Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 5/21/2016 11:06:04 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

So, its only taken them 116 years but Hibs have finally managed to win the Scottish Cup Final
warspite1

I remember reading that a few years ago. Shocking stat. How can one of the two big Edinburgh clubs never have won the cup?

And when it did, why the hell did it have to be against Rangers

This is turning into a really rubbish end of season.....

in terms of their ability to foul up when it really matters, Hibs are sort of the Spurs of Scottish footie. Having said that its a great ground to go and see a match at.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2161
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 5/28/2016 3:50:07 PM   
warspite1

League Play-off Finals

Good luck to the Owls - Sheffield Wednesday - and the Pilgrims - Plymouth Argyle - this weekend

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/28/2016 3:56:54 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2162
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 4:02:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

No TOP team with a minimum of self-respect, with a reputation to uphold will ever hire this sociopathic clown.

Okay – let’s keep a check on this.

quote:

Well, first problem Mr Mourinho has to face: in the three first leagues he burnt all the bridges behind him

Why? He supposedly ‘burnt his bridges’ when he left Chelsea the first time – what happened then?

warspite1

I don't want to say I told you so but......

Actually fwiw - and this may just be wishful thinking on my part - but I wonder if this is finally Joses's "bridge too far"?

Every manager ultimately has his shelf life come to an end - no matter how good and no matter how many trophies he's won. I will probably regret this in a year's time but my prediction is that he will struggle at United.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/28/2016 4:23:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2163
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 4:19:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

I will probably regret this in a year's time but my prediction is that he will struggle at United.

Want to make a bet out of it?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2164
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 4:22:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I will probably regret this in a year's time but my prediction is that he will struggle at United.

warspite1

No!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2165
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 4:45:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No!

I saved you a beer then.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2166
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 4:48:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

No!

I saved you a beer then.
warspite1

...but I'm not convinced I shouldn't.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2167
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 5:00:07 PM   
Orm

Think Zlatan will join Mr Mourinho during next week?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2168
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 5:04:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Who knows? The guy is 47 or something. What kind of a recruitment policy is that?!

Jose may not have much to thank Van Gaal for - but Mr Rashford and a couple of the other youngsters - Lingard and the right back whose name I can't remember may just save him a fortune in the transfer market. But will he use them?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2169
RE: European Championships - 5/28/2016 5:11:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Who knows? The guy is 47 or something. What kind of a recruitment policy is that?!

Jose may not have much to thank Van Gaal for - but Mr Rashford and a couple of the other youngsters - Lingard and the right back whose name I can't remember may just save him a fortune in the transfer market. But will he use them?

He is 35 and as good as he ever been. Youngsters needs experience in the team. And he is still hungry (I think).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2170
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 5/28/2016 9:30:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

League Play-off Finals

Good luck to the Owls - Sheffield Wednesday

warspite1

Oh.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2171
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 5/31/2016 7:24:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Surprised that Marcus Rashford is in the team? Do you think he will remain after the cut?
warspite1

I guess all of this is subject to injury - but let's assume there are no injuries ahead of the cut to 23 - so three must go (in bold)....

Goalkeepers:
Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Obviously all three make it

Defenders:
Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

There are only seven - two left backs, two right backs and three central defenders (but Dier can move into the back four if needed) and so I think all seven will make it.

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham), Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Andros Townsend (Newcastle), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Two to go here and this is more difficult. Personally I would drop Townsend as he is too inconsistent. I think the other one to go will be Delph (most likely - but a Hodgson favourite) or Drinkwater, but again I would not bet on it being Wilshire because he gets injured.

Forwards:
Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Typically you need four - at the most five. I think Rashford will miss out but I would not bet against Sturridge getting injured which lets him in.

Who would I leave behind? Sturridge (injury-prone), Sterling (massively over-rated) and Wilshere (injury-prone).
warspite1

Oh well 2/3 - I guess Rashford's goal against the Aussies did wonders for his cause...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2172
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/2/2016 4:53:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

"Manchester United want José Mourinho to stay beyond three-year contract"

I hope they can contain the mob [fans & pissed players] trying to torch Old Trafford and the Mighty Parked Bus much before this date... I´m lying... I hope they can't.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/2/2016 7:50:57 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2173
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 6/2/2016 8:00:10 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And on the other side of the city (Man City) Guardiola is showing his cards: he signs Gundogan, a creative midfielder So as expected, Creativity vs Destruction (the bus).

The newspapers have to love this scenario. They are possibly writing right now the articles they will publish in august, september, october, november...

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/2/2016 8:02:25 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2174
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2016 6:53:46 PM   
warspite1

Chelsea, City, Arsenal and United all splashing the cash - Chelsea and Manchester United in particular. What are Spurs doing about a striker?!?!?!

Post #: 2175
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2016 7:22:43 PM   
Orm

quote:

What are Spurs doing about a striker?!?!?!

They keep Kane and think that is enough?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2176
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/3/2016 8:37:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Given Kane needs a good long rest - and given we are in the Champions League next season - I would hope that is not the thinking chez WHL.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2177
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/4/2016 7:12:59 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Given Kane needs a good long rest - and given we are contenders for the Champions League title next season - I would hope that is not the thinking chez WHL.....

You made a slight error in your post. I fixed it for you.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2178
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/4/2016 7:14:37 PM   
Orm

So Mr Mourinho and Zlatan are both in Manchester United this season. Who would have guessed that. Oh, wait...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2179
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/4/2016 7:35:03 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

So Mr Mourinho and Zlatan are both in Manchester United this season. Who would have guessed that. Oh, wait...

Mr Hear-my-Bus-a-comin' tends to bring these sort of players. Nothing new.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2180
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/5/2016 5:11:30 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Mr Hear-my-Bus-a-comin' tends to bring these sort of players. Nothing new.

Our disagreement is not whether the bus will arrive, or not. It is whether he brings results, or not.

Post #: 2181
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/5/2016 6:21:16 PM   
loki100

anyway, the Europa League has started. It appears that Scottish teams are doing pretty well against the might of Malta's runners up and similar sides. But we in Glasgow have a problem. The best team in the city [1] needs a new volunteer to run around in this get up. Any takers?

[1] ok this depends a lot on how you define best but if you quite like watching football without having to listen to a particular view on Irish history then they most definitely are the place to go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/5/2016 6:24:52 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2182
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/5/2016 6:29:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

anyway, the Europa League has started. It appears that Scottish teams are doing pretty well against the might of Malta's runners up and similar sides. But we in Glasgow have a problem. The best team in the city [1] needs a new volunteer to run around in this get up. Any takers?

[1] ok this depends a lot on how you define best but if you quite like watching football without having to listen to a particular view on Irish history then they most definitely are the place to go.

warspite1

Err.........

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2183
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/5/2016 10:47:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Our disagreement is not whether the bus will arrive, or not. It is whether he brings results, or not.

Who knows.

But the bus is guaranteed, oh yes, as sure as night is dark and day is light

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2184
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/10/2016 5:55:43 PM   
loki100

realise you've all been waiting for an update on Scotland's glorious progress in the (very) early rounds of the Europa League.

Well Aberdeen managed to get past the champions of Luxembourg despite losing the second leg. They may yet make it to somewhere near the real competition.

Post #: 2185
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 3:59:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

realise you've all been waiting for an update on Scotland's glorious progress in the (very) early rounds of the Europa League.

Well Aberdeen managed to get past the champions of Luxembourg despite losing the second leg. They may yet make it to somewhere near the real competition.

Well, now that the Euros are over, we can pay attention to these small details. Luxembourg?

Warspite, anything to say about these news (or threats)? Sam Allardyce is obvious choice for England, says Sir Alex Ferguson

The long-ball brutes, "XIX century football" (Mourinho's words, not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOgToHw7ABI

The surrealistic part is that when Mr M. accuses Allardyce's team (first part of the video), he is in fact describing his own grotesque football style! Hilarious!

EDIT: and in fact Sam Allardyce to be interviewed for England job this week -- 11st of july

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 7/11/2016 4:04:15 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2186
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 7:48:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Warspite, anything to say about these news (or threats)? Sam Allardyce is obvious choice for England, says Sir Alex Ferguson

warspite1

Not really. We've had some decent players over the years - and yet, no matter who we pay huge amounts of money too - overseas coaches, established English coaches, champions league winners, younger English managers - the fact is the results are broadly similar.

Sam Allardyce as a footballer was an old school 'unit'. Finesse, elegance, skill are three words that would not be used to describe his playing ability - the very opposite of say Glenn Hoddle, but then regardless of the reasons he was sacked, their were rumblings of discontent before Hoddle was removed.

As far as being a manager is concerned, Allardyce has not done much in terms of silverware - but then he's not managed clubs that expect that. What he has done is achieved more than a degree of success through being able to organise a football team and get players playing to their strengths. He has proved a safe pair of hands.

Who knows? Maybe he is what the English game needs in that latter regard? The danger of course is that he will prove to be as incapable as Roy Hodgson in making that leap when managing 'better' players. I have no wish to kick a man when he's down, but I blame the FA for this latest debacle. They had the experience of Hodgson's brief tenure at Liverpool as a guide - or at least a warning - not to mention the disaster that was the last World Cup.

Personally I am a little bit in couldn't care less corner at the moment. The overpaid, over indulged losers don't deserve anything...

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/11/2016 7:52:17 PM >

Post #: 2187
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 7:55:36 PM   
Orm

quote:

The overpaid, over indulged losers don't deserve anything...

Talking about managers, players, or both?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2188
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 8:02:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The overpaid, over indulged losers don't deserve anything...

Talking about managers, players, or both?
warspite1

The whole English FA including the idiots that appoint managers on stupid contracts, the 'coaching' staff who apparently have never heard of the long throw-in and - most of all - the players who abjectly surrendered against Iceland.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2189
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 8:24:53 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Not really. We've had some decent players over the years - and yet, no matter who we pay huge amounts of money too - overseas coaches, established English coaches, champions league winners, younger English managers - the fact is the results are broadly similar.

Sam Allardyce as a footballer was an old school 'unit'. Finesse, elegance, skill are three words that would not be used to describe his playing ability - the very opposite of say Glenn Hoddle, but then regardless of the reasons he was sacked, their were rumblings of discontent before Hoddle was removed.

As far as being a manager is concerned, Allardyce has not done much in terms of silverware - but then he's not managed clubs that expect that. What he has done is achieved more than a degree of success through being able to organise a football team and get players playing to their strengths. He has proved a safe pair of hands.

Who knows? Maybe he is what the English game needs in that latter regard? The danger of course is that he will prove to be as incapable as Roy Hodgson in making that leap when managing 'better' players. I have no wish to kick a man when he's down, but I blame the FA for this latest debacle. They had the experience of Hodgson's brief tenure at Liverpool as a guide - or at least a warning - not to mention the disaster that was the last World Cup.

Personally I am a little bit in couldn't care less corner at the moment. The overpaid, over indulged losers don't deserve anything...

I think the Hoddle problem was he could never understand why someone else lacked his magnetic ball control - so was not actually a particularly good coach as he couldn't break down what he did, or tolerate those lacking his own level of skill?

The idea of Allardyce is terrifying - I mean the idea that the EFA are even going to interview him is utterly scary, that he might get the job is truely bizarre. I understand that some Celtic fans wouldn't mind having Rogers taken off their hands already - they've gone from pleased to get him to bemused at all the management psycho-babble he comes out with,

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2190
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI