part of the market, so yes, one very busy artist. Give him your compliments on his art and he may work faster! [;)] DW comes with a PDF manual, which is completed, so no need for printing delays and your comment about printing in China as you should know only applied to the one huge manual for WITP AE which was also in color. All our other printed manuals are printed in the US.

Regards,

- Erik

rhohltjr -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 6:23:14 PM)

quote:

People are accustomed to the AAA games with teams of dozens if not over a hundred people all working full time. That's not the case in this part of the market, so yes, one very busy artist. Give him your compliments on his art and he may work faster! [;)] DW comes with a PDF manual, which is completed, so no need for printing delays and your comment about printing in China as you should know only applied to the one huge manual for WITP AE which was also in color. All our other printed manuals are printed in the US.
Regards,
- Erik

@Erik : [sm=00000506.gif] [:D]
@ unknown DW artist : [sm=bow.gif][sm=00000436.gif]
@ Matrix for printing manuals in US: [sm=Cool-049.gif]

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/1/2010 10:51:18 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckfang

Yeah that just about sums up the cheesy Aliens,badly told jokes and horrid lore that I hate about GC2.Even the ships in GC2 look like kids toys.

I agree with Ashbery76! Whole heartedly! Absolutely, 100% agreed!

A simple "agreed" from me would have sufficed also. :)

drillerman -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/2/2010 9:48:54 PM)

Printed in the U.S. Oh no, that means you'll be spelling disk instead of disc and center instead of centre and theater instead of theatre etc etc etc etc[:D]

Tycow -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/2/2010 9:57:19 PM)

The Quameno have received the 'Cute' stamp from my missus.

God knows what that says about me! [X(]

Wade1000 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/2/2010 10:36:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Printed in the U.S. Oh no, that means you'll be spelling disk instead of disc and center instead of centre and theater instead of theatre etc etc etc etc[:D]

Yes. So, they will be spelled the proper way. :)

The other spellings seem odd to us Americans; just as maybe ours seem odd to some other nations? Some nations and regions of nations just went different directions in using spellings and pronunciations from various nations and regions.

"Centre" looks like it should be pronounced "cen-tree".
"Theatre" looks like it should be pronounced "thea-tree".
Etc., etc., etc.

By the way, it's odd that Jean-Luc Picard(and others of his accent) calls Data, "Da-ter". There is no "r" in Data.
Then, oddly, in other words some do NOT seem to pronunciate the "r".
...etcetera.

Other examples:
-Cah instead of car.
-Caht instead of cart. If caht is cart to you then how do you say and distinguish cart from caught? heh.
-etcetera...

Words do have an "r" and other letters in them that need pronunciation. :)
I know. Your pronunciation of "r" and other letters is more subtle.

Uh oh, I hope we're not distracting this thread.

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/2/2010 10:53:54 PM)

This is where your language came from cousin, know your roots. [:)]

JosEPhII -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 12:05:40 AM)

Roots: Middlesex England to US/Virginia circa early 1700's.

[:'(]

English ancestry back to 1200 AD. After that it gets fuzzy. [;)]

JosEPh [8|]

Duckfang -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 12:18:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

Roots: Middlesex England to US/Virginia circa early 1700's.

[:'(]

English ancestry back to 1200 AD. After that it gets fuzzy. [;)]

JosEPh [8|]

That's not knowing your roots! I bet you don't even eat fish & chips.

Webbco -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 12:25:34 AM)

I find it really interesting how so many Americans are keen on finding out and declaring their descendancy, it's just something that's not a big deal for people in the UK. For example, when looking up profiles of present day Americans on websites like Wikipedia, it always states their parents descent...so weird! I guess it makes sense to be interested in where you've come from though.

Anyway, I digress...

DivePac88 -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 12:42:14 AM)

It is common thinking amongst us Colonials, as most of us have no longterm ethnic history. In my case my family immigrated to NZ in the mid-eighteen hundreds from Scotland. We know the Parish that the family came from, but because the Church and records were lost in an historic fire, thats it. In the area of the South Island of NZ that I live, the oldest building was built in the Eighteen-fifties. So you can see that if a family can trace it's history back three or four hundred years that's something!

Mad Russian -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 5:02:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

This is where your language came from cousin, know your roots. [:)]

This is where your language has evolved to. Respect it's current usage. American is the most widely used form of English dialect. Get used to it. [X(]

Does that count for knowing your roots?[&:]

Good Hunting.

MR

Sarissofoi -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 5:18:57 AM)

Bad info.
International english is most common.
People from all the world learn this in school and then surprise. British and American sounds difrentlyy and even have diffrent meaning sometimes.

Mad Russian -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 5:40:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Bad info.
People from all the world learn this in school and then surprise. British and American sounds difrentlyy and even have diffrent meaning sometimes.

Good Info. International English is American. Of course British and American English sound different they are different dialects of the same language. American is just the most commonly spoken form.

Good Hunting.

MR

Deto -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 7:40:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Bad info.

Good Info. International English is American. Of course British and American English sound different they are different dialects of the same language. American is just the most commonly spoken form.

Good Hunting.

MR

International written english is more or less American, but at least in Finland you're pretty much allowed to use which ever 'writing' form you want as long as you only use one (so no mixing American and British english). Spoken isn't. Its 'standardizied' spoken without British/American dialect :)

but why are we discussing english language at alien race related topic? :D

Sarissofoi -> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. (3/3/2010 7:59:39 AM)

Becoze we have Russians and Cats in it.
Cats rule and Russians are ruled by evil forces.
That is the only reason.
:)

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI