RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Bif1961 -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (7/28/2017 12:05:35 AM)

So maybe this proves the point that the Japanese already decided, they couldn't fight a 2 front war.

Macclan5 -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (7/28/2017 1:13:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

An aside. I read both sides.

Could be wrong, but it seems as if the "new shiny thing" of an incredibly early Soviet activation focuses the attention. The whole rest of the "regular" GC has to be prosecuted as well, and the Soviet ping-pong ball might detract from that, especially for the Japan player. Time ticks by every move, and while strat bombing and such is very important, it might steal time and clicks from the more mundane tasks of the 1942 Empire. Or the Allies too I guess.

I think this Soviet activation will be by far the most determinant factor in this game, but the rest of it has to be attended to as well. The more you can make him pay attention to Siberia, the better for you.

I do not read the Imperial AARs lest I am indiscreet through lack of attention [8D]

Fair observations Ser Bull. There still "is" an entire GC to play and observing the details of the basics are/will be important.

--

However based upon the results of last turn ...

The Allies can now engage in an aggressive war of attrition using (1) Soviet masses (2) Chinese masses and (3) against the home islands on the right shoulder - while Aussie' Americans and Kiwis punch on the left shoulder. I think our Allied General also holds all Burma and is probably fortified and prepared in Rangoon as well so the Allies can kick with the right knee.

The Japanese must now contend with supply demand and TOE upgrades just to hold the line in China let alone accomplishing the conquest of Singapore (the Japanese will have to bring A LOT), rebuilding of Balikipan, Palembang, and shipping supply home and too China. The Imperial Navy is still mighty but where will it get the fuel to attack ?

Both honorable opponents have played a very very interesting and aggressive start - especially Naval...

I think our "Good Guy" Ser Obvert needs only to continue to repeatedly punch the Japanese Shoulders until the Japanese cannot lift their arms... the occasional knee shot to keep oil / supply disruption in DEI....

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (7/30/2017 4:14:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

An aside. I read both sides.

Could be wrong, but it seems as if the "new shiny thing" of an incredibly early Soviet activation focuses the attention. The whole rest of the "regular" GC has to be prosecuted as well, and the Soviet ping-pong ball might detract from that, especially for the Japan player. Time ticks by every move, and while strat bombing and such is very important, it might steal time and clicks from the more mundane tasks of the 1942 Empire. Or the Allies too I guess.

I think this Soviet activation will be by far the most determinant factor in this game, but the rest of it has to be attended to as well. The more you can make him pay attention to Siberia, the better for you.

I do not read the Imperial AARs lest I am indiscreet through lack of attention [8D]

Fair observations Ser Bull. There still "is" an entire GC to play and observing the details of the basics are/will be important.

--

However based upon the results of last turn ...

The Allies can now engage in an aggressive war of attrition using (1) Soviet masses (2) Chinese masses and (3) against the home islands on the right shoulder - while Aussie' Americans and Kiwis punch on the left shoulder. I think our Allied General also holds all Burma and is probably fortified and prepared in Rangoon as well so the Allies can kick with the right knee.

I abandoned Burma early. I wanted to conserve British troops and let the Japanese flood in while hopefully not having enough early to protect Magwe if taken.

He's just now gotten to the middle of the valley. I've just left Magwe after Meiktila was captured and hopefully it will auto-flip and I can then begin bombing the oil! [:)]

quote:

The Japanese must now contend with supply demand and TOE upgrades just to hold the line in China let alone accomplishing the conquest of Singapore (the Japanese will have to bring A LOT), rebuilding of Balikipan, Palembang, and shipping supply home and too China. The Imperial Navy is still mighty but where will it get the fuel to attack ?

Singers may be the second bear of this game. It's still got 45k supply, 33k fuel and about 560 mines currently. The forts are nearing level 4. The crossing may be a tough one as troops now are at about 1210AV with all unit and HQ commanders replaced for anything regimental and above. If it take shim another month to cross they'l likely be over 1300.

I'm also thinking of the Soviet subs adding to the gaggle of Dutch and USN subs in the DEI and helping track down those injured capital ships on their way to the repair yards. Hong Kong is a bit dicey so he'll mostly have to go all the way to the HI for major repairs.

quote:

Both honorable opponents have played a very very interesting and aggressive start - especially Naval...

I think our "Good Guy" Ser Obvert needs only to continue to repeatedly punch the Japanese Shoulders until the Japanese cannot lift their arms... the occasional knee shot to keep oil / supply disruption in DEI....

I'll be punching! I'd like to get in more of a Jiujitsu hold soon with the subs and strat bombing throttling the IJ economy.

This game didn't develop as I'd thought it might with a quick Japanese strike at the SRA and a second level deep strike to India or OZ, but still fits into my starting premise that the logistics, resource movement and usage would be the important factor for both sides in the game, and that in whatever way I could I wanted to inhibit Japanese production and development.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/1/2017 4:27:30 PM)

Jan 26, 1942

DEI: IJN BBs announce their presence by taking out some PT boats I was trying to get to Singers. I'm contemplating changing HQ to USA in order to get US PT boats here. It's only 150 points.

The Japanese swept Singers with the Tainan group and we suffer but do take out a good number in return. He can't take these losses right now to his best groups after losing so many already.

CHINA: A tough day in the air in China as I forgot to turn off the bombers for Canton and Hong Kong. Jeff brought in some better CAP and the bombers were hit hard. These days happen, but I hate when it's my own mistake. I'll reset and then start some sweeps Hurris are also on the way in here.

The Japanese also begin to really target Chinese industry. This is bad in the short term, but maybe good in the long term if it means they don't intend to conquer and use that industry. I can't think of why he'd bomb it if he plans to move to take all of China. So I'll begin to plan as if China is a static game until Russian or Indian supply can build up in the next years.

SOVIETS: Harbin manpower is hit for about 7,500 fires. These seem to eat up the largest form of industry, which in this base is resources. I'm thinking the Japanese may struggle a bit with Toyohara gone and other resource centres being hit hard, plus the sub blockade near Hokkaido. I'll keep trying to hit these as well as other industry. It's a largely neglected need for the Japanese player but if you don't have enough it begins to hurt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 26, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Time Surface Combat, near Singkawang at 55,88, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Hiei
DD Amatsukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Sagiri
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Uzuki
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate

Allied Ships
PT-20, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT-27, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
PT-29, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

Improved night sighting under 71% moonlight

Submarine attack near Okha at 129,35

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
xAK Preapo Gopchin, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires

xAK Preapo Gopchin is sighted by SS I-16
SS I-16 launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Preapo Gopchin

Night Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 7

No Japanese losses

Manpower hits 7
Fires 981

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Night Air attack on Sian , at 83,41

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 8

No Japanese losses

Manpower hits 8
Fires 2879

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 35 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
P-38E Lightning x 15
P-39D Airacobra x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 8 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 6 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 25000 feet

Morning Air attack on Tarakan , at 67,91

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 21

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 11 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 11

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 9000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Canton , at 77,59

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15

Allied aircraft
SB-III x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SB-III: 10 destroyed, 4 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x SB-III bombing from 8000 feet *
City Attack: 3 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Canton , at 77,59

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Blenheim I bombing from 8000 feet *
City Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 27

Allied aircraft
A-29A Hudson x 2
H81-A3 x 5
Blenheim IV x 5
A-24 Banshee x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
A-29A Hudson: 1 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 2 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Blenheim IV bombing from 10000 feet *

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 25

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 5
Hudson IIIa x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson IIIa: 1 destroyed, 8 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Hudson IIIa bombing from 10000 feet *

Morning Air attack on Harbin , at 109,39

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
DB-3T x 36

No Allied losses

Manpower hits 5
Fires 1740

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x DB-3T bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on Harbin , at 109,39

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
DB-3M x 46

Allied aircraft losses
DB-3M: 1 damaged

Manpower hits 17
Fires 3925

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x DB-3M bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 10 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
DB-3M x 24
SB-2 x 23

No Allied losses

Manpower hits 4
Fires 4611

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x DB-3M bombing from 10000 feet

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
SB-2 x 31

No Allied losses

Ki-27b Nate factory hits 2
Fires 4611

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x SB-2 bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 6 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
TB-3 x 22

No Allied losses

Manpower hits 8
Fires 7490

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x TB-3 bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 8 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Too bad to lose so many SB-III a those are the best current bombers in China. We do get some A6M2 though, and the best part of that deal is that the pilots who went down won't be back, and those are the early war aces. [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/CBCD3D6516A343AEAF4E7128878EB697.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/2/2017 4:45:48 AM)

Jan 27, 1942

DEI: The main show is at Singers today as the IJN BBs move in but tangled with some mines. CM Abdiel laid 120 new Mk II mines over the past two days and was also caught up in the action, getting a drubbing but eventually escaping with 80 system and 40 float damage. I'll try to get her one hex back to Singers, but it doesn't look good. Still her job was done well, and just at the right time ...

... the Haruna takes one mine and Hiei takes two, while all of the DDs get one each. I had the string bags set to fly one hex and they all flew, got through the very light LR CAP (which was from Soryu, interestingly) and didn't get a single hit on the BBs morning or afternoon!! [sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif][:-][&:]

They did take out DD Akebono in the afternoon. More subs will be trying to finish them off tomorrow.

Anyway, this may spell the end of BB bombardments of Singers, or it should, anyway. Subs will continue to pile on and if Abdiel survives, she'll try to get patched up enough to keep the flow going.

Djambi takes a few more hits to the oil. [8D]

BURMA: Meiktila is taken. I'll be pulling out of Magwe in the hope it auto-flips and we can start the bombing! [:)]

The Burma division and about 6 base forces are in Myitkyina building forts and holding on. Lashio has a Chinese Corps that was bought out. I'll see if we can make these spots tough anyway.

CHINA: More strat bombing by the Japanese. Gotta get some fighter groups up at night here.

SOVIETS: Strat bombing doesn't go due to weather today. Troops are starting to move though. I'll try to get some maps posted soon.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 27, 42

Day Time Surface Combat, near Singapore at 50,84, Range 25,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Hiei, Shell hits 1
DD Amatsukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Sagiri
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Uzuki
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate

Allied Ships
CM Abdiel, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards

TF 195 encounters mine field at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Ships
DD Akebono, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Hiei, Mine hits 2
BB Haruna, Mine hits 1
DD Hayate, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Kamikaze, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

DD Uzuki, Mine hits 1
DD Amagiri, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Sagiri, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Umikaze, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Amatsukaze, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

4 mines cleared

Morning Air attack on Sian , at 83,41

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 9

No Japanese losses

Manpower hits 9
Fires 1918

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Namlea at 76,108

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
Do-24K-1 x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Do-24K-1: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Nojima Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Do-24K-1 bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 300 kg SAP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Ichang , at 83,48

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Allied aircraft
Hudson IIIa x 3
Hudson I x 21

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 16

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Hudson I bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Singapore at 50,84

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 4
Buffalo I x 1
Vildebeest III x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 12
P-40E Warhawk x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed by flak
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Hiei

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Vildebeest III launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Mk XII Torpedo
4 x Albacore I launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Morning Air attack on TF, near Singapore at 50,84

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2
Vildebeest III x 8
P-39D Airacobra x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Amagiri, on fire, heavy damage
DD Umikaze, on fire, heavy damage
DD Amatsukaze, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Vildebeest III launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x Vildebeest III launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 15000.
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on Djambi , at 48,88

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 5
B-17D Fortress x 2

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Oil hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 15000 feet *
City Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 5
P-38E Lightning x 3

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1/B with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
Hosho-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Namlea at 76,108

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Do-24K-1 x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Do-24K-1: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Nojima Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Do-24K-1 bombing from 1000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 300 kg SAP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Singapore at 50,84

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 14
P-39D Airacobra x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed by flak
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Hiei

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Vildebeest III launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x Vildebeest III launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 15000.
Raid is overhead

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Singapore at 50,84

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 4
Hurricane IIb Trop x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Akebono, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Albacore I launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Another clutch of zeros downed. Wish we could have finished off one of these BBs.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/BC06F337B0544DD493B4C2017F67581C.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/2/2017 3:12:59 PM)

CHINA

It's interesting to play a more static China. Jeff has shown little interest in moving forward or bombing troops or airfields here. I've got the AVG here, and the RAF is moving in. So there will be 100+ frontline fighters in addition to the Chinese riffraff soon. Bombers are weak, but there are a few of them around. I'll keep trying to hit any and all industry.

To the South there will be a slow build-up based on supply moving in. I'll try to pump it South to the Lanchow area too. I want this to be an area he can't ignore and that takes resources and supply from elsewhere to fight.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/88268E8F79F84D7FA18D56E31B501EB6.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/2/2017 3:50:36 PM)

BURMA

This is a minor theatre so far. I've backed out to save the troops. The Burma division is building up at Myitkyina and will fight there in good territory. The Chinese will try to hold the mountains. I'll try to bomb Magwe oil once it's turned to Japanese.

Other than that, I'll leave it all alone unless he doesn't manage to dislodge my deep mountain troops. If India is safe and Myitkyina holds, Indian troops will then move in, but only to get up into the mountains to hold them. I won't invest a bunch of troop into Burma as I'd like to buy them out and send them around to land on the Thai and Malayan coasts instead.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/6AA0E882E70F46C9A6410296CFA34E21.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/2/2017 4:04:31 PM)

SINGAPORE

The has turned into a fight where the Allies can do some damage. With P-38Es holding the fort and able to sweep anything with 3:1 results, the base has had a chance to solidify, for other fighter groups to gain experience, and for the forts to continue building (now at 3.85 and growing). Troops are at 1210 AV with all commanders changed for bigger units, some smaller as well, and for all army HQs.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/C7AA53A0D3A54EBAA1AC3812DD84A02F.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 3:44:55 AM)

USSR

It's so fun to have this area active!!

I've started to figure out more what these forces can do. The air groups are surprisingly effective easy before the 2nd gen fighter appear. There are a lot of bombers. I can't base them all where I'd like. Too many, not enough big fields. The MiGs are very good so far, too.

I'll be testing ground forces soon. Sending some toward Rashin, and I think this should start giving the Japanese nightmares. There are just a lot of tanks and arty here. Jeff has moved a bunch of troops forward to Koutou, likely trying to get to the clear hex of Khabarovsk, but with 4-5 divisions coming in to support and two in place now, it'll be tough to gain ground here. I'll aim to cut these off if I can.

I'd like to get Raisin and the base next door to get in MiG range of the central Manchurian industry. Yum. [8D]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/63E6B5CD558D40ECB3596167979026EA.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 5:04:39 AM)

Jan 28, 1942

SUBS: Subs get to and sink Amagiri among the retreating and damaged IJN DDs leaving Singers. No sign of the damaged BBs.

DEI: Lightnings sweep Djambi and crush the defending A6M2 and Oscar. Just popping here for a later raid. I'll sit at Singers tomorrow.

CM Abdiel does make it back and disbands at Singers. Gotta love Allied damage control. She'l be on pier side for a few weeks now.

CHINA: Changsha and Sian are firebombed. Very moderate results. Don't like losing stuff at Sian, but I'll take it instead of a Japanese push for all of China.

Our bombers try for LI at Wuchow, but come up empty in spite of no CAP. The AVG also can't hit any Nates in a sweep over Hankow. Shifty little buggers.

SOVIETS: Getting to the troops a bit now at Shikuka. Also got a decent list of what's there. Racking up a lot of port fuel and supply hits here too. [8D]

Some DB-3M take a shot at Honshu, hitting Yamagata oil. Not good results, but it's fun to get a shot into the body of the Japanese homeland regardless. A few TB-3 fly (very slowly) to Harbin and keep the fires going.

A few bombers and biplanes hit by Oscars at Koutou. That will not do. A larger response coming tomorrow.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 28, 42

ASW attack near Tandjoengpinang at 50,86

Japanese Ships
DD Amagiri, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KX

SS KX launches 4 torpedoes at DD Amagiri
KX bottoming out ....
Sub escapes detection

Raid spotted at 45 NM, estimated altitude 29,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 1

Allied aircraft
P-38E Lightning x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
Ki-43-Ia Oscar: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

Morning Air attack on Hankow , at 85,50

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 25

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 11

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
54th Sentai with Ki-27b Nate (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 13 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes

Morning Air attack on Shikuka , at 126,43

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
I-16m24 x 6
SB-2 x 34

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
151 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 5
Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x SB-2 bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Also attacking 39th JAAF AF Bn ...
Also attacking Shikuka ...
Also attacking Karafuto Mixed Brigade ...
Also attacking 39th Const Co ...

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
SB-2 x 60

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
171 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 15
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x SB-2 bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on Yamagata , at 116,57

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Allied aircraft
DB-3M x 37

No Allied losses

Oil hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x DB-3M bombing from 20000 feet

Morning Air attack on 11th Tank Regiment, at 116,41 , near Bikin

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 11

Allied aircraft
I-15bis x 11
SB-2 x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
I-15bis: 2 destroyed
SB-2: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB-2 bombing from 10000 feet

Raid spotted at 3 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Allied aircraft
TB-3 x 13

Allied aircraft losses
TB-3: 1 damaged

Heavy Industry hits 1
Fires 158

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x TB-3 bombing from 10000 feet *

Not bad, getting another 8-9 zeros. Also, the first raid to Honshu comes back with all bombers in spite of modest results. I'll go lower next time. [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/4DBEEAEBC59B459DA51425C5429823DF.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 5:09:10 AM)

RASHIN

Recon shows only what looks to be a brigade strength unit on the road to Rashin. We've got a LOT more than that coming in. It doesn't appear any nearby units are moving to support. I should have one division and a tank brigade in by tomorrow and they'll bombard before the rest of the arty, two more divisions and a few more tank brigades join.

I think the border defence units can be tough, but it looks like this hex is not adequately defended right now, so hopefully we can get to it before reinforcements arrive.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/C6F55AC1BFDE4D069C8E35D323B8F633.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 5:12:22 AM)

TOKYO IN RANGE

The Yorktown and Sara again close on Honshu, and again are undetected in range to strike. I'll avoid the heavy defences of Tokyo and try to support a 2E strike from Soviet territory with USN fighters and DBs hitting Hokkaido industry. A one shot deal, so I'll be praying for good weather.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/3BE45FD4278C45C0B4EE96C252494FA3.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 5:15:11 AM)

CM ABDIEL

I love this ship!!

She flanks in and drops 150 mines, then tangles with two IJN BBs and lives to tell the tale. She'll be ready to lay some more in just over three weeks.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/D14441FE66F64766B1001D500F50833C.jpg[/image]

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 7:52:14 AM)

Good show, good show. A Doolittle raid? A minelayer that takes a licking but keeps on ticking? You gents are providing some great AAR entertainment.

What's the BB you have in TF16?

Cheers,
CC

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 3:18:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Good show, good show. A Doolittle raid? A minelayer that takes a licking but keeps on ticking? You gents are providing some great AAR entertainment.

What's the BB you have in TF16?

Cheers,
CC

Thanks. It's the most fun in this game I've had, even after the early setbacks and devastating PH strikes for over a week.

The BB is Warspite, which at 24 knots is a bit faster than the USN BBs and has very good AA for this point in the war. I feel the speed compromise was worth it to include her for the AA, and if some bigger IJN surface forces show up then she can also provide good protection for the CVs.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 6:13:41 PM)

Jan 29, 1942

DEI: One of the big expert zero groups continued the assault on Singers by sweeping today. He probably gambled we'd be sweeping with the P-38s. In fact they were at 27k waiting to pounce. [:)]

The results were very good for the Allies, with a few P-40E bearing the brunt of the sweeps before the lightings and hurris dove in to knock down another dozen zeros. This can't be good for his pilot quality right now, and I can't think there are many replacement A6M2 in the pools after the early war losses, now up around ~270. Since the factories start at 56/month it may have taken until now to ramp up to 90-120 or so and the beginning pool is not that large. So I'll try to keep the pressure on. It'll also be good for the long economic war if he has to overproduce the zero now.

NORTH PACIFIC: Lots of troops piling into the Aleutians soon. I'll try for Adak once everything is in place if the KB is elsewhere. I've got three USN BBs up here for bombardments now so the naval guard there will not be enough if we get a chance to land again.

CHINA: More firebombing at Changsha and Chungking. I've added more night CAP to Chungking. I can lose the 30 or so supply production at Changsha but not the Chungking industry. Sweeps on Hong Kong tomorrow.

SOVIETS: The Hokkaido raid comes out a bit underwhelming. Bombers fly, but can't hit anything. Only the USN scores, knocking out Asahikawa oil (6 points) and a bunch of resources. The CVs will back up a bit and see if they can go for a few more hits. There is some kind of surface force at Bihoro, but my Walruses don't give more info than that. I've moved Warspite to the SCTF tagging along with 3 USN cruisers just in case.

The unit near Rashin is just a regiment. This could be ugly if there aren't high forts from the border fortress. It'd be nice to crush the heavy siege arty units here as those are some of Japan's best.

Steady progress is made at Shikuka against the Karafuto Brigade there. A few squads a turn disabled. I'm considering marching from Alexandrovsk with a division to try for the base. It's a gamble in the clear and close to Japanese bases that could mount a bombing campaign or naval bombardments, but would be awesome if we could take it.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jan 29, 42

Night Time Surface Combat, near Olga at 115,47, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Yuzuki
DD Sawakaze

Allied Ships
xAK Svyatozar, Shell hits 17, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Poor visibility due to Rain with 92% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Rain and 92% moonlight: 6,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...

Night Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 4

No Japanese losses

Manpower hits 2
Fires 3600

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 14000 feet

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 8
P-38E Lightning x 10
P-39D Airacobra x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 25000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.243 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27000 , scrambling fighters between 26000 and 31900.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes
No.488 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes
24th PG/3rd PS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 26600.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
24th PG/17th PS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters to 24000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
24th PG/20th PS with P-39D Airacobra (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 24000 and 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
21st PS with P-38E Lightning (0 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 27000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes

Morning Air attack on Muroran , at 120,52

Raid spotted at 25 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 4

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
SBD-3 Dauntless x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x SBD-3 Dauntless bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Asahikawa , at 121,51

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 18

No Allied losses

Oil hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x SBD-3 Dauntless bombing from 8000 feet
City Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Kushiro , at 123,53

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
TBD-1 Devastator x 30

Allied aircraft losses
TBD-1 Devastator: 2 damaged
TBD-1 Devastator: 1 destroyed by flak

Resources hits 15

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 5000 feet

Morning Air attack on Hankow , at 85,50

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Hudson I bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
I-153 x 15
I-16m24 x 6
SB-2 x 65

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
83 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 8
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x SB-2 bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on Muroran , at 120,52

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
DB-3T x 30

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x DB-3T bombing from 10000 feet

Ground combat at 110,45 (near Rashin)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 12205 troops, 339 guns, 170 vehicles, Assault Value = 1281

Defending force 7296 troops, 132 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 176

Japanese ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
42 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 4 (3 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
190th Rifle Division
1st Amurskaya Tank Brigade
47th Engr-Sapper Bde
126th Rifle Division
46th Engr-Sapper Bde
105th Rifle Division
3rd Amurskaya Tank Brigade
1194th BM Howitzer Regiment
424th Hvy Howitzer Regiment
1132nd Howitzer Regiment
1132nd Howitzer Regiment
78th/186th PVO AA Battalion
199th BM Howitzer Regiment
215th Howitzer Regiment
1192nd BM Howitzer Regiment
1134th Howitzer Regiment
52nd Cannon Regiment

Defending units:
88th Infantry Regiment
9th Border Defense Fortress
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
11th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
12th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
13th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Another 10 or so zeros downed.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/8A0A0F54642F4B448C4A7F8C5778324F.jpg[/image]

Lokasenna -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/4/2017 7:17:36 PM)

This is just Gratuitous Violence.

crsutton -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 1:36:39 AM)

Just started reading today and could not stop until I read through the whole AAR. A great read with some exciting battles. Personally, I felt you were on your way to a win-even with the loss of your carriers. I certainly would have taken over your side and considered it a even odds game against a good player like Lowpe. But make no mistake about it, this game is over and after seven weeks Japan has lost. The Soviet activation is just not sustainable for Japan. Win or lose in Russia, he cannot stand the resource drain that fighting an additional 30-40 divisions worth of troops will entail. It will be fun to read about and may go for a year or so but he has lost, and that is that. Nemo deliberately went all out against Russia in a game many years ago. He was a great player and proved that it just could not be done.

I really think he activated by accident. There is no indication that I can see that he was preparing for activation vs the Soviets. Anyways it will be fun while it lasts.

crsutton -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 2:23:04 AM)

Ah, I see it was an accident. He is screwed.[X(]

Can you lay out your warship losses to date?

And best estimate of his.

Also, haw many total oil points have you taken out? What with the new front this is probably the deciding factor.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 4:14:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Haha!

I wish it were that simple. The Russians look good against an out of place regiment, but there are better troops coming. [:)]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 5:26:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Just started reading today and could not stop until I read through the whole AAR. A great read with some exciting battles. Personally, I felt you were on your way to a win-even with the loss of your carriers. I certainly would have taken over your side and considered it a even odds game against a good player like Lowpe. But make no mistake about it, this game is over and after seven weeks Japan has lost. The Soviet activation is just not sustainable for Japan. Win or lose in Russia, he cannot stand the resource drain that fighting an additional 30-40 divisions worth of troops will entail. It will be fun to read about and may go for a year or so but he has lost, and that is that. Nemo deliberately went all out against Russia in a game many years ago. He was a great player and proved that it just could not be done.

I really think he activated by accident. There is no indication that I can see that he was preparing for activation vs the Soviets. Anyways it will be fun while it lasts.

Glad you've enjoyed it. It is the most fun I've had in this game yet, although the Greyjoy game was a blast too. This is just full on from day 1 and hasn't stopped. It gives me some hope that the Allies can do moe in the beginning than we usually give them credit for. With losses of course, but the economic hits Japan is taking in the DEI can't be easily solved.

I agree the Soviets are a deciding factor, mostly for the logistics, but also the troops. He just wanted to try it out, and of course I'm game, considering most of us don't get to play them at all. I'm pretty sure this game will go deep into the mid-game. He's got PDU-ON and will have really pushed the better airframes I'm sure. The Soviets airforce is big but old and has next to no reinforcements. The T-34 doesn't show until 44 and the other tanks stop producing in April 42. So there are things Japan can do in late 42-43 up here. That's why this phase is so critical. I've gotta go all out.

quote:

Also, haw many total oil points have you taken out? What with the new front this is probably the deciding factor.

I'll get some loss numbers up soon. Allied cruiser losses are bad. Japanese DD losses are severe.

For oil losses I don't have accurate numbers as I don't have recon on a lot of the bases hit, but off the top of my head I'd say 320-350 destroyed. Djambi will likely be completely wiped out once the 4Es are fully repaired, since the P-38s and Hurris can sweep there from Singers. I can hit Palembang at long range, and if I get a good hit on the fields and work the CAP down, I could do some work there too. Balikpapan is tough since there aren't may good Dutch fighters left and nearby bases are small, damaged or lack supply.

There has also been some significant loss to HI/LI, with a bit more to come at least, and being a DBB game with no supplies from refineries, every little bit counts.

Lokasenna -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 4:10:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Haha!

I wish it were that simple. The Russians look good against an out of place regiment, but there are better troops coming. [:)]

I was referring more to everything that's happening. Japan is surprisingly weak in January 1942, especially in the air. It isn't until late 1942 that they can really ramp up in any serious way.

crsutton -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/5/2017 4:55:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

Glad you've enjoyed it. It is the most fun I've had in this game yet, although the Greyjoy game was a blast too. This is just full on from day 1 and hasn't stopped. It gives me some hope that the Allies can do moe in the beginning than we usually give them credit for. With losses of course, but the economic hits Japan is taking in the DEI can't be easily solved.

I agree the Soviets are a deciding factor, mostly for the logistics, but also the troops. He just wanted to try it out, and of course I'm game, considering most of us don't get to play them at all. I'm pretty sure this game will go deep into the mid-game. He's got PDU-ON and will have really pushed the better airframes I'm sure. The Soviets airforce is big but old and has next to no reinforcements. The T-34 doesn't show until 44 and the other tanks stop producing in April 42. So there are things Japan can do in late 42-43 up here. That's why this phase is so critical. I've gotta go all out.

quote:

I'll get some loss numbers up soon. Allied cruiser losses are bad. Japanese DD losses are severe.

For oil losses I don't have accurate numbers as I don't have recon on a lot of the bases hit, but off the top of my head I'd say 320-350 destroyed. Djambi will likely be completely wiped out once the 4Es are fully repaired, since the P-38s and Hurris can sweep there from Singers. I can hit Palembang at long range, and if I get a good hit on the fields and work the CAP down, I could do some work there too. Balikpapan is tough since there aren't may good Dutch fighters left and nearby bases are small, damaged or lack supply.

There has also been some significant loss to HI/LI, with a bit more to come at least, and being a DBB game with no supplies from refineries, every little bit counts.

I don't think it matters how well your Soviets do. It is just the resource grind that is going to cause his economy to collapse. I don't know that it is wise for the Japanese player to even invade Oz or India (possibly a short troop and industry killing trip) as if they do not pull off and auto victory it just opens up a large third front that Japan can't afford to support. Not many Japanese players have enough experience with the demands of the end game and they tend to spend too much in the early years.

It is tough to play Japan. I admire those that can do it well.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:33:42 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha!

I was referring more to everything that's happening. Japan is surprisingly weak in January 1942, especially in the air. It isn't until late 1942 that they can really ramp up in any serious way.

It is surprising to me how easy it is to stretch Japanese air defences. Getting the 4Es into the DEI was the best thing I did in game.

The A6M2 is solid but fragile, and the P-38E just dominates, while the P-40E and P-39 are decent against it. For the IJAAF pilot quality is the difference, but if you hit them before the Nates are all switched out, you kill off a lot of decent pilots cheaply.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:36:53 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think it matters how well your Soviets do. It is just the resource grind that is going to cause his economy to collapse. I don't know that it is wise for the Japanese player to even invade Oz or India (possibly a short troop and industry killing trip) as if they do not pull off and auto victory it just opens up a large third front that Japan can't afford to support. Not many Japanese players have enough experience with the demands of the end game and they tend to spend too much in the early years.

It is tough to play Japan. I admire those that can do it well.

Well, that's definitely my hope. I have always wanted to hit the industry, oil and resources for Japan since I know what a struggle it is to make everything work even in the best of circumstances.

I had planned for either an invasion of India or a strat bombing excursion to OZ, but in the current game situation I can start to change my thinking and begin to take some risks in So Pac and move Indian troops forward to make things even tougher on the Japanese wherever they are.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:39:40 AM)

The 30th turn replay opened with the USN CVs being sighted by three different FP groups at night near Hokkaido. That didn't bode well for the next few hours. I didn't know the strength of the surface forces here, but soon got some indication of what we were facing.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/11E3B135F568415DA19BC16A7B75CA72.jpg[/image]

crsutton -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:40:26 AM)

[/quote]

Well, that's definitely my hope. I have always wanted to hit the industry, oil and resources for Japan since I know what a struggle it is to make everything work even in the best of circumstances.

I had planned for either an invasion of India or a strat bombing excursion to OZ, but in the current game situation I can start to change my thinking and begin to take some risks in So Pac and move Indian troops forward to make things even tougher on the Japanese wherever they are.
[/quote]

In my last campaign I spent hours managing my Soviets only to see my opponent resign the day the Soviets activated. This game I have barely looked at them. Have not even been training pilots. Guess I should-you never know what can happen.

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:40:57 AM)

A Russian sub stumbled on one of the IJN task forces in the night and gave me the shivers. I've had enough of the CAs for one game.

ASW attack near Kunashiri at 125,52

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
DD Mutsuki
DD Isokaze
TB Sagi
DD Asakaze
DD Shiranui

Allied Ships
SS ShCh-109

SS ShCh-109 is sighted by escort
DD Asakaze fails to find sub and abandons search

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:41:54 AM)

quote:

quote:

In my last campaign I spent hours managing my Soviets only to see my opponent resign the day the Soviets activated. This game I have barely looked at them. Have not even been training pilots. Guess I should-you never know what can happen.

I luckily had some pilots training fro day 1. And forts building. Happy about that now. [;)]

obvert -> RE: Beans, Bullets and Black Oil :: obvert (A) vs Lowpe (J) (8/6/2017 3:43:23 AM)

The day opened with some sweeps at Hong Kong. I wanted to see how th eRAF did here, and it looks like we got 1:1 even at max range. That's likely good enough once the bombers follow on.

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 1

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Hurricane IIb Trop sweeping at 22000 feet *

[image]local://upfiles/37283/BDAE4F1DE8B6428C9B6683835FBEB3B5.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI